The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about the Performance Value Package and the 2010 Elises in general. I know that the package includes "equipment that is valued at $7000.00 [if all applied separately]. Included in the Performance Package is the touring package, a body colored hardtop, Lotus variable traction control, upgraded Alcantara enhanced interior with contrasting red accents, sport seats, 16-spoke cast aluminum wheels in silver with a matching rear diffuser, Yokohama Advan A048 LTS ultra-high performance tires, Lotus Sport tuned suspension with short springs and Bilstein shocks, twin oil coolers and a harness bar."

Let me preface by saying I am very green with auto-mechanics so some of these may seem like stupid questions for you guys who know a ton about working on cars.

I am wondering if:

1. Did 2010's also have a sport package option or did this replace the sport package? If there was one, what was included in the sport package beyond the PVP?

2. What affect does this optional suspension have on ride stiffness, quality, and handling? I've read the alcantara seats (love the look of the interior trim with this package :coolnana:) are more comfortable or cushioned, and am trying to gather if the suspension has followed similarly.

3. Are the tires much better?

4. Why back to the twin oil coolers? I've read they had this set-up in '05s then got rid of it for '06-'09s and now back on '10s with this package. What is the effect / purpose?

5. What is the benefit of the harness bar? Is it to provide stiffness?

6. How much quieter is the ride as a result of the extra sound dampening?

7. All in, is there a noticeable difference in ride or performance as a result of this package?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Can't answer all of the questions but here is some food for thought, in no particular order:

The harness bar is for attaching a track harness, and does nothing for non-track use. If you will have a need for that piece of equipment it is a nice thing to have. You can get one from Lotus later on for about $300, but will need to wrstle with the rear panel to make it fit or buy a special rear panel for $350.

The "sport seats" is something I'd check. If they are indeed Lotus sport seats they will have two grommeted cutouts in the upper should er area, like the seats in the Exige. They currently run over $3,500 for a pair from Loyus, and you cannot really get them used. So that in and of itself is a great piece of equipment to get IF you care. The only fuctional advantage to the seats is they work with the harness bar so you can mount a harness. Otherwise, under your butt they are the same as teh regular seats. Alcantara is nice, but it does not affect comfort or lack thereof. The regular seats as well as the sport seats all have Probax, a foam or gel that many peole like as the padding.

The rest of the car sounds like it has the typical packages, touring gets you a bit of insulation, and carpeting, and the LSS suspension and AO48 tires are the typical firmer setup you could always get. (I am assuming that's what is on the car the way you describe it. The only other sport option I ever heard of would have the Lotus-tuned Ohlin shocks/springs with outboard oil reserve canisters. If that is what is on the car, they are hellaciously expensive aftermarket, about $3,800). The ride and comfort levels are individual tastes. Any Elise will ride firmly, the LSS suspension is a bit more jiggly than the base, but if you live in an area where you don't have much in the way of frost heaves it shouldn't matter.

Twin oil coolers are useless in daily driving, just more stuff to go wrong. The car doesn't really need that much oil cooling to begin with. Traction control has been around on all these since 2006 (?). The hardtop is usually a $2600-3,000 option. So all in all the package is surely cost effective over separately purchased items.

All in all, it sounds like a nice package. Will it be faster than a regular Elise? No. The only place you'll likely be able to use whatever slightly better grip you get is on a track.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't answer all of the questions but here is some food for thought, in no particular order:

The harness bar is for attaching a track harness, and does nothing for non-track use. If you will have a need for that piece of equipment it is a nice thing to have. You can get one from Lotus later on for about $300, but will need to wrstle with the rear panel to make it fit or buy a special rear panel for $350.

The "sport seats" is something I'd check. If they are indeed Lotus sport seats they will have two grommeted cutouts in the upper should er area, like the seats in the Exige. They currently run over $3,500 for a pair from Loyus, and you cannot really get them used. So that in and of itself is a great piece of equipment to get IF you care. The only fuctional advantage to the seats is they work with the harness bar so you can mount a harness. Otherwise, under your butt they are the same as teh regular seats. Alcantara is nice, but it does not affect comfort or lack thereof. The regular seats as well as the sport seats all have Probax, a foam or gel that many peole like as the padding.

The rest of the car sounds like it has the typical packages, touring gets you a bit of insulation, and carpeting, and the LSS suspension and AO48 tires are the typical firmer setup you could always get. (I am assuming that's what is on the car the way you describe it. The only other sport option I ever heard of would have the Lotus-tuned Ohlin shocks/springs with outboard oil reserve canisters. If that is what is on the car, they are hellaciously expensive aftermarket, about $3,800). The ride and comfort levels are individual tastes. Any Elise will ride firmly, the LSS suspension is a bit more jiggly than the base, but if you live in an area where you don't have much in the way of frost heaves it shouldn't matter.

Twin oil coolers are useless in daily driving, just more stuff to go wrong. The car doesn't really need that much oil cooling to begin with. Traction control has been around on all these since 2006 (?). The hardtop is usually a $2600-3,000 option. So all in all the package is surely cost effective over separately purchased items.
Thanks Andy7777. I probably wouldn't be using it on a track. Would the twin oil coolers be a reason to avoid this package then (your comment that it's more to go wrong makes me wonder if there was a history of failure with this set-up in the '05s. I will look through the forum, but if you know you may save me some time).

The one post I was able to find on this package actually said the seats are wider and more comfortable, so I don't know if they are the same ones you've mentioned above.

It does seem like a good package and I have also read elsewhere that it reduces the weight of the car by 20lbs which is another added benefit. Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts