The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not that fast?!? Heck, he completely destroyed the driver's tub! He's lucky to still have legs!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Okay so I guess that answers my question on an earlier thread ? Lillie was this the Ferrari test driver ?

Oops never mind I just checked that link and no, this was a '99 F1 car, the Ferrari driver was successful, apparently, in breaking the lap record in a 2003 F1 car.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No he was not succesful. He was about 2 seconds short of the lap record.

Ferrari shines, but misses Laguna Seca mark

By DAVID COFFIN

Herald Correspondent

The fastest cars around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca remain those from the Champ Car World Series.

Though nothing was official, Ferrari factory test driver Andrea Bertolini chased after the Laguna Seca track record Sunday in a Formula One exhibition on the final day of the 31st Monterey Historic Automobile Races, but he came up about 1.4 seconds short.

Bertolini was piloting a Michael Schumacher world championship Ferrari as the nation's premier vintage event celebrated the Italian automaker this year. In his final laps on the 2.238-mile, 11-turn Laguna Seca circuit, Bertolini's fastest lap was a one minute, 9.1 seconds and change, a bit above 116 mph.

In 1999, Helio Castroneves, driving for Marlboro Team Penske, established the Laguna Seca record at 1:07.722 or 118.969 mph. For now, that record is safe. However, the Champ Cars are coming Sept. 10-12 featuring a red-hot Sebastien Bourdais, who shattered the track record this weekend in Denver.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
DUDE! WHERE'S MY CAR?

rotfl

(I'm assuming from past experince that, sadly, I will be the only person that finds that funny) ;)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
From my knowledge of how champ cars are built, I would have thought that the entire driver survival cell was made of a one piece carbon fiber monocoque. At the very least, this is my recollection of how such cars are built. The pictures seem to show an attachment point. Perhaps they now build them differently.

- J

PS: As an aside, how much safety consideration goes into desgning an F1 car versus a champ car? We hear lots about the safety aspect of champ cars, presumably because of the frequency of collision on oval tracks. Remember Ralphie's car at Indy? It seemed to my casual eye, less suited for collisions on ovals.

·
Registered
274 Posts
From my knowledge of how champ cars are built, I would have thought that the entire driver survival cell was made of a one piece carbon fiber monocoque. At the very least, this is my recollection of how such cars are built. The pictures seem to show an attachment point. Perhaps they now build them differently.
Just for clarification, this was an F1 car, not a Champ car as quoted; F1 does not race on ovals.

F1 car design is completely different from anything else out there and extremely proprietary. There are vague similarities with Champ cars in overall shape and some materials, but that's about it.

F1 cars seem to have an attachment point where this particular example failed. I beleive that it helps during replacement of parts after accidents and I have seen them replace the entire nose cone when a wing is ripped off too.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
AutoXr said:
Just for clarification, this was an F1 car, not a Champ car as quoted; F1 does not race on ovals.
Yes, I know. ;)

However, Ralphie did crash on the oval section of the USGP, thus the comparison. I am suggesting that perhaps the 2003 cars are built differently than the 1999 car. See my PS.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The movie 'Super Speedway' (Imax) had a nice segment showing the survival cells designed into the Champ cars - it's one single piece surrouding the drivers. I know F1 has a safety review board (I think I heard that Williams had to have their new nose approved before this latest race), but I'm not sure how much influence and control they have. I would like to think that driver safety is a priority, but seeing that Ferrari makes me wonder. Still, a lot can change in 4 years.

·
Registered
592 Posts
When I see this failure I just have to think something is not right. F1 cars have been crashed tested for many years, I am betting this car design was crash tested. I believe Shumacher's broken leg was do to a suspension piece or some other "unlucky" type event penetrating the monocoque. Maybe the car was previously repaired? I cant believe a modern F1 car would fail lke that without some root cause.

That is some lucky driver. Back in the 70's this type of event was not that uncommon when the drivers feet were in front of the front wheel centerline for wieght distribution. There are a lot of old race car drivers, F! and Indy cars that hobble around because of this. Fortunately they have dramatically improved the cars to these types of accidents.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts