The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Greetings guys,
Just quick question, went to clean every bit of my car today. I noticed the performance bit on the engine cover has melted a bit. Anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess the obvious question would be: Has the engine over-heated recently?
I have had my temperature gauge reading one bar above the middle range this summer and has had no effect on the lettering.

·
Illegal Alien
5,260 Posts
Wow, that is some high performance! Or some other heat issue. Whole prior post is focused on internal engine temp/cooling. Issue could more likely be external cooling issues. Is he raiser tube behind engine attached and ducted out DS hatch top vent?, does compartment cooling fan ever come on (pulls in air from PS top fender scoop)?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm unsure, I've never had the engine overheat, and the temperature on the sensor was always halfway, it never usually goes above that. Having said that, this summer was a hot one and I found myself driving in 35 degree Celsius weather every other day.. Julian I'm not sure how to find out which external cooling factor could be playing a role in this. Do you have a list of things I should suggest to the mechanic at the lotus dealership to look for when I take it in?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha, I did read about that some time ago. You never know, I've had to park it once or twice outdoor maybe the sun rays got to it. Also the car has been in the garage for two months getting the front bumper replaced, they updated the software, and test drove the car before they gave it back to me. They found no issues mechanically neither have I. Might have been exposure to the sun maybe.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
maybe they set it down near something too hot in the shop when they had it there all that time. seems like human error would be a more reasonble cause.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would check the underside of the engine cover. If it is also melted, that would indicate the heat source from the engine or damaged at the shop. If only the lettering is melted, this would probably indicate that someone in the shop placed something hot on top of the cover. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
First mention of this. I've left my cover on at track events with no issues! In July at 90 degrees!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would check the underside of the engine cover. If it is also melted, that would indicate the heat source from the engine or damaged at the shop. If only the lettering is melted, this would probably indicate that someone in the shop placed something hot on top of the cover. Just a thought...
Good idea, will give it a look

·
Illegal Alien
5,260 Posts
First mention of this. I've left my cover on at track events with no issues! In July at 90 degrees!!
Ah, for such a nice cold day in Texas. But then today I walked a shipyard in Dubai in what seemed to be 135 deg.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ah, for such a nice cold day in Texas. But then today I walked a shipyard in Dubai in what seemed to be 135 deg.
Julian you should be back home now, 74 and raining....

On a separate note mine has stood in 110 degrees in Texas and no melting......just me melting

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Most likely that is direct heat (sun exposure). If the ambient engine heat was hot enough to melt the letters, you would have experienced far more serious issues . The letters would have been the least of you're problems... of course this is all just conjecture.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Drop light from the mechanics. The melting is so isolated, there is ALMOST no way it can be from anything other than a drop light or sunlight through a magnified lens. If it was sunlight, it would be a line (as the sun traveled) rather than a point.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the bottom, it's fine, the whole cover is fine other than the words which probably tells us it is direct sunlight or something from when it was in the shop. Will replace it under warranty, however I'm thinking of ordering the mansory carbon fibre engine cover, looks great have you guys seen it?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
This is a clear indication your performance is melting away too. Better take it to the dealer to ask why plastic melts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts