The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still seems the "proper" break in on this car is a bit vague

obviously im not going to launch it or do anything stupid and wreckless - but what is safe and what is not? i heard there was some RPM monitoring when you bring it into the 1k service - can i not ever go past 5k? for those 1000 miles? can i floor it a few times after she's warmed up to see what it's all about?

obviously 2 + years of waiting and i hate the idea of grandma driving all the time even if its only 1k miles - can i have a little bit of fun?

·
Registered
758 Posts
How can you not know ?! I'm at least a year off and have the manual printed an stuck to my pinboard :D

It says for 600miles, keep it below 4500RPM with occasional short bursts at a higher throttle. The first service is at 1000miles.

·
Registered
786 Posts
agent o

What did you do for insurance my car will be here next month and I don't know if I want to go with one of these collector car insurances with the 5K mileage limit or regular old allstate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
using Chub - my mother is very sucessful in the biz. world and we have to be very careful with insurance to protect the "estate" or however you want to say that

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Insurance I went with Geico.

The "short bursts" to me meant I could take it up past 8000rpm for a very short period. Which makes sense to me since you are trying to break in the engine for what it will actually see later.

I was more careful before the first 600 miles to both vary the rpms and also to spend 98% of the time under 6000rpm. After 600 miles, I was not as careful about varying the rpms... I would shift every 10-15 minutes on the freeway to change from 3500-4500 for example. I was also less worried about time spent on the cams... and exercised the cams on every onramp. Which is still not a lot of time.

The ECU print out reflected those times I was over 8000rpm and the technician said that was okay.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Chubb is a good company , prem. ?, I was thinking that the car has a high rating group 20 or somthing like that and that drives up the premiums,

good luck on the car, gettin anxious, mine is being built this week should have my vin soon, they say four week from build to east coast.

Rev it till it makes you happy, your will be careful everybody is with a new car, then after the excitement wears of you can see what it can do.

good luck

·
Registered
786 Posts
rpm / power band

Randy

you have had the car for a while, is it difficult to keep the car in the power band, on an auto cross track, what about in second to third shifts, must take some getting used to, my boxster became natural for me after about two autocrosses, but the elise from what I have read has a much peaker torque curve.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Insurance I went with Geico.
Shame on you for supporting Geico.:no: :)p )

I actually surprised that Geico would even accept a Lotus to insure...

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
TimMullen said:
Shame on you for supporting Geico.:no: :)p )

I actually surprised that Geico would even accept a Lotus to insure...
Yeah.. but I was desperate. I was operating under an incorrect assumption. My company (AAA) like most will cover a new car you buy until the paperwork is completed, I think they give you a 30 day grace window.

But my wife pointed out that I did not buy my car... the corporation did. Which means that I was driving a car..and had driven the car across country...with zero insurance. :eek: So I shopped around. AAA quoted me aorund $1100 a year. Grundy and Hagerty told me they would not insure the Elise (though some people have had better luck with them). Geico was cheap and painless.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: rpm / power band

MitchT said:
Randy
you have had the car for a while, is it difficult to keep the car in the power band, on an auto cross track, what about in second to third shifts, must take some getting used to, my boxster became natural for me after about two autocrosses, but the elise from what I have read has a much peaker torque curve.
The last event, we were rev limiting in 2nd for a pretty long time because we felt we lost too much power shifting to 3rd.

It becomes course dependant. I am not a fan of downshifting EVER to 1st gear and rarely do it. It has to be a horrible course for me to think about doing that. So almost all of your autocrossing is in 2nd gear. Some below the cam change over, some above. The ratio depends on the course layout.

Two events. First event on a tight course, we barely were in the power band. Maybe 10% of the time. Second course was more wide open and we were rev limiting. I think we were in the power band about 30-50% of time.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Yeah.. but I was desperate. I was operating under an incorrect assumption. My company (AAA) like most will cover a new car you buy until the paperwork is completed, I think they give you a 30 day grace window.

But my wife pointed out that I did not buy my car... the corporation did. Which means that I was driving a car..and had driven the car across country...with zero insurance. :eek: So I shopped around. AAA quoted me aorund $1100 a year. Grundy and Hagerty told me they would not insure the Elise (though some people have had better luck with them). Geico was cheap and painless.
I'm not sure why that would matter - whether or not my company buys the Elise or I personally buy it, Farmer's will still give me a 30-day window on insuring it. My agent said that he'd just appreciate that I call him when i'm heading to TX to pick it up, that's all.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The "short bursts" to me meant I could take it up past 8000rpm for a very short period. Which makes sense to me since you are trying to break in the engine for what it will actually see later.

I was more careful before the first 600 miles to both vary the rpms and also to spend 98% of the time under 6000rpm. After 600 miles, I was not as careful about varying the rpms... I would shift every 10-15 minutes on the freeway to change from 3500-4500 for example. I was also less worried about time spent on the cams... and exercised the cams on every onramp. Which is still not a lot of time.

The ECU print out reflected those times I was over 8000rpm and the technician said that was okay.
Hmmm...I have the data dump from the ECU from the after sales service. The highest bracket that it records is from 7000 - 7500+ rpms. So....7001 rpms or 8600 rpms, it all gets grouped together. Of course, if you see a high percentage of the total engine life at high rpms, that would indicate that you beat on your car. The ECU also records the last 5 max rpms. So a hypothetical situation is where you abuse the engine by flooring it (after the oil warmed up because the ECU will not let you go above 6000 rpms until it's warmed up) say as soon as you get the car and repeatedly do this making sure you don't hit the rev limiter. Say you do this for the first 300 miles. Then from mile 301 - 1000, you drive it like a grandma so that in terms of percentage of total running time, your throttle open brackets and engine rpm brackets show a high weight towards the low end. Then...right before you turn the car in for it's first service, you run it up to redline 5 times; thus clearing the previous last 5 highest readings... It' not a perfect system.

In terms of what the manual says, you are not to use greater than 1/2 throttle opening before 600 miles. You are not rev limited, though you probably should not push it much past 8k rpms. After 600 miles, you are free to use full throttle. So...I would pick up the car, don't let it idle, and start driving it easy until it's fully warmed up and then just drive using no more than 1/2 throttle. Out of toll plazas, etc, you can use 1/2 throttle and let the revs climb to 8k rpms from time to time to excercise everything.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I read short bursts and occasional to mean that once or twice per run I could get into the V V. No problem upon download, and no word that it's an issue. My checkup was in mid-August.

Randy-I found my times really improved by downshifting to 1st coming out of the crossover sections on a big figure 8. Being able to accelerate quickly through those long straights on the course helped me keep up with the Vettes in the same sections. I would shift into 2nd halfway through them and back to first coming out of the tight turns. I don't feel like I lost any time because I was braking and turning anyway.

When I left it in 2nd the whole way, I got that slow mooooaaaaa until I hit V V in 2nd, near the very end of the straight. Am I missing something? I'm not very good yet.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Surferjer said:

When I left it in 2nd the whole way, I got that slow mooooaaaaa until I hit V V in 2nd, near the very end of the straight. Am I missing something? I'm not very good yet.
NO.. you are not missing anything. I just hate shifting into 1st.

I might have to start doing it.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
ace3 said:
I'm not sure why that would matter - whether or not my company buys the Elise or I personally buy it, Farmer's will still give me a 30-day window on insuring it. My agent said that he'd just appreciate that I call him when i'm heading to TX to pick it up, that's all.
Keep in mind that I am not the corporation. It bought the car. You could be right... I might have been covered. I originally assumed I was. But I was left with enough doubt that I became very concerned.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Keep in mind that I am not the corporation. It bought the car. You could be right... I might have been covered. I originally assumed I was. But I was left with enough doubt that I became very concerned.
Agreed - it would only take someone to say "you know, i'm not quite sure if you're covered" to make me think about doing something different. ;)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Thanks, Randy. I think downshifting in a straight is a big no-no. All the top guns here have told me that, and I'm sure they are correct. Once I got shifting down in the corners mastered, it really, really helped because the acceleration was soooooo much stronger. I can't wait for my next go in 10 days. Seat time Seat time Seat time Seat time. Stan is right-there's no substitute.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
agent orange said:
so randy - did you wait 600 miles to really punch it full throttle?
Nope. I was on the cams at the Tail of the Dragon. Just for very short periods of time. I really am not a big believer in the babying school of engine break in. I am not 100% sure of my position either... but I lean towards a more "drive it like you will be driving it" philosophy, keeping in mind the warranty and understanding that in general to be more gentle. I did not redline it.... nor did I spend a lot of time at full throttle or on the cams. It was very brief as was recorded by the ECU.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts