1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think it will happen either, but I signed it anyway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Perhaps they would give us the option of having a front plate or not if we agreed to have rfid chips imbedded in our arms... :shrug: Worth asking right?

Just think if the dipsticks only gave out one plate and charged us the same... they would save money on plates (manufacturer not happy though and probably pull some gifts)... in turn they get to waste more dough... They just might go for that. :clap:

Also, someone use the green angle... metal and noxious paint saved... which eventually would end up in a landfill etc... :nanner2:

I'm all for the petition though...:coolnana:
Thanks for the heads up... :D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Will NEVER happen. Especially since some police agencies have starting using automatic license plate recognition cameras on their patrol cars, including the LAPD.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WA5Gy32aqdo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WA5Gy32aqdo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it will happen either, but I signed it anyway.
same here of course.
but had to share.

too bad they don't have a "cars designed NOT to have a front plate" exemption.

or at least a new law allowing smaller thinner license plates like they have in [email protected]#

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personal Identification as chips embedded in humans are coming soon enough. They do this for animals now and have been doing human trials for the past 4-5 years and have basically perfected this. If you didn't know, they do have 'as an option' to embed a chip in your new born baby as a form of identification and tracking encase your kid is swiped. This has been offered for about the last year or more now.

Soon, this will not be an option, but a requirement. Now, if you are a believer in the Bible, this is a definante sign of the end times. But, I won't introduce that doom and gloom...

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I believe someone on here pursued this a few years ago and went to very high places and still got rejected. I've had the car almost 4 years and have yet to get a front plate ticket.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I say we all go around unscrewing everybody's front plate in the middle of the night. Or, we could all voluntarily run without front plates and condition the police to accept cars without them. That's how it's done where I come from. I chuckle everytime I see some rice boy with his plate off to the side. Just remove it, ****tard.

BTW, Mason... I doubt we'll see mandatory chips embedded in humans. That would be a recipe for instant revolution. Someone needs to photoshop something to that effect on a ramen instant noodle cup.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Good luck guys.....They'll probably make you put plates on the sides of your cars too before they'll let you take them off the front. Maybe I shouldn't have said that. :rolleyes:

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Even the cops think it's joke. Here's an excerpt from my blog about this. This happened a couple weeks ago.

"When I got back to the city, I drove the ‘scenic route’. I wanted to visit a few spots and run some errands. I was stopped at the red light in front of Union Square. I had my windows down and saw a motorcycle cop parked at the corner. He walks up to me and asks if I’ll pull over across the street so he can talk to me about my front license plate, or rather lack there of. So I’m nice and friendly and pull over in the Lotus. He asks for my driver’s license. Fozzy, my Powder Puff Chinese Crested, is freaking out a bit in the passenger seat. I tell him that’s he’s got anxiety issues. He says it must be the helmet and uniform. He actually pets Fozzy. While this is going on, I tell him I used to have a front plate on, but it damaged my car since it’s all fiberglass and no bumpers. I tell him I just pay the fine whenever I get tickets now. He says, he agrees that I shouldn’t be required to have it. I tell him that Gavin Newsom is an old acquaintance and client of mine and how he had me put a front plate bracket on his Tesla Roadster (it’s carbon fiber, but fortunately does have a front bumper) because of the cameras. Basically the red light cameras in the city are a great way to get revenue, but to also capture accidents. We got into a conversation about the red light laws and how I actually got hit in my Range Rover last year by someone who ran a red light in front of me as I was taking off on my green. I swiped his whole passenger side and he cost me $1k out of pocket to replace my bumper as it was a hit and run. So the cop lets me go without even running my license. Thank goodness. Otherwise he would have seen I have a led foot and might have given me a fix it ticket for the plate and who knows what else (tinted lights, sport cat, tinted windows, etc.) which I would have also signed off by a buddy. He just saved me the hassle & some nominal fee."

·
Registered
232 Posts
No, you got lucky and/or he displayed poor judgement in doing his job of enforcing the same law for all. Fix-it tickets are not a given for this. Non-correctable violation $168 will likely be the norm, along with other revenue generating rip-offs in this bankrupt state.

Do you think it is wise to disclose that you have connections to a crooked insider? I am not saying, don't use it, just don't publicise it in an open forum. Someone else might join the dots.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
I definitely feel I got lucky in this situation, although in the 5+ years I've had my Elise this is the first time I got stopped for no front plate.

Not sure what crooked insider you are referring to? I didn't mention any, lol. If you are referring to Gavin, I think you may need to re-read my post. He puts front plates on all his vehicles. That's not crooked at all. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What I want is to allow a smaller front plate, not eradicate it entirely. I had a custom bumpersticker made with my license plate number, with a red CA on the left to indicate it was California. I even used the standard California plate colors. I made the sticker the size of the plate area on the front clam. The letters and numbers are almost as large as the standard plate. (The standard plate has a lot of wasted space - we don't need to leave room for the year and month stickers on the front.) So far, no tickets.

We could use the argument that the current plates are too large, which makes it hard to have small, aerodynamic fuel efficient cars, and thus harms the environment. That argument might go further in California than trying to get rid of front plates entirely. We need a petition for smaller front plates.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I definitely feel I got lucky in this situation, although in the 5+ years I've had my Elise this is the first time I got stopped for no front plate.

Not sure what crooked insider you are referring to? I didn't mention any, lol. If you are referring to Gavin, I think you may need to re-read my post. He puts front plates on all his vehicles. That's not crooked at all. Am I missing something?
I'm in Ontario which requires two plates. Next door to us is Quebec which requires only the rear. I decided to not afix a front plate and hope for the best.

I was hoping that the MTBF (mean time before fine) would be a year or more. Unfortunately I got a ticket 2 weeks ago after 6 months of ownership. However since the cop "almost" bought my story I think I will go to court and plead for leniency. I think there is a chance. Also while the court case is pending I am hoping that if another cop pulls me over I can say that it would not be right to give me another ticket until the court fight is resolved.

Anyways I think that in most cases cops would not notice. If they see the car from behind it would have the plate and look legal. If they see it from the front they might think it is from a neighbouring province.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Just checked.

Only 5 of 10 provinces require a front plate:

British Columbia
Manitoba
Ontario
New Brunswick
Newfoundland

Those that don't are:

Alberta
Saskatchewan (dropped as of July 1, 2004)
Quebec
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island

1 - 20 of 33 Posts