The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Interesting, I signed but I don't think it stands a chance, unfortunately. If anything I'm afraid it may be going the other direction, becaus of increased concern in the past few years over the upsurge (real or perceived) in people running red lights. They're installing more cameras at "hot spot" intersections as a result, and plates on the front are what they're looking for.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
They take pictures of the back plates too, at least at some lights. Make a note of where the camera is, where the flash strobe is, and which lane it's guarding.

If I was designing such a system, I'd disregard the front plate altogether.. it's too variable. Go with the rear plate.

Likewise for the toll-lanes on 73 here. They shoot the back plate.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Ah but you see, with the front plate, it's the perfect photo: front of car (going through intersection), license plate, driver (smile!) - from the back of the vehicle, how do they know who's driving ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
As much as I hate the concept of red-light cameras, I think they are now 'necessary.' The red-light runners are just WAY out of control, in L.A. anyway. Without enforcement and fines, I think it would get significantly worse.

Speed cameras are on the way, too. In England, they now have devices that can recognize your plate at two separate locations on the freeway, calculate average speed, and ticket accordingly. No more 'slowing down for the camera.'

·
Banned
901 Posts
We are supposed to have a front plate in Missouri as well but I've never had one on the Esprit. I was pulled over one time (what me speeding?) and the police officer inquired about the front plate. I responded by saying the bracket from England is on back order, the officer chuckling relies "Well it is British!" No ticket!

Mark

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
grudkin said:
Speed cameras are on the way, too. In England, they now have devices that can recognize your plate at two separate locations on the freeway, calculate average speed, and ticket accordingly. No more 'slowing down for the camera.'
That's just evil.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
TotallyGreen said:
Signed. Anyone know what the penalty for not having a front plate is? Because there is no way I'm putting one on my elise.
$50. I think it's a fix-it ticket, but I elected to just pay the fine rather than drill holes in my bumper.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It is a fix-it ticket and cost depends on the jurisdiction. I got one in LA last year and it cost me $20 - 10 to get the police to inspect and issue a certificate stating that I had fixed the problem and 10 to file the certificate with the court (by mail). Not sure what happens if you are a repeat offender. Took the license plate off a month later, because the front bracket on my Miata was rattling loose, and haven't had any problems since. One ticket in 15 years isn't bad. However, the Lotus may get more attention from the police. I plan to take my chances without the front plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts