The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't end up going with the F4i. The more I thought about it, the less sense it made for me to get a brand new bike. A friend of a friend had a CBR600F3 in good condition besides a few scratches on the fairings from being dropped a long time ago by the first owner. I'm figuring I'll probably drop the bike eventually anyway, so I don't mind the scratches. He brought it back home yesterday after I rode it because he wanted to clean it up for me before I took it (he had ridden it in the rain over the past few days).

Riding it required a lot less effort than other bikes I've ridden. Acceleration was more than enough for me, handling was good, and the height of the seat is perfect.

I'll post pictures as soon as I have time after I get it home :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a fun bike.

The only time I have dropped mine was by my own hand in the garage. A few pre-owned scratches on it would have made that pill easier to swallow.

Specifically, I've learned to:
- Make sure the kickstand hasn't shifted when you move the bike around.

- Don't shove the new front wheel back into the forks when the bike is precariously resting on a jack and likely to tip.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
took me forever to get used to the spring loaded kickstand on the ducs. You have to keep the stand pushed forward in engaged position using your foot then lower the bike. My 996 fell over one time because of it,
Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
Great! Have fun and ride safe

Watch out for uneven surfaces (cobblestones and shoulders) when you're parking. That's the way I've dropped mine

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
took me forever to get used to the spring loaded kickstand on the ducs.Chris
I HATED those spring loaded side stands. I was always afraid that someone would come by, sit on my bike, and tip it over because they didn't know about the side stand. I'd get back and find it on its side. Because of that, I had an ugly yellow rope tied around the side stand to the front tire -just in case.

MIKEAR303, congratulations! :clap: One philosophy that's helped me ride all this years is the idea of "0 errors." Something I strive for because an error can be very costly. Motorcycle, like many other things, is as much mental as it is physical.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congrats on the F3! It's a great bike. It's easier to ride than the F4i also. (The seat is softer and the seat height is about a 1/2 inch lower than the F4i.)

Ride safe, be alert, watch out for cell-phone toting motorists, and have fun!

Bob

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to DGY motorsports down the street from work to pick up leathers, gloves, and a helmet after work today.

I'll definitely see if they have the vanson perforated leathers as I probably won't be using my bike in the winter.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mike,
If they don't carry Vanson be willing to spend $400 or so for decent two piece leathers, but you'll be better going with the vansons even if you have to order.

Problem with the cheaper leather is the dye tends to run when they get rained on. I've been wearing the same vanson for 6 odd years now.

Gloves, I highly recommend Helds, made of kangaroo skin with rivets in all the places for sliding. exc if pricey.

Also. don't skimp on a helmet, make sure to get one that's dot AND Snell approved. probably run you $250-400. I like Soumy and ARAI, Shoei is also exc. Note: you can get a cheaper helmet like an HJC, but these are not as well insulated and wind noise can get tiresome.

Congrats

Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
My 996 fell over one time because of it,
Chris
Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it. I've converted all my Duck's as soon as I got them to a regular stand from the suicide stand.

Mike, Chris has excellent recommendations about helmets, you either have an Arai head or a Shoei head. Outside arai/shoei/suomy I probably wouldn't consider anything else. They might be expensive but still cheaper than a CT scan.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I have GP Stars gloves with the Carbon Fiber knuckles. Very cool to look at but what happens to all that CF when you crash? Nasty splinters? I recommend some nice gloves that are solid leather with no fancy slider/thingamajigs/CF knuckles....

I replaced my 8 yr old Shoei with an Arai. What a difference. Remember, if you have a $100 head buy a $100 helmet.

Congrats on your bike. It's a nice one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts