The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm neither a fan or a hater of Eric Clapton, but how does he end up with a special one-off edition? Wonder how one is able to take part of this Ferrari One-Off Program. Do they just draw a name, or does someone just approach Ferrari to get er done? If they just picked him to be the lucky one, I can think of wayyyy better people to pay homage to than him.
I'd love to be selected or have the money to give to Ferrari to come up with my own edition. Be like Homer! I can just see the Photoshop versions being created now.

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/first-look-ferrari-sp12-ec/

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
this what happens when you have too much money...and people become mental.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Sweet car but not $4M sweet. No car is deserving of that price unless there is some serious historic value to them. This ain't one of those cars, it's a fashion statement. But I suppose he thinks it goes well with his $20,000 suit.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Eric Clapton bought a custom Ferrari and paid premium dollars (US) for it. Ferrari didn't pay any "homage" to him, they just satisfied his desire to aquire a custom Ferrari at a price they both agreed upon.

When you purchase a car does your dealership try to determine if there is a "wayyyy" better person to sell their car to (pay homage to)?

Sounds like you're more of a hater as you think there are "wayyyy" better choices for the custom Ferrari than Mr. Clapton (even though he ordered and paid for it).

Eric, if you're out there, I've got your back. You are the consumate guitarist and there aren't enough superlatives to attribute to your works.

That said I posted because someone that read about your purchase of a Ferrari questions why you got a custom built model. $$$ is the answer, and you deserve them.

San

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Wow! Trigger a nerve? -poke-

First off I thought Ferrari just made that special edition out of the blue without Clapton's involvement, and just "paid homage" to him like stated in the article. Didn't know Clapton put money into it. It seemed rather random to me that he was selected, but now knowing that Clapton commissioned them, it makes more sense.

Secondly, if it was JUST Ferrari's choice and creation to "pay homage" to someone, yes I can think of paying homage to someone with a special edition $4M car, (better suited to that honor) like someone in the racing scene past or present, someone influential in the history with or of Ferrari, etc.
For instance, I like listening to a variety of different musicians and their creations and/or renditions. If all of a sudden Lamborghini came out with a Johnny Cash special edition $4M car, it would seem odd and rather random even though I think Johnny is cool. Them paying homage to Valentino Balboni by creating a special version Gallardo, on the other hand was more appropriate.

Thirdly, I have listened to Eric's music in the past and present and neither love it or hate it. You're obviously enthralled by him, and happy be to you. If you wanna have any part of Eric's back, than have at him. :p

And no manufacturer that I know of has made a special edition of any vehicle with my name on it for a dealership to sell. So why would a dealership be picky about who they sell to? Selling a car to a random person and a manufacturer's selection process of making a special edition paying homage to them are two totally different things. :shrug: Using the word "homage" is what the editor writing the article used not just something I threw out there.

Your argument is lacking. Try again. :popcorn:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Everyone's touchy......

My understanding is that Ferrari tried to first build this exact car for Johnny Cash, but when it came time to collect funding to start the build, they found out he was dead.

I'm a Clapton fan and a guitarist. Saw Clapton only once in concert. He played for 2 and a half hours without a break.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
This is the 12th car to come out of Ferrari's Special Projects division - hence the designation SP12. Ferrari generally does not comment publicly about who commissions these cars or what they cost, but there are a few owners that don't mind, and so we get occasional articles in Forza or R&T discussing them. Or, in the case of the P540 Superfast Aperta, there was an official 'unveiling' at the 2010 Cavallino Classic in Palm Beach.

Yes, it takes money to do it, but it also takes a real love for the cars as well. I don't imagine a non-enthusiast either a) getting very far into the details of the design process before giving up or b) getting very far into the process if at all before being told to just take a hike. Going to the factory to sit with the engineers reviewing wind tunnel and road test results is not for the faint of heart, but that is precisely what many of the SP customers do.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
THIS is the one off:

the James Glickenhaus P4/5 - apparently this dude shows up at cars and coffee events (drives it) a lot:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
THIS is the one off:

the James Glickenhaus P4/5 - apparently this dude shows up at cars and coffee events (drives it) a lot:
Indeed he does.

Hard to decide though which is Jim's bigger achievement. This, the P4/5 developed on an Enzo chassis with Pinninfarina styling, or the P4/5C built on a 430 chassis and raced at the Nurburgring and LeMans this year.

And let's not forget Mr. G.'s classic restorations, including the oldest known surviving Ferrari, chassis number 002 (though there is some debate over that, as there always will be for rebuilt, restored race cars). This is the sort of guy that gets to design and build a one off Ferrari. Clapton, Nick Mason, and several others you might not think of also have a long relationship with cars and racing. Rowan Atkinson, for example, is quite an accomplished driver in the historic racing circuit. Who knew.......

For a laugh, do a google image search for P4/5C, or for Scuderia Glickenhaus, and look for photos of P4/5C racing at LeMans with New York state license plates on the back.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone's touchy......

My understanding is that Ferrari tried to first build this exact car for Johnny Cash, but when it came time to collect funding to start the build, they found out he was dead.

I'm a Clapton fan and a guitarist. Saw Clapton only once in concert. He played for 2 and a half hours without a break.
He says "everyone's touchy" and then digs the bottom of the barrel with that pathetic Johnny Cash rip. :p Wow. Ouch. You dug deep there. rotfl
I'm sure if Johnny wanted a Ferrari, he'd just "..get it one piece at a time and it wouldn't cost him a dime...", so there'd be no need to collect money. 'Cause that's the way Johnny rolls. Badass! All gangster-like.
But I'm sure this thread can easily go from a Johnny vs Eric battle to jokes about each other's mom and my dad beating up your dad. :p So how's about leave it at the misunderstanding of the Ferrari in question being a "homage" to Clapton like originally said in the article, than what it really was, which is him commissioning them to build it?

Bong and a Blintz? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THIS is the one off:

Sweetness. Liking that. Looks like a meaty concept of the Enzo.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Indeed he does.

Hard to decide though which is Jim's bigger achievement. This, the P4/5 developed on an Enzo chassis with Pinninfarina styling, or the P4/5C built on a 430 chassis and raced at the Nurburgring and LeMans this year.

And let's not forget Mr. G.'s classic restorations, including the oldest known surviving Ferrari, chassis number 002 (though there is some debate over that, as there always will be for rebuilt, restored race cars). This is the sort of guy that gets to design and build a one off Ferrari. Clapton, Nick Mason, and several others you might not think of also have a long relationship with cars and racing. Rowan Atkinson, for example, is quite an accomplished driver in the historic racing circuit. Who knew.......

For a laugh, do a google image search for P4/5C, or for Scuderia Glickenhaus, and look for photos of P4/5C racing at LeMans with New York state license plates on the back.
Indeed. Rowan Atkinson and Nick Mason are two motoring icons. RIP on Mr Bean's McL F1!!! Nick Mason pens a great column for Octane. Was great to see him on the Olympics stage. The closing show was a mess, but when I saw Nick, I immediately saw his cars!!! Keep in mind, I've been a drummer for 36 years!!!

Mr. Glickenhaus, besides being fabulously wealthy, is supposed to be a really good guy - always willing to chat with people. Lots of videos on Youtube of him cruising c&c events.

I love the P4, but here's his car I REALLY like - the '67 Dino 206:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
He says "everyone's touchy" and then digs the bottom of the barrel with that pathetic Johnny Cash rip. :p Wow. Ouch. You dug deep there. rotfl
I'm sure if Johnny wanted a Ferrari, he'd just "..get it one piece at a time and it wouldn't cost him a dime...", so there'd be no need to collect money. 'Cause that's the way Johnny rolls. Badass! All gangster-like.
But I'm sure this thread can easily go from a Johnny vs Eric battle to jokes about each other's mom and my dad beating up your dad. :p So how's about leave it at the misunderstanding of the Ferrari in question being a "homage" to Clapton like originally said in the article, than what it really was, which is him commissioning them to build it?

Bong and a Blintz? :D
'Vell, den der is no pleasing you!'

My boss is from Holland and once I said, about 5 beers in - 'I'm sorry, I don't speak freaky deaky Dutch'

He didn't get it.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts