The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched to see if this thread has been brought up before with no results so here goes....

My co-worker who is my boss and manager 'stinks' We share a very small work space together and the smell wants to make me puke, however he's my boss. He's 43 something still living at home with mom and stepdad which is very sick in it self.... but he's saving money.

Co-workers have for warned me about this and the weather is only going to get hotter. I swear if I get a sniff of this after eating lunch I'm going to toss my cookies.

VERY sensitive subject...
Our conditions: In A/C and even kicks on when we don't need it. Uniform pants are provided and cleaned on a weekly basis.
I've mentioned this 'sensitive' subject with a close co-worker whom he said 'Wait untill it's 90'degrees'

I really need some help. cannot afford to lose a job but I cannot stand the smell as it really makes me sick to my stomach. My Co-Worker said it gave him a 'headache' probably from everyone complaining but the smell will do that.

Really sorry to bring up such a disgusting subjet but I need some help to put it across without getting sacked.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is there an HR department you can file an anonymous complaint?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not posting this for attention, this is a problem I would like to correct not only on my own behalf but that of my co-workers.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there an HR department you can file an anonymous complaint?
Good question.. I've been there for two months were he has been there 25 years... I need to be 'careful' where I 'place' that stick......into the 'Hornets" Nest.

Thank you for the input

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Im not posting this for attention, this is a problem I would like to correct not only on my own behalf but that of my co-workers.
lotuscupcar is poking fun at your original post which has a typo for your boss's age. ;)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 year olds live with their parent and smell sometimes, fact of life. Get used to it

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.com App
Sorry

I missed- informed you... 43 years old... it was 4+ I won't go to the 'V' word details.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Well, I've been around enough people either with wicked b.o or bad breath. Even worse in your case as it is your boss. But if you cannot afford to lose the job, than good luck I guess.
Also, depends on the kind of guy he is. Does he take kindly to constructive criticism?
But if you've only been there a couple months, than look for a different job in the meantime. Smelling more of it won't make it an acquired smell. Do you really want to make a career out of it?
And......hopefully he doesn't read this forum and know who you are. :p

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
#1. Tell him tactfully that he's creating an unhealthy environment, hostile working environment or at least very distracting and you can't be effective at your job.

or

#2. Go to lunch and eat a huge all-you-can eat buffet and allow yourself to "toss" your "cookies" on his desk or on him...

and advise your boss #1!!!!

or

File an anonymous complaint/grievance re: #1 to HR.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Well, I've been around enough people either with wicked b.o or bad breath. Even worse in your case as it is your boss. But if you cannot afford to lose the job, than good luck I guess.
Also, depends on the kind of guy he is. Does he take kindly to constructive criticism?
But if you've only been there a couple months, than look for a different job in the meantime. Smelling more of it won't make it an acquired smell. Do you really want to make a career out of it?
And......hopefully he doesn't read this forum and know who you are. :p
Find another job. Start looking.. Once you get a good idea of the likelihood you will be able to find a new job, then you can decide whether or not it's safe to try and fix the situation with some constructive criticism.

But my gut tells me it's just going to put you in a worse situation, at which point you already know you can get another job. The guy is a 40 years old, he wont' change.. not for you anyway. He knows he stinks but he doesn't care.

Use this until you do...

·
Registered
693 Posts
open new email account and email him the situation.

or

Recruit co-workers and go talk to him as a group. With a signed petition. hahaha

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
BTW, just so you know i've had something similar happen to me.

I had a subordinate who continually ate gawd awefully pungent chinese food at her desk in our small office.. It really stunk up the entire place.. None of my other team members complained to me about her, although I've heard them speak about it amongst themselves. I couldn't stand it myself. Being the "manager" I was compelled to remedy the situation... It didn't go down well. She was offended. She reported me to HR saying I was being "culturally insensitive" and targeted her because of her cultural background. WTF I'm Asian too and I've eaten just as pungent of foods (wifey is Korean). Fortunately for me, we had a reorg and she was moved to another project on a different floor.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
just hang a gang of those paper air freshener trees. maybe he get the message then.

what is it exactly...B.O...doesn't wipe is ass? rotfl seriously that is sh*tty. I would probably rat him out to HR. Maybe get some coworkers on your side. that really helps.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
open new email account and email him the situation.

or

Recruit co-workers and go talk to him as a group. With a signed petition. hahaha
Fully agree. Anonymous emails. Be polite and constructive. Tell him many have noticed and don't make it sound like you're his employees.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Get his email address to some sort of company or organization that deals with such. Deodorant companies. Soap companies. Air fresheners. Mailing lists too. Free samples.

Even if you quit or move on it will be fun.

Anyone out there have any ideas of such products?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Get an air freshener and use it, ostentatiously. Ask him if he can smell something bad.
He may have a medical condition and know it, of course!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts