The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I dreaming, is this dream or did this really happen? I was at Barnes and Noble I read the reviews on the Elise in a few different magazines.

The first review was in Evo, they rated the Elise 7th, it only took first in handling and had marginal performance gains from the other competitors ranking with a Nissan 300 Z. Who in the right mind would put a 300 Z in mix??? Talking about bad choice of cars. The only reconciliation I had was they put a Lamborghini in the mix.

Car and Driver article was breath fresh air. However, what were the editors doing putting an Elise against a Miata. My friend called me up on this one and actually believed he could give me a run for my money in his stock miata. At least I happen to like an S2000. What happened to the Boxster S, M3, 911's, and Corvettes?? Am I supposed to feel better that I am spending 50K and have to wait six months longer to know my car is faster than a Mazda Miata? Is this a conspiracy?

The best article I read was in Motor Trend that a gave great review of the Elise. However, a few pages later there was a separate article. Testing a Boxster, Z4, Audi and some other car and of course the Porsche Boxster won. Why wasn’t the Elise in their on the test track?!? What’s next? an Elise vs. Volkswagen GTI on the cover of Road and Track?

I’m just blowing of some steam, any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm guessing they do not want to put the Elise in the same category with the Boxster, Z4, TT, and especially M3. They don't really serve the same purpose. The problem lies in the fact that the Elise has very few direct competitors. The S2000 is probably the closest, yet is it quite far away in essence. I don't understand why it's okay for a Lambo to be compared to the Elise and not a 350z.

More likely that not, the Elise would lose major points in a C&D comparison test in all of the practical categories. Personally, I don't need a comparo test to confirm what I already know. Even if the Elise came in first against all of these cars, it wouldn't mean anything to me or buyers of the other vehicles. Will your friends like you better if it wins or am I missing something? :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
thought: you have annoying dreams

·
Registered
368 Posts
It could be that the Boxster is the most well rounded car in the group, performing very well on and off track and has the convenience of 2 trunks, longer warranty, etc. The new Boxster is quite the looker too, very Carrera GT'ish from the front.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Later Apex said:
The new Boxster is quite the looker too, very Carrera GT'ish from the front.
It does look good, but IMO nothing like the CGT, especially if you see both side by side. Perhaps a similar shape and I have heard many draw that conclusion, but personally I don't agree. Someone who has seen both in person told me they don't look similar as well.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I’m just blowing of some steam, any thoughts on this??

Maybe it has to do with advertising money. It kind of sounds like

"zoom, zoom, just like an Elise for a lot less money"

"The Ultimate Driving machine... just like an Elise but with better interior"

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Elise is a track car. The only relevant comparisons are to other track cars on a track. I think the only cars worth comparing are the 360 Challenge Stradale and 911 GT3.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A fair competition would be a S200, Boxster S, and Elise. Forget the creature comforts put them on a track and do a fair an accurate comparison. Top speed, 0-100-0, handling, and track time. This is the market Lotus is after anyhow.

My friend can’t even keep up with me when he raced me against my truck. That is slowest car I have ever owned. I hardly would imagine his car giving me any competion against an Elise. Perhaps it is about advertisement money or lack of.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
happytrails said:
A fair competition would be a S200, Boxster S, and Elise. Forget the creature comforts put them on a track and do a fair an accurate comparison. Top speed, 0-100-0, handling, and track time. This is market Lotus is after anyhow.

My friend can’t even keep up with me when he raced me against my truck. which is slowest car I have ever owned. I hardly would imagine his car giving me any competion against an Elise. Perhaps it is about advertisement money or lack of.
wow, what track to you take your truck out to? what kind of truck?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
i don't understand---you said your friend raced you in his miata and he couldn't keep up.

You're not just talking about street/drag racing are you?

rotfl

·
Registered
758 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
The Elise is a track car. The only relevant comparisons are to other track cars on a track. I think the only cars worth comparing are the 360 Challenge Stradale and 911 GT3.
If the Elise is a track car, why'd Lotus spend millions, and waste hours making it street legal ? The 111S was a track car. The 111R is a street car that happens to be great on a track =)

But I agree, that article was point less. However, testing against a Miata doesn't sound like a bad idea. Sounds like a few people are going to the Elise from the Miata.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gromit said:
If the Elise is a track car, why'd Lotus spend millions, and waste hours making it street legal ? The 111S was a track car. The 111R is a street car that happens to be great on a track =)
Maybe I should have said "street legal" track car.

"Spending millions to make it street legal" was kind of my point. It is a track car first, a street legal road car second.

The 360 CS and 911 GT3 are the only cars in the same category.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
happytrails said:
Never tracked it, but its fast on the straight line and handles pretty good for a truck BMW X-5 4.8.
I've autocrossed a X5 a few times. Capable for a "SUV", but waaaay too much electronic crap on it for my taste. At the of the yaw, traction, and whatever computer stuff going on I found myself driving it like a video game. Instead of trying to optimize traction I was trying to optimize the way the computer was letting me drive.

For me it wasn't a satisfying driving experience. I wasn't so much driving as I was playing a video game.

This is not to say it wasn't capable or fast, just not a satisfying driving experience for me. :(

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
andykeck said:
Maybe it's time to review the Pyramid of Speed!
Heh heh heh. "Go Fast Crack Pipe" - there a better term for the Elise? Hilarious link. Love the sarcasm in the term "cone dodger." I've always though there should be more rivalry and bitterness between club racers and autocrossers. We have way too much respect for each other. :)

:bow: But the Pyramid of Speed is missing at least one level - people who are good enough to make a living at it. Until I get the call from Jean Todt, I'll keep the smack talk to a minimum.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great article, out where I live the posted speed limit 75 and mostly everyone is driving at 100 in cars that are probably not suitable to be driven over 80. Fortunately the only cars I ever owned were either Porsches or BMW's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts