The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to short the shifter on my Elise. I'm not really interested in the throw but rather the height of the shift knob. In my first gen mr2 the shifter was like a flight joystick, you didnt hold a knob you grabbed a stick ( thumbs up ). On my 3rd gen mr2 I had about the same height as the Elise and I literately hacked it off and lower the knob. I had to get a new 3 screw ( Christmas tree like ) knob because the OEM was a threaded type. This is obviously not going to work on the Elise as there is a pulley for reveres and I would not want to do this to a lotus anyways.

Can anyone think of a way to do this that would be reversible?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I never understood the fascination with typical aftermarket short throws...

if its a comfort level thing (which i assume it is since you are used to it from previous cars) then i would suggest to adapt to your environment & get used to the standard throw of your Elige

'short throws' are essentially meant to shave fractions off gear change times during 'power shifting'... but honestly dont do anything beneficial but create notchy gear changes & ultimately increase the tendency of grinding between shifts

its an adopted ricer mentality in my opinion & now is the best time to grow out of it

on top of that, there is no such option for the Elige because our community has deemed it unnecessary & for good reason.

if you want quicker shifting get a sequential. if you want smoother shifting look into LETSLA, reinforce your shift housing, or install stiffer engine mounts (or do all 3?)

sorry for the long winded harsh approach, but learning is mandatory here :up:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I really do agree on all points, I think short shifters are silly and pointless. As you said its a comfort thing. I'm just use to shifting at arm level not reaching up. To be honest the lotus IMO has a very nice shift to it. I know the idea for the Elise is to be very "race car" like and the shifter is purposely closer to the wheel, I get it but I'm not racing 24/7 ;). There is also no doubt that this car simply is not designed to be a daily car but I dont see the harm in asking.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
if you want smoother shifting look into LETSLA, reinforce your shift housing, or install stiffer engine mounts (or do all 3?)
look into these 3 options then...

they wont help with shift height at all... but it can positively affect the shift feel in general. since the biggest issue with shifting in these cars are typical notchiness & often times stock cabling/weak support housing allowing too much slop/play between shifts

these cars were certainly not built for comfort, but the ergonomics/positioning are still pretty comfortable & natural in my opinion

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I read up on that already, again it does not target my petty concern here and does not look like a simple job. I do agree on that 3rd gear its tricky at times... I wonder if the height could be modified on the LETSLA in some way?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
not to your point - but the Clayton big ball rocks. The ssc shift cables apparently change the world for the better also. And the shifter reinforcement plate.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I saw swinglo talking about that thing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch, I totally set him up for that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts