The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Perry's car at sears point!

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  eliseowner2b 
#1 ·
The car was a hit at the track and was very competetive with my buddy's 2004 GT3! He would pull me in the straightaways and I would gobble up his lead plus a little as soon as we hit the twisties. No passing allowed in the corners though..
My car is on stock AO48's and his car is on Michelin Cup DOT slicks. If I was to go to Hoosiers I think it would be even more lop sided in the turns....
:clap: :bow: :p

#4 ·
perry,
how would you compare your driving skill/track experience with his? Did he ever let you pass so you could really see how much faster you were lap for lap? Nice to see the Elise representing!

:bow: :clap: :bow:

#5 ·
Perry: Which organization did you run with, and in which skill level group?

#8 ·
I WAS with the Audi Club...
My buddy and I are both instructors and were put in the more agressive instructor group for a reason. He is very experienced and has logged thousands of laps at Sears(more experience than I by far). I was a little surprised that the car did as well as it did, but It came as no surprise to him. He previously told me that the Elise would be a giant killer at that track..And said he would have no place to hide when it came to cornering and transitional sections. He was spot on!
The little Elise was razor sharp in sections that required quick directional changes followed by intense carving. I thought that the car cornered very flat under these conditions. Some have said that the car has a bit more body lean than they would have thought.
I was running reccomended tire pressures(@door jam) and had great grip as well as VERY minimal tire wear.
I absolutley LOVE this car!!

:clap:

#9 ·
I also found the car to accept mid corner corrections with no fuss.
It was very easy to (under late braking) trail brake in and maintain a nice controlled slide through a given corner.
I experienced NO (uncontrollable) snap oversteer at all! At one point on a cold track late in the day I entered turn two off line to the inside and early apexed the corner. When I tried to correct with a pretty severe turn in the car did come around rather abruptly and I then was able to correct and exit the corner after a double tank slapper.:eek:

#13 ·
I'm not sure I believe khamai's explanation.

I've always heard "tank slapper" used about motorcycles. In an uncontrolled steering wobble, the handlebar ends (and your hands) slap the gas tank.

kbob

#15 ·
I used to race motorcycles on 1/4mi and 1/2 mile tracks. A tank slapper is when you do a full lock(steering wheel) fish tail. On a motorcycle when you slide out back and forth your forward momentum tosses you up onto the tank and the left right motion makes your balls slap both sides of the fuel tank as you swap ends..
A double tank slapper would be that the car slid out left, I countersteered at full lock in order to recover but the car then stepped out to the right and I countersteered at full lock again(thinking full well that I was about to spin out). I then stabbed the gas just as the car centered , the car caught traction and I jetted out of the corner looking like a total pro driver. Little did my co-driver(student) know I had just **** my pants. Now thats the difference between an amateur and a PRO :bow: :bow:

#16 ·
Too funny man! So I suppose I did a single tank slap when I spun at Road Atlanta. At least now I have a cool name for it instead of the popular North Georgia term, "I reckon I spunner."

:D

By the way, I believe that your student had a great lesson. I hope he noticed what happened and what you did to keep it straight. There's nothing like losing grip to teach you the limits!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.