The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maryland's House and Senate have this week passed separate legislation, only some details to work out between the two, that will allow all jurisdictions in Maryland to begin using speed cameras. The legislation says that tickets issued via cameras will allow a 10 mph 'buffer' for highway speeds, less for lower speed limits.

Most of the jursidictions in the central part of the state: Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Howard & AA Counties, PG County, have already said they're installing cameras as soon as the governor signs the final bill, and there is no doubt he will. So far, the more socially and politically conservative areas of the state, ie Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore, have said they will not be installing cameras. I'm betting that there will be cameras along the beach routes on the shore, though, by mid-summer.

Knowing how Maryland cannot keep its hands out of our pockets, those cameras will be everywhere by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Glad I moved. :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Speed cameras are great. Once you memorise their locations you just slow down for that bit and then continue on your journey at whatever lightening pace you care to take.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Have you memorized the locations for all of LA? Ever drive on a road that you haven't been on? Should private corporations financially profit from law enforcement? Should the State? The reason for the speed cameras given by Maryland's Governor is safety. The state is running a large deficit. Cut spending? No. Give 50% raises to your adminstrative appointees. Raise taxes, except for those groups that have an effective lobby. That wouldn't be citizens. Raise revenues in collusion with corporations that give money to politicians. That also wouldn't be citizens.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have you memorized the locations for all of LA? Ever drive on a road that you haven't been on? Should private corporations financially profit from law enforcement? Should the State? The reason for the speed cameras given by Maryland's Governor is safety. The state is running a large deficit. Cut spending? No. Give 50% raises to your adminstrative appointees. Raise taxes, except for those groups that have an effective lobby. That wouldn't be citizens. Raise revenues in collusion with corporations that give money to politicians. That also wouldn't be citizens.

You've got it, brother, although I see the corporate connection a bit differently. If there is a more corporation unfriendly state government than Maryland in the U.S., I've no idea what state that might be. I only half-jokingly believe the current administration's goal is for all Maryland citizens to work directly for the state, or indirectly through the school systems.

The jurisdictions that are all hot to install the cameras are the ones with the heaviest traffic, and the ones through which most of the traffic travels when folks are going north/south through Maryland. The cameras will not be limited to interstates, or even 4 lane state roads. They will be putting them everywhere. Interstates, city/town/residential...you name it. That's the way the People's Republic of Maryland does things.

It's revenue, pure and simple. And lots of it. Again, the pushback if from the fringe conservative areas (eastern shore and western Maryland) while the less-than-conservatives in the middle of the state salivate over the new revenue stream.

Folks, if you're going through Maryland this summer, do the speed limit or you'll be getting a ticket/bill in the mail. To the comment about the quality of the image driving the consequence...I saw on the History channel last night a documentary on the Autobahn. It said they give almost all tickets for tailgating, not speeding. And tailgating tickets have gone as high as $20K (they fine by wealth). They demonstrated the imaging system. Gets the tag, the car, and the image of the driver. Pretty sophisticated. I've no doubt MD will install whatever the state of the art is. The ROI will justify it.

Lotus folks, if you're coming to Kevin's house in September for the annual Lotus picnic, be aware that Howard County, where Kevin lives, is at the front of the line in eagerness to put these cameras up. He lives in the Columbia/Ellicott City area. Guaranteed the cameras will be on every telephone pole in that area.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
In North Carolina, our Constitution states that the great majority of traffic citation monies must go to the school system. That leaves the evil [email protected] privateers who supply and operate the big brotherly cameras out of the $$, and hence flacid. :no:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I thought that the Constitution stated that we had the right to face our accusor in court. If I get a ticket from an automated camera, I want to talk to the officer that took the picture...

·
boxerman
408 Posts
What activates these cameras, if it's radar there is no instant on and a good dtector will give miles of warning. In the UK they have a device called the road angel, it has GPS coordinates of all the cameras, and the portable cameras use radar.

Apparently in Cali the stats show red light cameras incresed accidents by 50%, they shortened the interval between green and red to get more tickets and there were a lot of rear enders. Woner if people sued once the stats were out.

Frankly this is good old fashioned highway robbery, kinda like having to pay a brigand to cross a bridge in 1700. I dont moind the game so much as the points.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I thought that the Constitution stated that we had the right to face our accusor in court. If I get a ticket from an automated camera, I want to talk to the officer that took the picture...
The States have run around this requirement by calling these "civil infractions."

Therefore, you don't get criminal Constitutional protections.

Someone needs to develop a system that blinds these cameras

·
Registered
135 Posts
In AZ they started with 11 over as the speed camera threshold. Unfortunately, people slowed down. They promptly dropped the threshold to 6 over.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Apparently in Cali the stats show red light cameras incresed accidents by 50%, they shortened the interval between green and red to get more tickets and there were a lot of rear enders. Woner if people sued once the stats were out.
I nearly rear-ended a guy who stopped on a yellow light at a camera controlled intersection. The light had JUST turned yellow as he was about to enter the intersection and he slammed on his brakes. I had to swerve to avoid him.

Definitely a revenue source and not a safety device.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Someone needs to develop a system that blinds these cameras
30-06 Springfield
Paint-ball guns would be quieter and not as destructive if you got caught (wouldn't have to pay as much to repair the camera).

I nearly rear-ended a guy who stopped on a yellow light at a camera controlled intersection.
<...>
Definitely a revenue source and not a safety device.
The state of Virginia ran an experiment with the red light cameras (they allowed the red light cameras for s limited time period of a couple of years). The state commissioned a report on them results and discovered that injuries/wrecks as a result of running red lights did not go down. But injuries/wrecks as a result of getting rear-ended at lights went up dramatically. The were made the roads more dangerous instead of safer. The state legislature banned the use of red light camera in the state of Virginia.

Then a year or two later, a new group of legislators were in office. They passed a state wide "permission" to install red light cameras "for safety". the did note that it would generate a large amount of revenue.

I wish they would just actually make the roads safer (longer lights, better roads, etc.) and raise taxes (or just the gas tax) to pay for things instead. The back door "safety" financing is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The ECM of every motor vehicle should monitor itself for violations using gps, a database of all traffic signs and another database of all traffic laws. When a violation is detected, the dashboard should light up and tell the driver that it is connecting to the internet via satellite phone, logging onto paypal with the driver's account, and then sending in the appropriate fine amount to the appropriate authority.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Do you need to have front plates in Maryland? Most Elises/Exiges that I've seen don't have front plates. Problem solved. (Unless they also take a rear shot!) :shrug:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts