The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a track date set for the Elise in May. It's a FATT event at Summit Point. This will be my second time out and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the REV300 performs compared to my N/A motor from last time I was there.

Right now the car has black EuroExige rims and all season DWS tires. In my garage I've got some lightly used AD07's on the stock 8 spoke chrome rims.

So, although I think I'm gonna get killed for even asking, here's my dilemma. I know the Yoko's will perform better, but I *sooo* don't want to put the old rims back on the car. They just look terrible (to me) against all the rest of the mods I've done to the car in the last year.

Are the tires going to make that big of a difference, especially for a novice driver who doesn't [plan] on pushing the limits of the car?

Buying another set of tires is not an option, btw. Wife is already at her limit.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quite an interesting post I'll say that much. You're going to the TRACK not picking up chicks. Put the better tires on, they're the only thing connecting your car to the ground. Save vanity for the women.

Also, I'll add that I've had high performance all seasons on my car and IMO any all season you put on is going to severely rob your car of it's handling capability. It's completely night and day. Remember you're running a higher HP car too. I think you're going to be miserable on an all season tire.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, for a track day, if I only had a choice between a set of cup wheels + all season tires vs ronal bears + GOOD summer tires....I would choose the bears. In pink. Every time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've run DWSes at the track a few times this year, since High Plains generally has a few track days over the winter including a free one in late December and that's what's on the car (I don't like exposing soft tires to below freezing temps). They're not very good. The difference between them and AD07s will be tremendous even for a newer driver, especially on a car with lots of power.

You say they're both "rated high performance" but even a cursory inspection reveals that's not true. The DWS has 500+ treadwear rating (!!!) and soft sidewalls. In my experience, the DWS is very prone to wheel hop and weird steering feel. The only two good things I will say is that they don't start overheating and losing chunks as easily when pushed hard on this car like they do on heavier ones, and they're very good at communicating their limits (lots of noise and chatter before they finally let go).

If it's going to be below freezing or the track has slush or water on it the DWS could be in the same league as Advans - otherwise, no comparison. Run the Advans.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Put your Yoko's on your EuroExige rims for the day. ... will they fit?

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Lesser tires at track, especially early on, can be cool. Might give more audible feedback and help you know how much you are pushing them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lesser tires at track, especially early on, can be cool. Might give more audible feedback and help you know how much you are pushing them.
DWSes definitely do that (lots of chatter and squeal before they let go), but the sidewalls rubber band and fold over terribly at any pressure and because they seem to be especially prone to chattering for whatever reason, wheel hop is even worse than normal without an LSD.

I did my first track day on the Lotus with DWSes at a NASA HPDE and even running with an HPDE1 group on my first day the instructor's comment was "these tires suck horribly."

DWSes are great daily driver tires but I really think they're *too bad* to recommend over anything else.

I'd recommend taking them out if OP had no other option as track time beats no track time regardless of tire, but since there's a set of vastly superior tires waiting in the wings with only a cosmetic concern I'd absolutely run those instead.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Are the tires going to make that big of a difference, especially for a novice driver who doesn't [plan] on pushing the limits of the car?
Yes tires make a big difference.
The all seasons will still go around the track, just a few seconds slower.

It depends on whether looks are more important than performance?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great advice guys. Well worth the ribbing.

As to swapping tires, I'm sure I can do that with the back, but not so much on the front. There is a half inch difference in wheel sizes on the front.

So, with that, I'll swap wheels. Lap times aren't important to me (it isn't timed anyway), but I would rather keep out of the grass and off the walls.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Start a track day savings account. It's what I do.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
DWSes definitely do that (lots of chatter and squeal before they let go), but the sidewalls rubber band and fold over terribly at any pressure and because they seem to be especially prone to chattering for whatever reason, wheel hop is even worse than normal without an LSD.

I did my first track day on the Lotus with DWSes at a NASA HPDE and even running with an HPDE1 group on my first day the instructor's comment was "these tires suck horribly."

DWSes are great daily driver tires but I really think they're *too bad* to recommend over anything else.

I'd recommend taking them out if OP had no other option as track time beats no track time regardless of tire, but since there's a set of vastly superior tires waiting in the wings with only a cosmetic concern I'd absolutely run those instead.
Obviously I don't know these tires, just trying to add an element to the discussion.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts