The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Besides being an excellent and entertaining host, the guy's got one hell of a daily driver.

Highlights:

1. Watching (and hearing!!) him drive the 250 GTO around the parking lot.
2. The sound produced by the DBR2 when he fired it up. I may never hear anything else that good. I may also never hear anything else again.

Lowlight:

1. Being too polite to elbow my way in when he asked if anyone wanted to ride back to his house with him in his Enzo when he realized he didn't have the keys to the garage.

http://web.mac.com/andykeck/whitten/

Attachments

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I should have majored in math.
:)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have majored in math.
:)
No doubt. Although I've met several guys that own significant collections, Greg seemed the most genuinely excited to share. Like if you had stopped by my garage the day my Elise was delivered.

Not pictured:
1935 ERA
Lightweight E-Type
1st Lola customer car

Attachments

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had taken notes or something as he described what each car is like on the track. If I told you from memory the numbers for the F40 that he threw out, you'd probably accuse me of making them up.

I do recall that he said that the Alfa P3 even now still had enough juice on one of his recent track days to embarrass a couple previous-generation M3 drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
...I do recall that he said that the Alfa P3 even now still had enough juice on one of his recent track days to embarrass a couple previous-generation M3 drivers.
That's just awesome! I would love to hear that thing!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I was only able to swing by for a few minutes. Would have loved to have stayed and met people. Some beautiful cars down there. A few nice ones in the lot from visitors too. Saw a 7, a couple esprit's including a JPS colored one, several elises one with a nice Larini exhaust, and even a RHD S1 Elise.

andykeck, I picked up about 90 photos, would you want them for your site?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Really sad that I had to leave so quick. Had a birthday party for a 2yr old to get to! Kids that age are much less understanding. =) It was interesting catching some of the history and details about the cars as Greg was talking about each of them. A crying shame that I missed him starting some of them up. :(

Many thanks to Greg for opening up his garage, and to elcc and andykeck for organizing and hosting the event.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Very nice collection :)

If you're like me and were wondering WTF Greg is....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Whitten said:
"Greg Whitten is a former Microsoft Chief software architect where he worked from 1979 to 1998. Whitten graduated from University of Virginia with a B.A. in mathematics and from Harvard University with a Ph.D. in applied mathematics. Since 1998, he has been CEO of NumeriX. He is also a vintage car enthusiast."

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was only able to swing by for a few minutes. Would have loved to have stayed and met people. Some beautiful cars down there. A few nice ones in the lot from visitors too. Saw a 7, a couple esprit's including a JPS colored one, several elises one with a nice Larini exhaust, and even a RHD S1 Elise.

andykeck, I picked up about 90 photos, would you want them for your site?
Yeah, it's too bad you couldn't stay longer. I saw you drive up and leave in pretty short order.

We also went upstairs to see a shop that does repairs and mods for various high-end autos. I guess they've done Lotus work for years and they're looking to get into the Elise business now that cars are coming off warranty. Very good to know.

The guy that owns that red S1 also has a Motorsport Elise. Here's a photo from a trip to Mt. St. Helens last year. He got a friend to drive one of his cars so he could switch halfway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yeah, it's too bad you couldn't stay longer. I saw you drive up and leave in pretty short order.
That pull up and leave was just as I was leaving, I moved my car so I could take some pics next to the JPS Esprit. I was actually there before 11 and left around 11:45, certainly not long enough to meet a lot of people or to catch all the things that happened later. I did get a chance to say hi to a few people while we were waiting for the Enzo to return, but once the doors opened, well lets say people were a tad preoccupied. Probably not the best time for introductions, but I live in Bellevue, would have been almost criminal not to swing by.

We also went upstairs to see a shop that does repairs and mods for various high-end autos. I guess they've done Lotus work for years and they're looking to get into the Elise business now that cars are coming off warranty. Very good to know.
Was the factory upstairs the DeLorean place?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That pull up and leave was just as I was leaving, I moved my car so I could take some pics next to the JPS Esprit. I was actually there before 11 and left around 11:45, certainly not long enough to meet a lot of people or to catch all the things that happened later. I did get a chance to say hi to a few people while we were waiting for the Enzo to return, but once the doors opened, well lets say people were a tad preoccupied. Probably not the best time for introductions, but I live in Bellevue, would have been almost criminal not to swing by.

Was the factory upstairs the DeLorean place?
The place upstairs I was referring to is Specialty Cars Auto Service. The Delorean place is a couple doors down from it. We'll probably go back for a tech day at some point.

You're luckier than you know to have gotten that picture with that Esprit. Its owner is a great guy that has come to just about every event in the last four years, but I've only seen him drive that car once before. I was actually more surprised to see that Esprit than the Enzo.

·
Registered
309 Posts
whats that blue car in the middle is it a modified front of an elise?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts