The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perry was at the Halloween gathering and I was examining all his modifications.

I noticed the roll bar reinforcing diagonal brace in the engine compartment and wondered if it went all the way to the top and if there was a real roll bar hidden away up there. Perry has removed the trim parts that cover the interior portion of the fire wall. It is amazing how much room there is back there, beyond the package tray.

I apologize for the poor pictures. The light was wrong and I did not get another opportunity to take pictures with the car in a different position.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Did Perry succeed in removing his A/C? Is it noticeable? How's his performance affected?

I had asked MW to get photos and details of Perry's alterations, but I'm afraid she got too involved with people to follow thru very well.

Thanks for passing these along Mike.
Did anyone take more photos of the changes?
Perry?

AW

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ancient Wedgie said:

I had asked MW to get photos and details of Perry's alterations, but I'm afraid she got too involved with people to follow thru very well.

or.......too involved with a certain SY new toy! "What other cars, Dad?"

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
pianomaniac said:
Ancient Wedgie said:

or.......too involved with a certain SY new toy! "What other cars, Dad?"
I fear you got that all too accurately.
Like in my "what red elise?" experience with her last night. :D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I live in Berkeley, Ca where the fog hugs the hills would only use the A/C about five or six times a year. Usually will have the soft top off if it's a nice day anyway:cool:
I am hoping to find a shop that will be doing the A/C removal. I guess I could go to a Toyota garage and order the necessary non A/C components(idler pulley, etc)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I know that the compressor is attached to the engine and then the lines can come out as well as the drier, condenser and under dash piece(can't remember the name) total should be at least 30lbs. :clap:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Perry: We're still waiting on some pics of your interior, with the roll bar exposed. Sandsmuseum's were much appreciated, but not too clear.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
They look pretty good on my computer...
As soon as I finish the PACKAGE(enlarged) tray area in a fabric of some type I'll post some pics..
I'm hoping that the condenser is on top of the radiator so it can be easily removed..

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Perry how much weight have you removed from the car so far?

On the AC thing...to remove the condenser you need to remove the front clam per the service manual. Once it's out you could also retain only one cooling fan. You can remove the compressor on the motor pretty easily. The refrigerant lines and in-dash components are likely hard to remove and don't weigh much.

I can post PICs of the condenser/radiator setup if desired, let me know.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
OK,
I went out and pulled the center front grille(very easy w-top clips) and looked right at the condenser and fans. The fans would have to be re-hung after removing the condenser but I think one might be able to remove the radiator attaching points, then pull the condenser out through the front grill opening and then re-attach the radiator??? I'll give it at try as soon as I can get some time.
I can tell you that if you ever need to replace a radiator hose it looks like the clam will have to come off. A friend of mine has a four post lift in his garage. I'll try to arrange some time on the lift and maybe we can put together a clam & A.C. removal tech day with lots of pictures. Or maybe here where I work...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Stan,
Including stageII exhaust I would say 32lb including: Radio, 4 speakers, rear package shelf and assoc sound deadening material, seat belt pulley covers, and all touring pkg. carpeting.
I was told that the power windows are actually lighter than the roll ups. Is this true? If so by how much?
Oh, and please do post pics as you stated...
When I go out driving I loose an additional 10lbs(?) by leaving the (touring) soft top at home.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Perry- don't know all that's been done to date, have you installed a light weight battery yet? Might be good for another 8 lbs or so. If you end up pulling alot of weight off the front end and little off the rear may start to feel a slight change in the balance of the car.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Good point on the battery. It's heavy and mounted high up and rearward = bad for handling. I think you can cut way more than 8 pounds.

Dunno what it weighs but you can definitely use one of those 8-13 pound batteries without issue. I have several batteries for my E30 M3 with the 2.3 liter four cylinder engine. A 55 pound, a 38 pound and a 13 pound battery. All of them start the car just fine. The light one has lower capacity but plenty of cranking power abnout 680 CA. Just don't leave you lights on with that one and it works great.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts