The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Phone Mount suggestions

18K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  CrimPhoenix 
#1 ·
Looks like most of the threads on this subject are a few years old.
What are you using to mount your Iphone in your Elise ?

#3 ·
The RLS mount was great, if can find one.

#4 ·
PeteB37, Not phone mount related but I see a microphone in your pics with the wire doing down in the seam. I assume that is for phone calls through the Pioneer receiver. Where did you run the wire to get it back behind the head unit?

#10 ·
#12 ·
For my purposes I chose the more bulky RAM mount because a) I wanted a no-BS mount for my giant Note 9 and b) I wanted a mount that would allow me to access audio controls (my mobile device is my head unit in my case) and allows for a clear path for the camera when recording forward view angles (eg when using Harry's Lap timer or streaming a drive).

And it works great! I can literally try to throw the phone out of the holder and it doesn't budge. The mount has a lot of adjustments but is simple to adjust on the fly (one knob allows adjustment of two ball joints) and has a great suction cup that I can stick just about anywhere. Only downside is that it is ugly and large so it is not ideal for a "permanent" mount solution. But it was ideal for my situation.

#18 ·

That’s part of why we use two, one above the other. They don’t twist so much too.

#15 ·
Bummer. That's where I'd really like to have it; off to the side and out of the way. Perhaps I can modify that printed mount you got since it has the base curvature already. Going to give it a shot - I'll let you know after it gets here (estimated at end of month currently).

#19 ·
I bought a Punkcase. It keeps the phone u high so my eyes are always on the road, even when using the maps. It is a clamshell shape, so it falls out of the way when not in use.
This is a nice clean look. If the modifications I have in mind don't work out, I may look to this next. Definitely nice having it up and out of the way of the vents.

#20 ·
So I know another member mentioned about the RLS mount... After just browsing GRPs site, I did find that he had it listed. Although, I don't know the availability Greg may have for these. Best to reach out to him.

RLS Mount

#21 ·
Mine is on the flat area of the dash, like others have done above.
It's a "GoXT" and is very secure, easy to put in and take out.

However if the roof is on, the trouble I've found is heat from the sun (even on a normal warm day) due to a lack of cool airflow around the phone causes it to go into "cool down" mode (ie the display dims) especially when running Wase with the charging cable in (as Wase uses tons of power).

#25 ·
I went with the original suggestion in this thread and found that the mount did not stay attached to the dash. Went with this, which is what we have in my wife's car, and it works like a charm. Who uses CDs anyways these days. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HME9AU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I liked this suggestion, so i bought this one. When i went to test it out, i realized it doesn’t fit the stock Blaupunkt Acapulco head unit. Because the face flips down to access the cd drive, and it’s recessed a bit, there isn’t enough room to insert this mount in the cd drive. The radio would be inaccessible with the face down even if this did fit. Just FYI for others.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.