The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Super stoked to have picked up my unicorn!

You might recall a few weeks ago, I began a post about what to look for when purchasing an Esprit. Amongst the replies was a PM from a fellow LT member who was contemplating the sale of his 03.5 Final Edition, and the discussion progressed to the point where I purchased his car.

Special thanks to lthlvpr for offering me the opportunity to pick up this car. He has owned it since 2016, and has sorted it out under the guidance of Gonzalo Mendoza who I also owe a thank you to for answering all of my questions about this car. LTHLVPR took meticulous care of this car and it shows. He was a gracious seller and took the time to answer all of my questions.

I drove up to Boston last night to meet lthlvpr and go over the car. No surprises! Finalized the paperwork and provided payment. My transport company was onsite this morning to pick it up and they delivered to my home around 5 pm.

Car is an 03 Final Edition gunmetal gray, black interior with gray stitching. Glass roof. This car is number 21 out of 38 for the 2003 model year, and 21st of the total 79 that were produced between 2003 and 2004.

She takes up a spot adjacent to my 2014 Elise Cup R.

Few pics until I get her cleaned up....

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
190 Posts
Great score. Enjoy that car! If it's an FE, I believe it would be an '03.5, correct? She's a beauty for sure, man.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Beautiful! But then I am partial to Gunmetal Metallic with black interior and grey stitching 🥰.

Do you have a certificate of provenance? Here's some data from my CoP.

Congrats on a fine purchase!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sjw...you are correct, model year 03.5

71type65... here is the excerpt from Lotus Archives documentation:

The ‘Final Edition’ was introduced in June 2003, part way through the 2003 model year from serial number 0543 to 0580, with the 2004 model year continuing from serial number 0581 to the last Esprit serial number 0621 in February 2004, with a total of 79 ‘Final Edition’ cars built, the majority of cars were built for the USA market, except for 6 for Japan (4x 2003 model year and 2x 2004 model year) and 1 for France (2003 model year). The following is based on serial number sequence and data available to date for the ‘Final Editions’ from serial number 0543;

Your car was the 21st out of 38 for the 2003 model year, (21st out of 79 in total),
Your car was the 4th out of 5 in Gunmetal for the 2003 model year (4th out of 7 in total); all for USA and all had black leather with grey stitching.
Gunmetal was the 5th most popular colour out of 14 different colours for all the ‘Final Edition’ models worldwide.

I hope you find this information of interest and you enjoy your Esprit ownership. Yours sincerely
Andy Graham Lotus Archives

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
forgot to mention, 32,080 miles

here is a list of work done on the car under ownership of lthlvpr:
  • New timing belt, injectors, gaskets, starter, ignition coils, cams indexed
  • Upgraded steering wheel from Lotus Evora
  • Custom tune for 475hp
  • All fluids replaced
  • New tires
  • Upgraded stereo and speakers with bluetooth and usb (stealth- look stock with stock grills)
  • Upgraded LED low and hi beam lights (all 4)
  • Upgraded radiator and fan kit
  • New valve cover gaskets
  • New air filters
  • New spark plugs
  • New spark plug wires
  • New oil cooler lines
  • Charged AC system
  • Upgraded tranny with EMCO kit (believe it was the last kit left on the globe and no more will be manufactured in the future)
  • Replace clutch, throw out bearing, Quaife ATB, rebuilt with new synchros
  • Replace primary and secondary injectors, both fuel pumps and fuel filter
  • Upgrade exhaust with high flow cats and new straight through cat-back, as well as cat delete option
  • Replace Front and Rear Suspension bushings (all of them)
  • Replace trans and engine mounts
  • Repack front wheel bearings
  • Refresh turbos with upgraded, more modern internals
  • All new hoses
  • Replaced driver/passenger window seals
  • Concours detail with wet sand, compound, multiple polish stages, sealant.
  • 2 ECUs come with the car. These are 'unobtanium’ now
I don’t think I need to do anything but drive it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Interesting, some of the CoP stats seem to agree but not all. Oh well, the cars are hand built and there was some variation so why not the documentation also 😏. Enjoy.

Do you happen to know where the car was serviced i.e. Emco kit installed, cam belts, etc?

·
Administrator
5,846 Posts
Beautiful car and well rounded garage! I'm envious!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the kind words!
I’ll post up some more pics when I get the Esprit cleaned up. I’ll include the Elise as well for comparison.
I hope to get the garage “finished” down the road. We moved into the home 4 years ago, and always seem to have a project underway. The garage somehow ended up last on the priority list!

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
165 Posts
Yeah. This thing gorgeous. Congrats, would love to have one.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, some of the CoP stats seem to agree but not all. Oh well, the cars are hand built and there was some variation so why not the documentation also 😏. Enjoy.

Do you happen to know where the car was serviced i.e. Emco kit installed, cam belts, etc?
After going through the paperwork, seems as if the work was done at Revolution Motorsport in Agoura Hills CA

Reactions: 71type65

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with the previous owner. Gonzalo Mendoza did the engine work

Reactions: 71type65

·
Registered
23 Posts
Absolutely beautiful car. My favorite Esprit is a final edition with a black interior. This is a great exterior color. Use it in good health.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely beautiful car. My favorite Esprit is a final edition with a black interior. This is a great exterior color. Use it in good health.
thanks Lighter.
I hope to get some Lotus-pron pics later this week or weekend to put up here. She absolutely is stunning. Prior owner took meticulous care of her, had a professional detail, which can be viewed here in this video:
I got real lucky here....

Attachments

Reactions: sjw1971
1 - 16 of 16 Posts