The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We get the question of which brake pad is the best for the car; Elise, Exige, Evora, track, street, mixed use, race only, etc, etc. The subject is debatable and the answer for me has changed over the years.

As we have acquired more and more experience with dozens and dozens of street and track/race builds, we have developed what I would call the brake pad secret sauce recipe.

You don't need a lot of options, you just need to know what rules to not break when braking! :D

Here's a link to our take on brake pads.

Stop! Brake Pads @ BOEFAB Tech

Cheers,

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I really like the Ferodo DS2500 in your article for the reasons mentioned. It is a nice upgrade from the OEM pads and things like Porterfields, yet street friendly. For my naturally aspirated car on R888, it even does pretty decently at the track.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the Ferodo DS2500 in your article for the reasons mentioned. It is a nice upgrade from the OEM pads and things like Porterfields, yet street friendly. For my naturally aspirated car on R888, it even does pretty decently at the track.
Thanks.

Yes, the DS2500 has been accused as being the perfect brake pad more than once. Obviously not a race pad or for dedicated track cars, but for street or mixed use, it's hard to beat.

I've never thought it made sense to carry parts we don't believe in or like. So rather than carry every pad on the market, we just carry the ones that really work great.

-Phil

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for this.

I also liked reading the header shootout and the oil filter breakdown.

Maybe something on tires would be helpful. Street vs Street/Track vs Track.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this.

I also liked reading the header shootout and the oil filter breakdown.

Maybe something on tires would be helpful. Street vs Street/Track vs Track.
Glad we could help.

Certainly have some opinions on tires :up: We'll work on that!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have been running Cobalts on my Exige (hardly ever driven on street) since 2010. They are rarely if ever mentioned on the forums and when I told track folks to give them a try I would always get crazy eye look. Anyway, I love them!

For those that have AP Brake calipers in front (OEM on 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240, etc) you want:
Cobalt AP9 - AP Racing CP7600D46 - 14.5mm

Phil do you offer the pads for the cars with APs?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been running Cobalts on my Exige (hardly ever driven on street) since 2010. They are rarely if ever mentioned on the forums and when I told track folks to give them a try I would always get crazy eye look. Anyway, I love them!

For those that have AP Brake calipers in front (OEM on 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240, etc) you want:
Cobalt AP9 - AP Racing CP7600D46 - 14.5mm

Phil do you offer the pads for the cars with APs?
Hi Eric,

Good catch! missed that on the website! Yes, we do have the pads for the 4 pot APs on the S240, cup cars, etc... Website just updated accordingly.

Thanks!

Phil

·
Registered
237 Posts
One nit to pick,

You state that ALL Carbotechs are not suitable for street use.
1521 is specifically designed for the street and should NOT be used on the track.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One nit to pick,

You state that ALL Carbotechs are not suitable for street use.
1521 is specifically designed for the street and should NOT be used on the track.
Indeed. It was on my list to update. There is a bit of rare bird of a pad for C-tech that is a designated street pad. I say rare bird, because we don't see it often. I'd take the DS2500 over that pad. The DS2500 is a pretty epic street/track pad... easier bed in as well... I updated the tutorial :up:

Cheers,

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts