The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On every car I have owned in the past 5 years I have switched out the OEM pads to Porterfield R4S pads>>>

www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html]

I have tried Mintex, Hawk, EBC etc and IMO the Porterfields work best for increased performance and also reduction of brake dust. I am finding the brake dust on the Elise is about between the worst (Audi/MB/BMW/Volvo) and much better (US vehicles)... so I was wondering were there be any interest from you all in purchasing Porterfields... I know the Porterfield folks and can get the correct pad (frnt & rear)....no idea about specific costs yet since I am just seeing if there is any interest. Yes...I am going to do anyway just want to offer this to fellow Elise owners.

Lights...do any of you know in specific terms how to access the headlight assembly to adjust (that is one thing on the car that was not adjust correctly) or to upgrade bulbs (Elise has the upgrade kit as an accessory).

Last item... I really feel for those who were/are so close to getting the Elise and then having the price increase announced...I would not hesitate in paying the increase since I think the car was under priced to start with...certainly not something I would post in the MSRP Increase threads since Nomex suit would not even protect you from the flaming. All I know is when I drove into work this fine clear cool Virginia morning I was all smiles and almost couldn't turn in to park...just wanted to head west to the Shenandoah mountains...love this car and eating my words...I am finding I am liking the seats but with that said still going to the custom upholster to do the yellow leather inserts and yellow seat belts...
Safe driving all...
Michael

·
Registered
818 Posts
i would like some dustless brakes. i changed mine on my prowler and it made a world of difference. a hell of a lot easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
'Dustless pads'?

To each his own, but on the Elise I would put that waaaaaay at the bottom of the list. It's a car made to drive and drive *hard*.

In order of preference I would say that a good Elise pad must be:

- Pretty much fade-free
- Easy to modulate brake pressure (good release characteristics)
- Medium friction level (not too high as this loses brake feel and control and the wheels lock/ABS too quickly)
- Work from reasonable temperatures (Elise brakes don't run very hot, light car, big brakes)
- Kind to brake rotors
- Reasonable pad life
- Dust level

That's why pads like the PAGID RS14 and RS4-2 (for more road work) are so popular in europe on the Elise.

I'm currently running SBS ProTrack Carbon-Ceramic pads. They dust like hell, but hit the brakes and it stops like you just dropped a block of concrete in front of the car. Brilliant..

I bet that Performance Friction compound 97 pads would do very well too. They actually make exactly the right size front backing plates (most other pads are a little 'loose' in the front caliphers.. not serious, but they rattle and clunk a bit..)

Bye, Arno.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
i would agree with you 100% with the Porterfields. the R4S is a great street/track pad, and plenty of guys I track with drive their R4's on the street as well. I just remember those cold winter-y mornings being a little bit interesting. ;)

I'll definitely be buying a handful of Porterfields for my Elise ... but I won't need them until next spring.

They'll make a pad for anything anyone wants - all we've gotta do is ask. Who knows - they could already be made.

(contrary to your experience, i had quite a bit of dust with the R4S' ... but, no more than the EBC/Hawk/PF/etc pads i've used as well)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I've already spoken to Porterfield.

We can get:
Porterfield R4-S and the race compounds R4, R4-E & R4-1
Hawk HPS & HP+ and the race compounds Black, Blue & HT-10
Performance Friction race compounds 90 & 97

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Does anyone have the FMSI pad numbers available? That can help out cross referencing. Or other application info?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well damn...that's great>>>

Robert Puertas said:
I've already spoken to Porterfield.

We can get:
Porterfield R4-S and the race compounds R4, R4-E & R4-1
Hawk HPS & HP+ and the race compounds Black, Blue & HT-10
Performance Friction race compounds 90 & 97
I guess I will be ordering now..thanks for the info..
Michael

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have had terrific performance with Mintex 1155 pads for track use on my Seven. I use them for limited street driving and autocross also. But on the track they are terrific especially when they get hot!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I loved Performance Friction 93s on my RX-7 - very little dust, even after track days, and gentle enough to use on the street.

Of course, I was coming from Hawk Blues...where brake dust turns to rust! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts