1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ha! That was clever. It took a little while, but I figured it out.

Bob K.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hmm. Seemed simple to me; I got it right away. What I don't understand are the different ways of interpreting the instructions :confused:

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got that right away, first roll and five after. Very easy. Any more games?

·
Registered
296 Posts
tidalwdave said:
I got that right away, first roll and five after. Very easy. Any more games?
By definition of the problem that's impossible unless you already knew what it was asking for. It took me about 10 rolls to give up and read the rest of the posts, then got it in about 4 more.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ok, then my question to those who didn't get it on the first try: how did you interpret the instructions before you got it right? (I'm being serious)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dan said:
Ok, then my question to those who didn't get it on the first try: how did you interpret the instructions before you got it right? (I'm being serious)
There is not a way of misinterpretting the instructions they are very basic. Where the difference comes in is that peoples minds think differently. Some people will over analyze or over complicate the problem. Some people will just take it for face value make an assumption and if it works they are satified and move on. The first five or six times I rolled I was looking at number sequences and then the correct answers started to develop a pattern (which was probably just from the simplicity of the programming) so instead of just finding the simple answer I made the problem much harder than it was. But I still think getting it right off the bat is just luck.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I wasn't sure the first time, and chose the wrong one of the two options I considered. After seeing the solution, it was obvious how it works, and I got it right every time. I don't know if that's a good thing, quote from the background section: "he would always explain that the smarter you were, the longer it took to figure it out."

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dan said:
I am one of the ones that tried to out-think this. I looked at numbers patterns, math sequences, the use of the word rose and did it really mean "rows"... directions of the dots, and placement in the group as factors.

And of course it was simpler than that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Then I guess I'm either lucky or dumb or both. I might as well throw my Berkeley education out the window :rolleyes:

If it took Dr. Duke over a year to figure this out, does that really mean he is that much smarter than any of us? I suspect he suffers from analysis-paralysis on a daily basis.

My software engineering background taught me to keep things as simple as possible, or else you'll never get anything done. But then again, the world of academia doesn't necessarily have to worry about strict project deadlines that are tied to monetary consequences.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I completely over-analyzed the problem as well. I started writing down multiple formulaic interpretations before it dawned on me what the solution was.

Bob K.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pretty Cool

I figured it out after two tries! I'm guessing that it was my imaginative side that helped me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts