The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, I drove down to PES and met Tony and Hugo. In about an hour, they’d installed their chip on my Elise.

That morning, I had run a timed stretch in 3rd gear between 3500 rpm and the shift light on a particular piece of road. I wanted a long enough time to minimize any error the part of my reflexes (hence 3rd gear), and I didn’t want a shift to add more variables.

Yes, this test isn’t scientific, but has served me well for about 40 years.

The time was 9.27 seconds. Engine temp was about 185, and the road was reasonably flat.

After the chip installation, I drove about 100 miles (and drove an A-M DB7 V8) and returned home about 12 hrs later. I went to the same stretch of road and ran the same test. Engine temp was about 182.

The new time was 8.24 seconds. In this test, then, I picked up a full second.

Even given the vagaries (my reflexes, when the red shift light appears, etc.), this is a significant improvement.

The car runs perfectly and simply feels better throughout the rev range. The cam change is still there, but more gently and at a lower RPM.

Running through all the gears will be improved, as no shift will drop the engine into the previous “dead zone”.

Overall, I am very, very happy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
glb said:
Last Friday, I drove down to PES and met Tony and Hugo. In about an hour, they’d installed their chip on my Elise.

That morning, I had run a timed stretch in 3rd gear between 3500 rpm and the shift light on a particular piece of road. I wanted a long enough time to minimize any error the part of my reflexes (hence 3rd gear), and I didn’t want a shift to add more variables.

Yes, this test isn’t scientific, but has served me well for about 40 years.

The time was 9.27 seconds. Engine temp was about 185, and the road was reasonably flat.

After the chip installation, I drove about 100 miles (and drove an A-M DB7 V8) and returned home about 12 hrs later. I went to the same stretch of road and ran the same test. Engine temp was about 182.

The new time was 8.24 seconds. In this test, then, I picked up a full second.

Even given the vagaries (my reflexes, when the red shift light appears, etc.), this is a significant improvement.

The car runs perfectly and simply feels better throughout the rev range. The cam change is still there, but more gently and at a lower RPM.

Running through all the gears will be improved, as no shift will drop the engine into the previous “dead zone”.

Overall, I am very, very happy.
Excellent write-up! I think that your real-world approach to testing this new product may be just as meaningful as a scientific one to a regular, everyday driver like myself. Please continue to post your thoughts as you become more familiar with the chip!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
nice idea on the test. definitely confirms what I feel with mine. it just seems quicker all around. everybody should get their cam switchover change done. I think it's by far the biggest bang for the buck there is available and it literally takes 10 min to do!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
okay but now the critical questions.

how much does it weigh?rotfl

how much is it?

can it be a DIY install?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Any long-term ill effects for the engine or other components?

·
Premium Member
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyguyskt said:
okay but now the critical questions.

how much does it weigh?rotfl

how much is it?

can it be a DIY install?

It weighs less than if I had soldered it. Whenever I solder, I add about 2 lbs. of material; not good at this.

If you are careful, you can DIY.

PES uses a nifty hot-air soldering station, costs about $3k.

·
Premium Member
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cali said:
Any long-term ill effects for the engine or other components?
Well, I don't think so.

Engine does run a bit richer, which in theory could wear rings more quickly. But, the HP jump isn't huge, the chip just makes it more useable. So, the rest of the car should be fine....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
glb said:
If you are careful, you can DIY.
are you sure? have you seen how small that chip is and how close together the legs are? I know tony does it under magnification. I can't imagine attempting this without the proper tools and experience. could wreck your $1500 ECU.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
great! thanks for the info.
now all we have to do is wait for the 2006 version and i can consider getting mine done.

·
Premium Member
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More Good News

Not only has the car run flawlessly, I am now getting better fuel mileage.

I assume this is because I can at times run in a higher gear than before.

A friend who'd driven my car many times liked the chip, felt it was more responsive and a bit more torque-ative.

Also, Sector 111 gearshift tower stiffener (+ Stan's mods) has made the car significantly better shifting.

Now working on mesh grills. (Not BBQ)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts