The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to whip up some personalized "Built Especially For (insert your name)" plaques that I remember seeing at some antique car shows.

They are placed on dashboards or other areas in the car, with personal information, like your name, chassis #, build date, etc., so that it looks like the car was built just for you.

Since so many of us have ordered a specific car with certain colors, options, etc., I figured these cars are truly "especially built for us". ;)

The photos show a couple of samples I made. The plaques are printed on solid aluminum sheets, using a photo quality ink jet printer. My company makes ink jet printable aluminum, so it seemed natural to use this stuff. I just created the graphic in CorelDraw, imported the Lotus logo from a logo web site, and printed it. I put a clear polyester overlaminate on the plaque to protect it. There is adhesive on the back, so you can just stick them on the car.

Haven't decided on which size to use yet, one is 4' X 2" and the other is 5" X 1.75". Also, need to figure a location on the car.

Just thought I'd share this idea with you all. Should look sharp when I get them on the car. :D

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
VERY COOL Wayne! :clap:

We need to determine an official location. I like the long plaque better, but location may dictate the size.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I guess I'll have to call my dealer, to find out who originally ordered then refused my car. That way, I can get the right name on the plate.

ed

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
$$ ??

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Very cool. I also like the longer version better.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With respect to the cost of these plaques, I'm not in the business of selling them. I made mine up because I have access to an interesting material, printable aluminum, that goes perfectly with the Elise's aluminum chassis.

That said, I would be willing to make similar plaques for the Elise owners on this board at NO CHARGE. :)

I figure that for all the help and advice I got off this forum, it's the least I can do. :bow:

If you're interested, e-mail me your Chassis number and name and I'll create a plaque like the one in the pics. If you want to do your own design, you can e-mail that to me as well. I prefer CorelDraw or PhotoShop files and I'm flexible on the size of the plaque, but don't make it too big.

I can make these plaques in a rigid (.012" thick) or bendable aluminum (.005" thick), with or without adhesive. I used the Satin silver finish in the pics, but I can also do it in brushed silver or satin gold. All plaques will have a protective overlaminate.

Probably best if you send me a SAE, padded, and I'll ship the plaque off to you. I can make them up in a day or two.

Let me know if you are interested.

Wayne

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Dude you rock. :bow: The longer one looks better, so does the finish. That said lets' start brainstorming for location. The bendable one could be placed almost anywhere (even in the door sill.)

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Just like Astons

Perhaps the door sil? I like how Astons have something similar to this on their sils.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I printed out the longer image, after scaling it and cropping, so that it was real size.

It fits perfectly along the exposed side of the sill next to the seat. I like the driver's side next to the other label that has your paint code on it (the upside down label).

I think anywhere else inside is either overdoing it (too obvious), or too hidden, or too exposed to damage (like under the emergency brake no the center console)...or obviously some great spot I had not considered. :)

I think a secondary nice spot in under the boot lid over the engine... where all the other stickers are.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
waydui said:
With respect to the cost of these plaques, I'm not in the business of selling them. I made mine up because I have access to an interesting material, printable aluminum, that goes perfectly with the Elise's aluminum chassis.

That said, I would be willing to make similar plaques for the Elise owners on this board at NO CHARGE. :)

I figure that for all the help and advice I got off this forum, it's the least I can do. :bow:

If you're interested, e-mail me your Chassis number and name and I'll create a plaque like the one in the pics. If you want to do your own design, you can e-mail that to me as well. I prefer CorelDraw or PhotoShop files and I'm flexible on the size of the plaque, but don't make it too big.

I can make these plaques in a rigid (.012" thick) or bendable aluminum (.005" thick), with or without adhesive. I used the Satin silver finish in the pics, but I can also do it in brushed silver or satin gold. All plaques will have a protective overlaminate.

Probably best if you send me a SAE, padded, and I'll ship the plaque off to you. I can make them up in a day or two.

Let me know if you are interested.

Wayne
Wow... very cool... thanks a bunch.

Neil

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I too like the drivers side door sil. Just let me know how much and where?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plaque Location in Car

Hi Everyone,
I got a lot of requests for the personalized plaques, so I'll get to work on making them up. For those of you who e-mailed me, I'll get back to you individually and we can work out the details.

The offer still stands if anyone is interested, no charge for a plaque.

Since there were requests for different size plaques, I decided not to have a single, standard size. I can make them in either of the two sizes you want.

I played with some locations in the car over the weekend. I didn't want the plaque to be "in your face", but more of an understated element in the car. Anyway, I've attached some pics of some possible spots. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Wow it's like you read my mind! I was looking into getting something similar made just like this last week. Well, except yours look about 10 times better!!! With the Lotus logo and font selection. I wanted mine to say "#xxxx Hand Assembled in Hethel England by Lotus Cars, LTD for (my name here)" Too wordy? Yours look really good. I want one. Stupid question- where do I find my chassis #? I'll be happy to send you some decals in trade. An elise front plate insert? Chapman signatures? I think I'm going to do the Chapman signature in the door jamb.

Also I really like that location shown. I was going to have one made to sit in the square on the right side of the dash in front of the passenger, but maybe like Randy said, that might be trying hard.

This board is the coolest. :bow:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks very sharp indeed! :up: I like the spot towards the front of the door sill. Also might look good more forward into the passenger footwell area (on the side); this would be visible to the driver but not overtly obvious to the causual gawker.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
just bob said:
Looks very sharp indeed! :up: I like the spot towards the front of the door sill. Also might look good more forward into the passenger footwell area (on the side); this would be visible to the driver but not overtly obvious to the causual gawker.
My reason against this location is that it may get damaged from feet. I noticed scuff marks there that I had to clean off and I wonder how the badge would hold up.

I noticed another location that would work well, the only downside being it is more "in your face" and that would depend on the owner. The back of the aluminum dash tray.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi SweetDaddyD,
Glad you like the plaque idea. I've been getting a lot of good feedback on it, plus a number of people have ordered them as well. :)

I can put the wording you want on the plaque, no problem. It should all fit, although you may want to go with the larger size plaque.

Your chassis number is the last 4 digits of the car's VIN number, which is under the windshield on the driver's side.

PM me your details and I'll make one up for you.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 341 Posts