The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[shameless self promotion]

May issue, page 25.... :)

Nice shot of the front of the Spyder being raced by me in Los Angeles.

[/shameless self promotion]

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
Hi Randy,

Do you mean Sports Car International? I looked in May 2004, pg. 25 and it's a story on an auto show.

Ara

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. SportsCar. It's the official magazine of SCCA,

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ha, I saw that picture and what region it was taken in and thought to myself on a lark...I wonder if that's Randy, but then discounted it because somewhere I got it in my head your car was yellow. Guess I was right the first time. :)

Cool pic.

J

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
(Opening magazine to the "How much prep do you need?" article to find a 2-page photo of an MR2).

"Hey, that eye-chart style "TOYOTA" decal looks familiar....Blue Spyder...I recognize that guy! I wonder if that's from the event where he kicked my ass?"

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John Stimson said:
(Opening magazine to the "How much prep do you need?" article to find a 2-page photo of an MR2).

"Hey, that eye-chart style "TOYOTA" decal looks familiar....Blue Spyder...I recognize that guy! I wonder if that's from the event where he kicked my ass?"
lol

I was asked by someone with a 99 Sport Miata if I want to make the trip to Atwater..... not sure.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I registered today.

I will be competing at Atwater next weekend (April 23-25). For me, it will be a very different experience. First time I ever will have competed in a front engined car in a National event.

It looks like it could have some repeats from Los Angeles. D-Stock will again bump to C-Stock and will include two very fast BMW drivers. I hope this course allows the lower horsepower cars some place to benefit from being more agile.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Be sure to thank Ron for me :p

I have to assume that Kevin has learned his lesson and won't try to "warm up" his tires before his Sunday runs this time.

It looks like E stock is going to bump, too. E stock is currently Paul Brown in an MR2. I'm at least as concerned about him as I am about Glen and Kevin.

Following the Chapman creed, I've "added lightness" and bought a '99 Sport. I've been getting it set up this week, and am looking forward to trying it out on Sunday.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John Stimson said:

It looks like E stock is going to bump, too. E stock is currently Paul Brown in an MR2. I'm at least as concerned about him as I am about Glen and Kevin.
True. It is a good representation of the eventual class merge (IMO). :)

Cool you got a 99. See you in a week!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed that too... not that I was worried about those BMWs (yes, I was!).

Now the person to deal with is Paul Brown in the naturally aspirated MR2. He has beaten me and C-Stock before in that car.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I count three Elisetalkers at this event. Robert Puertas in his A-Mod monster and John Stimson and I in 1999 Miatas. Weather looks good.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out I am not going to make the trip either. In fact, my ride (car owner) left at 6:00am this morning. I did not. :(

Too much stuff to work on, projects to be done this weekend. I need to win the lottery so I can cut back on some of the work hours.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hey Randy, it's too bad you couldn't come up. It was a fast course...transitions all the way out that you could take flat-out all the way to the turnaround (at least on the left side; I was told that people were doing the same on the right but I don't really believe it). The turnaround was interesting, not just a big U like at San Bernardino. A 90-degree early-apex entry into a short cross-straight into a choose-your-line 135-degree exit. That exit is where I think people lost the most time, including me.

Paul Brown almost embarrassed us in his bumped MR2, but Michael Wootton saved the day. Amazingly, he did so with the stock front swaybar, not the 3-times-as-stiff front bar that's considered the hot setup. Custom-valved Bilsteins is all. I tried the same valving with the fat swaybar for a while and gave up; I never thought to try them with the stock bar! Anyway, I don't think it's the ideal setup, Michael's just a badass.

I don't know where I was on Sunday, but I might as well have been at home. I got my first redlight in competition and my first DNF at a national event, both on the course I needed the most improvement on! It was only a redlight by 0.006, too!

At least I got some setup advice. Telehowski told me my tires were too damned skinny. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
John,

Who did the custom valved shocks you mention? Are they fixed valving or adjustable? I am running Shocktek rebuilt Bilsteins on my Miata, and I really like them. I am sorry they are not around anymore or I'd give them a shout for the Elise.

I take it from your last comment you are on 205's?

Steve Brown
'94 Miata CS.....
'05 Elise soon?!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I sent the shocks to Bilstein in Poway, California. Bret Norgaard was my contact. He's an autocrosser and all around nice guy. The shocks are fixed valving. They were actually developed for the 1st generation Miata stock suspension with a Mazdaspeed front swaybar. They weren't doing adjustable conversions at the time, but they did have prototype adjustables that I think are still waiting to go into production.

Yes, I just bought 205s before the event. I didn't think they were making the 225s yet, so I didn't check. But sure enough, they had a set of 4 in the Hoosier truck at the event. Tempting...but not tempting enough to spend another $800!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts