The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Please be very careful if you choose to drive your Elise on a dirt (gravel) road.

I did today, and yes I was spinning my wheels and intentionally oversteering and sliding the car to get a feel for its handling, and this is the result. I probably did less than 10km (5 or 6 miles).

http://www.pbase.com/patfelstead/dirt_road_stone_damage

Take care,

Patrick

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
And this is why you should spend the $995 on the 3M coating. Will is save your car from all damage from such an incident, likely not. But most of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And this is why you should spend the $995 on the 3M coating. Will is save your car from all damage from such an incident, likely not. But most of it.
maybe ...

but take a closer look and you will see that even the Lotus fitted stoneguard is heavily stone marked.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Better the stoneguard (which can be replaced) than the paint...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Who installed the chip protection? Looks like it could have been installed closer to the edges to mitigate such damage. 20/20 hindsight, but thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
From what I've seen of the film on bikes, it can take a pretty good hit, dent or mar the film but leave the paint undamaged.

True, always going to be areas you won't have protected that get dinged, but the full kit would certainly eliminate a lot of it.

As Arno said, the rockers and flares take the bulk of the hit.
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
A friend of mine owns a company called Lamin-x. I highly recommend his paint protection. It is much cheaper than most. He also has colored film (yellow, blue, and smoked) for headlights, turn signals etc. Check it out at http://www.lamin-x.com . Once I get my Elise, he will have precut templates for all the delicate areas.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I'm also wondering about protection film for the headlight, each unit costs something like 400 or 500 dollars. It would seems putting the thicker film on here would be a good idea. I don't the Lotus kit has any protection on the lights/

They're easy tho, I'll just by the raw film from xpel and put it on myself.
Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would highly recommend protecting the headlights. I put it on my TT's headlights and it works great. You can peel it off and re-apply it anytime you want. This works great to stop the surface from pitting as well as protecting from larger debris.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When I put the Xpel kit on my Passat, I also got the headlight pieces. They are thick and do a great job.

Putting the clear bra on the Passat was easy. Getting the Lotus paint protection because the install will be a PITA on the Elise.

·
Registered
426 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Isn't the stone guard made from the same 3M material? It didn't help one bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts