The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
so it points down at something like a 45 degree angle toward the road surface? guess that could diminish the sound projection to the countryside a bit

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
_JD_ said:
That hole cutting job is pretty piss-poor. Not really "feelin" the stage 2 yet.
looks nice. i'm not big on cutting a larger hole into the diffuser. seems like it would be tough to get a nice even, clean cut through the metal.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
samberken said:
Can anyone tells me the difference? in terms of power, noise etc.

Is it street legal?
Tks
from the pics someone posted of their newly purchased stage II, it says right on the part, "For off-road use only"

so my guess is no, it's not street legal. ;)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shouldn't imagine any of the aftermarket Lotus exhausts would be street legal, as they're OEM, they have to conform to the emissions, noise etc. Stamping it off road removes them from the liability, Every single aftermarket sportbike pipe is off road use only.

Being a retired sheet metal worker. Relatively easy to cut it out neatly. cut close to the mark with tin snips, finish off with a file. Realistically, I think Lotus figures no one would want to buy a rear diffuser with the pipe so they offer the pattern as a more economical alternative.
Chris

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I shouldn't imagine any of the aftermarket Lotus exhausts would be street legal, as they're OEM, they have to conform to the emissions, noise etc. Stamping it off road removes them from the liability, Every single aftermarket sportbike pipe is off road use only.
:confused:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
BrianK said:
from the pics someone posted of their newly purchased stage II, it says right on the part, "For off-road use only"

so my guess is no, it's not street legal. ;)

I think what Chris is saying is that we have some funny laws and if the car did not have that exhaust when it was certified then it would have to say "Track Use Only" or some variation of that:)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Patricko said:
I think what Chris is saying is that we have some funny laws and if the car did not have that exhaust when it was certified then it would have to say "Track Use Only" or some variation of that:)
ahh... good point. I wonder what the legality of installing one aftermarket would be then. Being that it has no effect on emissions, I would guess that, as long as it fits within your local noise laws, it's fine on the road.

hmmm..

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Definition of Track

Bill Clinton let me borrow his dictionary and this is what I found:D

Track

A path along which something moves

Bill tells me that a road could also be considered a track. So what they must be saying is that you are not allowed to use it off the road:clap:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, by OEM I meant Original Equipment Manuf. in that if it's not certified with the car, for liability as well as emissions standards they'd make it off road use only.

Now, will the police inspect your off road use only pipe. Wouldn't guess so, tho they've been known to do it to motorcyclists.

Chris

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
there are only two ways for an exhaust to not be street legal...polutant emmissions and noise emmissions. almost every exhaust with a cat can pass smog on a new car so pollution isn't an issue. As far as noise, i'm sure it's still no louder than many people have on their cars.

The big thing is that manufacturers importing new cars face much stricter emmissions testing than you and i as citizens do. that i'm sure is why lotus shipped these as offroad only aftermarket items.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I gotta tell you that I was already planning on getting a stage II exhaust until I had my test drive today and I saw the pictures above. After taking the Valenti Elise around the block and thru the woods, I don't think I need the stage II exhaust. The car sounds great, no make that wonderful! And blipping the throttle during down shifts was sweet music to my ears. So nope, not gonna get it.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Stock exhaust weights under 30 pounds. Not sure how far under, but not a lot. Over 25 pounds.

Stage 1 is within a pound.

Stage 2 is just under 18 pounds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts