The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I find more people like the Phantom Black better... but i don't know :shrug:

Maybe if the flake was in the paint instead of the clear coat it would look better. Either way Lotus pain jobs aren't going to win any awards.

Neil

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
either way, you have to wash it every 10 minutes. rotfl

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
A clean Phantom Black car looks awesome. 10 minutes later it looks like a Starlight Black car.

The Starlight Black car just has a head start to looking dirty.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A clean Phantom Black car looks awesome. 10 minutes later it looks like a Starlight Black car.

The Starlight Black car just has a head start to looking dirty.
rotfl

since Starlight was the only black available for 05's,
the choice was already made for me.
But I like the added sparkles and can't complain.
-I felt black was the best color for the Lotus as it allows all the black trim to blend in better.

The sparkles aren't nearly as visiible as my metalic-black Z.
and honestly, I think perhaps that the metal flakes help hide initial fine dirt in the first place.?
-and hides mud even better than most other colors perhaps.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
starlight black has a gold fleck in it while technically Phantom is a "pearl-effect" paint although the only way to tell is to have the car freshly detailed and in the right light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info! Looking to get a black exige soon and wasn't sure about the difference!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It should be abundantly clear that if you own a starlight black then you think it is better, likewise for phantom black. =)

I'm predicting at some point someone will post the matte black pic. =)

My wife teases me cause I'm always washing my black car. =|

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
thanks for the info! Looking to get a black exige soon and wasn't sure about the difference!
I can't recall if I've seen a black exige up close in either blacks.
but while I have Starlight Black on my Elise, and like it.
..for some reason I feel I might lean towards Phantom or non-metallic for an Exige, especially if the wheels are black as well, for a meaner look at least.

..sorta why there's no California Exige package!
boy would that look gay!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the Phantom Black. Too bad the Black Pack (wheels and diffuser) are no longer available on the Elise.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Starlight Black has more of a depth to it... I wasn't a fan of black until I saw Starlight Black. I miss that color! :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
For a while, I had a phantom black hardtop on my starlight black elise. It was very difficult to tell them apart from a distance, especially when covered in pollen (I like spring in CA, but gimme a break with the darn pollen already). I did notice a significantly smoother finish on the HT, though that may be a function of the HT and not the paint itself.

I'd say I like the PB more, but it showed scratches and swirlys at lot more than the SB.

BTW, unless you're the kind of person who keeps a California Duster and a bottle of detailing spray in the trunk, you might want to consider another color :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had strongly considered purchasing a 2007 phantom black exige s. When clean, it looks hot, and I personally prefer it over the starlight black. I've owned a few black cars over the years and they are tough to keep looking new. As previously suggested, unless your completely anal retentive about your cars, you may want to reconsider this decision..... but can understand the affinity of wanting a black car (b/c it was my favorite color choice for many years).:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts