The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know this will all be conjecture, but I've been pondering it... Do you think that the Eagle/Ethos will outperform the Exige S? I would surmise that concessions were made to add more interior room (and weight), but will that be offset by the extra horsepower?

Lotus has had a few years to refine the innovations that made the Elise platform such an incredible performer. Is it possible that they've stepped it up a notch or will this just be a bigger car that will get schooled by its older yet smaller sisters?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'd say that 0-60 would be slightly slower, but the Ethos would keep going past the Exige's windwall top speed. With the additional torque, it probably feels just as quick though. We need a counter somewhere, the release date is fast approaching.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
65 days to go.

I really don't expect the Eagle out perform the Exige S (espeically the 240). I think it will be no more than 300hp car and weight around 2,500 to 2,700 pounds. My guess is it probably do 0 to 60 around 4.7 to 5.0. But the one difference will be a wider torque curve and more torque for the 6 cyclinder engine. So, around town, it may be like an Exige S but be normally aspirated.

Another reason I don't expect the Egale to out perform the Exige is because the Exige is the narrow focused car. As a manufacturer, why would Lotus want to have a car with more space and comfort perform better than narrow focused car. In relation to the market and sales, what would the point of the narrow focus car be then? An Eagle that performs better than an Exige/Elise would just Exige/Elise sales. Also, the Eagle's target market would be the Cayman/Boxster and base 911 which are also in the 4.7 to 5.2 second range.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
An Eagle that performs better than an Exige/Elise would just Exige/Elise sales.
But, the Eagle will be priced higher and presumably be a higher profit model for them. I would assume that it will be equally as quick as a standard Exige S in straight-line performance, and that track times will depend on the layout.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
From what I heard, the Eagle would be priced a bit more than the Exige S so I'm guessing mid $60s to low $70.

Oh, and to clarify I was using Lotus' 0 to 60 claims for the Exige S (4.1) and Exige 240 (4.0) when I mentioned out perform. I'm kind of skeptical of those times for the Exige S/Exige 240 also.

And on a side note, I think the Carrera and Boxster/Caymans are getting a power increase for 2009.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That's true - I keep forgetting how high the Elise/Exige prices have gotten, and how quick the S's are. Those numbers do seem pretty hard to beat. Still, they'll need some wow factor in order to sell them.

·
Registered
992 Posts
From what I heard, the Eagle would be priced a bit more than the Exige S so I'm guessing mid $60s to low $70.

Oh, and to clarify I was using Lotus' 0 to 60 claims for the Exige S (4.1) and Exige 240 (4.0) when I mentioned out perform. I'm kind of skeptical of those times for the Exige S/Exige 240 also.

And on a side note, I think the Carrera and Boxster/Caymans are getting a power increase for 2009.
Yeah a lot of rides were getting power increases... until $4.00 per gallon gas (of course premium is more!) showed up. New per barrel highs again today. Neato.

Personally, hard to justify a 300hp car unless you're part of the small minority that truly appreciates and uses the ponies.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Personally, hard to justify a 300hp car unless you're part of the small minority that truly appreciates and uses the ponies.
I think nearly everyone appreciates 300hp :). Whether they need or can properly use it is a different matter...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yeah a lot of rides were getting power increases... until $4.00 per gallon gas (of course premium is more!) showed up. New per barrel highs again today. Neato.

A lot of average, family sedans are falling pretty close to 300 horsepower. It's not all that unusual. You can get a honda accord with a 268 horsepower V6. (Granted I know a lotus will be substantially lighter, just sayin'.)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'd say that 0-60 would be slightly slower, but the Ethos would keep going past the Exige's windwall top speed. With the additional torque, it probably feels just as quick though. We need a counter somewhere, the release date is fast approaching.
Your counter is named Allan. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another reason I don't expect the Egale to out perform the Exige is because the Exige is the narrow focused car. As a manufacturer, why would Lotus want to have a car with more space and comfort perform better than narrow focused car. In relation to the market and sales, what would the point of the narrow focus car be then? An Eagle that performs better than an Exige/Elise would just Exige/Elise sales. Also, the Eagle's target market would be the Cayman/Boxster and base 911 which are also in the 4.7 to 5.2 second range.
Isn't that exactly how Porsche markets their range though? At the lower end of cost and performance, you have the Boxster. Then you have the middle tier cost and performance with the Cayman. At the top tier you have the highest cost and performance 911 (which happens to also be a 2+2).

I could see Lotus doing exactly that same thing. From lowest to highest cost and performance you would have:
Elise -> Exige S 2xx -> Eagle -> Esprit (when it shows up)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
By year three, the Eagle will outaccelerates the Exige/Elise cars. You just know they'll be slapping a turbo on it before too long.

BTW, as gas rises, this car gets more and more attractive. Goes like hell and gets 30mpg.

·
Registered
992 Posts
A lot of average, family sedans are falling pretty close to 300 horsepower. It's not all that unusual. You can get a honda accord with a 268 horsepower V6. (Granted I know a lotus will be substantially lighter, just sayin'.)
Yeah, exactly. You made my point. We're so used to seeing cars with so much HP we think it's necessary. Kinda like we all "need" plasma tvs and DVD players in the backseat for the kids.

My RAV4 has 148hp. It works just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
question

this may not be the right place to ask, but f%&k it.

is there a significant difference between the 05 and 06 elise engine with the 06's updated engine management system?

also, i have heard conflicting info... what is the observed gas mileage of the elise?

planning on making a purchase in June, wish me luck! :nanner:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Your counter is named Allan. :D
Two more months to the day. But I have to confess, my excitement is really wanning. So, let's say the introduce the Eagle in late July. Then, it will be another half a year (at least) until it arrives in the States. :(

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
also, i have heard conflicting info... what is the observed gas mileage of the elise?
Gas mileage tends to vary.
if driven gently, the Elise will get like 25 in the city, 32+ highway., maybe even more.
BUT that's the first problem, it's nearly impossible to drive gently, the car screams to be revved up.
Even if you obey the law and drive at the posted speed limits, you'll be tempted at every red light to feel the rush to get to that speed limit! (or a lil bit faster than that).

As for the Eagle performance, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I imagine that it'll perform comparably to the Elise - just bigger and more luxurious inside to better appeal to buyers who're turned off on the small-ness of the Elise.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wonder what version of the 6 cyclinder engine they plan to use. Here's hoping it's the 2gr-fe motor with a little poking you can make those engines scream. Lets hope that the ecu wont be so frustrating this time out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts