The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I have found the car I am looking for price and option-wise, after a long look, but the car is at a dealer in Houston (Expo Motors) that only gets a 92.3% Ebay rating and an F at the local BBB. Since I am not interested in having the dealership do any service work, I am wondering if I should proceed to fly to Houston and test it out or what. I am not aware of any reputable entity that could check it out and the Lotus dealer in Dallas, where the car fax report shows the one prior owner to have registered the vehicle to have lived (Addison TX), says they last serviced the vehicle two years ago and there were no problems then. I am getting tired of waiting but sure hate to buy a lemon. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks. Peter

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Ask the locals ! We're usually more than willing to check out a car for someone !

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Also: Post the VIN....maybe someone even knows the car....

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'll be in Dallas on the 13th.

There are lots of Dallas folks here on the forum. If none of them will help you out before then, I'll help you out.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
I'll be in Dallas on the 13th.

There are lots of Dallas folks here on the forum. If none of them will help you out before then, I'll help you out.
Houston....:shrug:

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Peter, welcome to L.T.. +1 on having a Huston area L.T. member check out the car in person. Where are you from in Wisconsin?

Todd, near Stevens Point

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea! Anyone in the Houston area interested/willing to check out the 2005 AR Elise at Expo Motors? Is it as sweet as it looks? Or is this an example of why the dealer gets an F from the BBB?

Todd, I am right next door in Wis. Rapids! I'm quite interested in seeing your Lotus and hearing your story. Peter

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Peter, you've got a P.M.. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is it the red elise? I pass by expo 2-3 times a week. I have heard good and bad things about them. I would also try to google them and read reviews from customers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, ZCOUPE, it is the 2005 Ardent Red Elise. Any chance you or a buddy could stop by and check it out one of these days?
I've read lots of reviews about the dealership and most are good but some are scathing. I figure that since I am not interested in the dealer servicing the car, if it looks right and drives right it shouldn't matter who I am buying it from. Peter

·
Registered
613 Posts
Chances are the prior owner was/is on the forum or maybe one of the other members may have known them. Post up the VIN and details on the car and you might be able to get the scoop on its history. I was able to track down the PO of my Elise and even got on the phone with him a few times to talk about the car before and after I bought it. Still haven't found the PO of the Exige:shrug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the ad with the VIN#. It is currently on sale at Expo Motorcars in Houston on Ebay and I am considering it.

2005 Lotus Elise 9kMiles! FocalSnd! MOMOStrng! CLEAN!!
Mileage: 9,137 miles
Vehicle Information
VIN: SCCPC11185HL33265

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Wow a Momo steering wheel !! A bonus ! rotfl

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Wow a Momo steering wheel !! A bonus ! rotfl
:D When I see dealer ads for a Lotus touting "extra features" like these, but then not mentioning suspension packages and the like it tells me that they don't have a clue or don't care about the Lotus. The ad has no details and only one distant photo of the car (uncommon for a Lotus ad).

Everything could well be on the up and up, but they sure aren't using the ad to answer many questions...:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here are a couple of adds that have more pictures.

Details of Used 2005 Lotus Elise, Houston, TX - Yahoo! Autos

Vehicle Details

I live about 20 minutes from this place, which in Houston speak means that it is right around the corner! I also happen to be a transplanted cheese head as well, grew up in Wauwatosa (Milwaukee suburb). What exactly are you wanting checked out on the car? We have a local Lotus dealership, Star Motorcars, who could check it out for you mechanically as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, ZCOUPE, it is the 2005 Ardent Red Elise. Any chance you or a buddy could stop by and check it out one of these days?
I've read lots of reviews about the dealership and most are good but some are scathing. I figure that since I am not interested in the dealer servicing the car, if it looks right and drives right it shouldn't matter who I am buying it from. Peter
Im no expert but I can stop by and update you on the cosmetic condition.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well, 93% satisfaction rate means 9 out of 10 did ok, so fingers crossed.

tires look newer, and the radio appears updated.

but I have no clue what the device is to the side of the A/C controls, what the heck is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
but I have no clue what the device is to the side of the A/C controls, what the heck is it?
Looks like an add-on 3 accessory (cigarette) sockets.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I posted in your other thread.

The owner of that car lived in Plano, TX. I have seen that car a few times on the road and all seemed well. I suggest you have someone in the Houston area check out the car for you and even go on a test drive.

If I can be of any more help feel free to send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts