1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Of course anything designed for the Celica will not fit the Elise, totally different application, but anything thats designed for the engine will apply - pullies, flywheel, etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm guessing everything except for the intake-pipe and the header will fit on the elise. You can squeeze quite a bit of power out of that little motor. Theres plenty of juice in it left to extract.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok, most have had some time to get settled into their elises. Now has anyone started to look into any of the above 2zz mods yet? I have used UR pulleys before and figured they should still fit the elise. It can be a nice way to free up a little power. Actually lighten it up a few lbs. :D

soulman

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bad idea on the crank pulley. They have a habit of turning the sintered iron oil pump drive gears into clumps of iron along with the rest of the engine. Therer is no dampener on the crank pulley. The rest of the pullies are safe. Alternator is the only one IIRC. The flywheel is a great part that does the same thing without any detrimental side effects.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That's just scary/funny/lucky. I had the set for my mr2 spyder. I replaced the alternator no problem, but could not get the crank pulley off so I never got it on before I sold it. Actually still have it. :D That would have sucked if it tore my oil pump up.

soulman

·
Registered
72 Posts
If Lotus is so state of the art, why can't they build their own engine instead of importing the 2zz fom Toyota? Enzo would roll in his grave if the high brass at Ferrari were shopping in Japan or Germany for that matter.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
bowmanian said:
If Lotus is so state of the art, why can't they build their own engine instead of importing the 2zz fom Toyota? Enzo would roll in his grave if the high brass at Ferrari were shopping in Japan or Germany for that matter.
Hmm, sounds like bait for an argument.

Instead, do some reasearch on Lotus cars and the British "automotive cottage industry" for some answers.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
bowmanian said:
They have in the past, but have gotten other motor suppliers as well for some of their most famous cars as well: to wit, the F1 cars of the 60s and 70s that used the Cosworth/Ford DFV.

ed

·
Registered
435 Posts
bowmanian said:
I am so glad they didn't. If they did, I would more than likely not be able to afford the elise.

soulman

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
BTW - Toyota is very "state of the art" and they sourced the motor from Yamaha or at least had them build it. I couldn't find the word Toyota anywhere on the motor, but it proudly proclaims itself as a Yamaha!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
If my Rolex had a camdrive from-pick somewhere where Rolex wasn't made- it would still be sitting in the showcase.I wanted an English made Rolex and it may never live up to the atomic clock watches but, does atomic hold its value-not even close. I bought my Elise Knowing it had a toyota engine but, I can't resist wondering what Lotus could have done or how much value it would have held if they did.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
bowmanian said:
If my Rolex had a camdrive from-pick somewhere where Rolex wasn't made- it would still be sitting in the showcase.I wanted an English made Rolex and it may never live up to the atomic clock watches but, does atomic hold its value-not even close. I bought my Elise Knowing it had a toyota engine but, I can't resist wondering what Lotus could have done or how much value it would have held if they did.
If your Rolex is a Daytona (their most expensive model), you should know that it uses a Valjoux or Zenith movement. Even Rolex uses other manufacturers engine's (er, movements).

Also, an atomic watch costs so little that it could lose all its value the day you bought it and you would still lose far less than what you'd lose in that Rolex when you walk out of the store.

Both Lotus and Rolex understand their strenghts and how to use their limited resources most effectively.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts