The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went with the Phantom Black since both my wife and I like black cars. The Elise is our 3rd black cars. I understand that black shows swirls marks more easily, but I think what I am experiencing is more serious.

I am getting these strange swirl marks that just show up out of no where by the driver side door area. It is where the door meets with rear clam area where it begins to flats out horizontally. I swear that those swirl marks where not there when I Zaino the car 2 weeks ago, and they just stated to appear more and more every time I drive the car.

Is our clear coat so soft that even driving the car will create swirl marks? It is frustrating me out. I don't think the Zaino #5 will cover those up.

I cannot take a good picture showing them, but they kind of look like smashed together XXXX.

Anyone have the same problem? Any other Phantom Black drivers or other dark color drivers?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I drive phanton black no problem...

Although I have had this before............ And got rid of it.......

Sounds like you have what's called a "hollogramming" issue. Looks like swirls but it basically comes from bad polishing and shows up over time in different lights. Its more in the wax than in the paint.

Theory goes when you put wax on the car (could be the dealer) it covers up any swirls and/or hollogrammes... Over time the wax wears off or washes off and starts to show the covered swirls/hollogrammes.

Give the door a seriously good rinse (3 or 4 times), then wash it with a VERY soft non-swirl cloth/mit (use car shampoo), rinse it again another 3 or 4 times, then apply 2 or 3 LIGHT coats of wax.. Buff off to shine... And then buff again for good measure to make sure its all off.

Should do the trick :clap:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a Phantom black S. I've owned several black cars before, so I know what you're saying. I only hand wash my car using a foam gun and a Boars' hair brush and 2 buckets. One with carwash shampoo, same as what's in the foam gun and the other with clean water for rinsing the brush. As for drying, I bought an air blower designed for drying motorcycles. It works great and there is way less contact with the paint. A microfibre towel gets the rest, like the drips from the wing mirrors and the endplates on the spoiler. For waxing, I use a paste Carnuba(sp).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess the short answer is that I need to get it polished really good and then try Zaino again??

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
or do what i do and don't wash it.

the car will be mildy sandblasted as you drive around, the places on the car where the air flows the most are going to get it the worst, you can see it after driving with a dirty car it'll leave streaks of dirt in certain areas

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Although I haven't seen the swirls you are referencing, I have had good success on Black using Meguires swirl remover or 3M's version.

Black really does require a different level of maintenance to look its best.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bust out the Porter-Cable, some swirl remover and polishing compound. That's the only way you're going to solve the problem. It sucks that it takes so long to properly care for paint, but the car looks so damn good afterward ;)

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I'm thinking about star shielding my entire car...any swirl marks show up easily in a black car.... or I might cover my entire car in matte black vinyl to look like that Elise in in SoCal.

both my cars are black, they look awesome when clean, but it is really hard to maintain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or do what i do and don't wash it.

the car will be mildy sandblasted as you drive around, the places on the car where the air flows the most are going to get it the worst, you can see it after driving with a dirty car it'll leave streaks of dirt in certain areas
Yeah, I work out of Fontana, CA. It is windy and sandy here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts