The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 2005 elise and picked up a 2008 Exige S 240 a few weeks ago. It is fully loaded, including LSD (in order to get the LSD quickly, I had to pick it up a few states over and drive it home!). I broke it in as prescribed by Lotus in their manual (as vague as their description for break-in happens to be...), mostly during the ~700 mile drive home.

Everything seems to be in good order, but I do have a few questions and one strange recurring issue that doesn't seem to be causing any daily harm.

1. Is there any agreement on what the best up-shifting RPMs are in each gear, or is the three blinking red lights always the best time to shift gears?
  2. Why is it so difficult to heel-to-toe shift into first? Sometimes I can't do it at all... It appears to be locked. This always happened on my Elise also.
  3. Shifting is clunky and clunkier at some speeds more than others, and the speeds this problem occurs at varies between gears.
  4. This is the one I am most worried about... Every 450 miles or so the gas suddenly cuts out for no reason. It is very brief, but every time it happens it scares the living crap out of me. It is like the car hiccups and acceleration stops completely and then works again. The only thing I can compare it to is like having the limiter go on for a second and then go off again. It is very rare, but seems to be at around the same amount of miles (~450) every time it happens. For this reason I can't help but think it is an ECU issue of some sort.
  5. I don't know about other Exige S 240 owners, but after the break-in oil change, I tested out the 0-60 (and continue to do so :evil:), this thing seems like it is faster than the 4 seconds Lotus advertises...

Some of these issues I was already aware of and am not concerned about from previously having owned a 2005 Elise. I do want to hear what other people do, or have done to perhaps solve some of the issues (if they are solvable). Or, in some cases, would like to see if other people are having the same issue occur occasionally (such as the gas cutting out every so often).

That being said, I absolutely love this car! I wouldn't have traded in the Elise for the Exige if the niggles weren't far outweighed by the sheer joy of driving this car... I am really really psyched about the differences in seat comfort between the 2005 Elise and 2008 Exige S 240. With the Swedish Memory Foam, my back never hurts during long drives anymore.

I considered the conversion kit at one point, but after driving it for a few weeks now, I wouldn't dream of taking the top off. I had an Elise already, and drove it for three summers with the top off. It gets too hot with the top off IMO, I would rather leave the top on and use AC.

I am interested in knowing what modifications are out there to enhance/improve the car's speed, bottom and/or top end. I probably will never put any in, but I would love to know what I could do at some point if I choose to improve the acceleration.

If I could improve two things in a future incarnation of this car, they would be the following:
  1. Add a good formula shifting kit so I can paddle shift and not have to deal with the clunky shifting issues. Skip Barber's Advanced Racing school cars manage to fit one in their F1s, so I don't see why it can't be done on the Exige. Screw the trunk, some of us don't really need one... Make the F1 paddle shifting an option for people who don't mind not having a trunk, that way people who do want a trunk can use the old school shifter. -poke-
  2. Break your own engines in... :thwack:

BTW, I don't mind breaking-in the engine, but the F1 Paddle shifting would really bring this car to an all new level IMO. Plus, it would increase the low end acceleration quite a bit I would imagine...

Here are some pics I took at a rest stop between Columbus Ohio and New York (in Pennsylvania to be exact):

·
Registered
42 Posts
this is a bit ot

I see that you were in Columbus, so I'm assuming you purchased the car at MAG. How were you treated? Would you recommend them again? etc...

I am in the Columbus area and notice they don't have a great selection of cars on hand, so I was planning on going out of Ohio to purchase a car. However, I might stop in and talk to them if they treated you well.

Awesome car you have there:nanner2:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap, if they added a paddle shifter, I would buy a new one already next year, rather than waiting 3 or 4 years between trade-ins...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: #4... did u ask the dealer this question? Just wondering why u'd ask the LT forum before the dealer, or if u did ask the dealer, what did they say? I'm interested in the their response!

thanks.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
sector111 had a sequential shifter you could install.... not f1 by any means but if you really hate the stock shifter, it's an option

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is a bit ot

I see that you were in Columbus, so I'm assuming you purchased the car at MAG. How were you treated? Would you recommend them again? etc...

I am in the Columbus area and notice they don't have a great selection of cars on hand, so I was planning on going out of Ohio to purchase a car. However, I might stop in and talk to them if they treated you well.

Awesome car you have there:nanner2:
The secretary was nice. The MAG representative basically just handed me the keys and opened the showroom door so I could drive the car out... He wasn't talkative, and he didn't smile. He did warn me about being careful leaving their car lot, since the road dipped down a bit causing the car to bottom out if not done slowly, and he gave me directions back to the highway. I wouldn't say he was unfriendly, but I wouldn't say he was cordial.

I actually bought the car in Watertown, CT from Valenti Motors. I only picked it up in Columbus, OH. It was that, or wait a few months to order a new one and get it right off the boat. So, I didn't expect any special treatment from the MAG representative, and I was likely distracting him from other things he needed to get done. I wasn't his customer after all, and they weren't making money off my business...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: #4... did u ask the dealer this question? Just wondering why u'd ask the LT forum before the dealer, or if u did ask the dealer, what did they say? I'm interested in the their response!

thanks.
They are waiting for an upgrade to their ECU reader to read the ECUs on the new models. Until then, they can't analyze the system for possible errors...

·
Registered
992 Posts
They are waiting for an upgrade to their ECU reader to read the ECUs on the new models. Until then, they can't analyze the system for possible errors...
figgered it had to be something like that! thx! good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
figgered it had to be something like that! thx! good luck!
They didn't realize that the connection setup changed between the old Exige and the new one. They have it on order.

Nice guitars BTW. I own a Brian Moore also (w/ the RMC pickup)! Also, a Gibson LE 1988 and a Steve Vai floral pattern Gem (the pink floral pattern one).

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
my elise had same throttle issue, they reflashed my ECU and it took care of it.

Redline MT-90 for your tranny....plenty of threads on this to improve shifting...bigtime.

·
Registered
992 Posts
They didn't realize that the connection setup changed between the old Exige and the new one. They have it on order.

Nice guitars BTW. I own a Brian Moore also (w/ the RMC pickup)! Also, a Gibson LE 1988 and a Steve Vai floral pattern Gem (the pink floral pattern one).
Interesting. most guitarists havent seen a B Moore. The C-90 is an extremely versatile instrument. And the Chameleon turns a lot of heads. Usually a girl will come up to me after/during a gig and ask me what color is my guitar "really" bc it keeps "changing".

Whats an LE?

Pink axe? nice. I think i'd play that during our Queen/Pet Shop Boys/Scissor Sisters set... rotfl

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats an LE?

Pink axe? nice. I think i'd play that during our Queen/Pet Shop Boys/Scissor Sisters set... rotfl
LE = Limited Edition

Pink floral as in, it has the pink flower pattern from his drapes:

I have one of the originals from 1988.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I saw your car in the show room when i had my 240 in for 1k service. I had a check engine light literally come on as I entered the MAG parking lot for that 1k service. So when they told me no scanner I was a bit upset as I had scheduled in advance.

The 240 has its own set of lotusoddities...
Im sure others have posted also but here are a few for ya.

Key Fab-
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/240s-keys-alarm-50670/

Instrumentation panel stays on after key is out of ignition with all lights off, then car won't start. Fix is unplug battery wait a few minutes plug back in.

Going from 2nd into 3rd is very notchy especially when cold but gets better when warm but still notchy. Many have complained about this actually over the past few years so who knows.

The S stalling issue that seems to not have been fixed with the 240. Car will randomly stall on small inclines when clutch is in or when at stop lights or pulling into parking spots. (mine was getting fairly bad but now has stopped... more on that)

That check engine light after two weeks of sitting randomly went off last week when I started it just on a chance it magically would fix itself and it did. So since then no more stalling... not sure what that means or what caused it.

So since they didn't have the scan tool and you had 1k service done are you off the hook? I keep thinking in the back of my head its going to be an issue to really drive it now since they didn't really do the dump.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
#4 It'll do that during "spirited" driving if you're low on petrol- It's happened to me, but only on the track-

1 - 20 of 36 Posts