The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 05 and had it shipped to me. Looked at the typical recommended shippers (Fedex, Intercity, Horseless Carriage, etc.) and ultimately went with Fedex / Passport.

HOLY ****, did this guy scare me. He crawls into the car and releases the emergency back and slowly let the car roll to the edge - and I mean the EDGE - of the ramp. I couldn't believe he did it that way. He didn't block the wheels, he had no real backup if something went wrong. He then (via remote control) lowered the ramp while still in it. It was frickin insane. My wife only snapped this one picture because she couldn't stand to watch it. Fortunately, everything was fine, but I can think of 100 ways this could have gone bad. Not exactly the 'white glove' service that I was promised. Not venting, but thought I'd share.

unloading.jpg

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Looks to me like the tires are 3 feet from the edge. Am I missing something?
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is here, other then an anxious, new daddy. Congrats on the car!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Not to draw this out, but how else would you do it? Sitting in the car is the safest way to move the car, even though it may not appear that way from the outside. But your feet on the brake, hands on the wheel is definitely the way to go. I'm certain I could take the car out that way, and this guy has probably done it 1000 times. As for blocking, etc, what do you expect to go wrong? The brakes to fail? I park on steep hills nearly every day, WAY steeper than that ramp, and I never block the car. I could be missing something here, so if I am, I apologize, but again not sure what the big deal was.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think the pic was taken before the car was all the way at the edge :shrug:
I guess the picture's a little deceptive. Yes, 3 feet away from the edge of the ramp, but 3 inches away from where the ramp starts to slope down. Looking at the picture again, I can see that's not obvious. It looked much worse in person ... especially when it first came out and was 10 feet off the ground (it's nearly the whole way down in the pic) and rolling towards the edge with nothing to stop it. Sure, the brakes were not likely to fail, but I would have thought that a $10 pair of chocks would have been a wise investment at that point. But Serebo1's right, mostly me being anxious.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From the angle of the photo it doesn't look like there is much room to the rear of the platform. Imagine how small that platform must get with some old Detroit iron on it. I'll bet the driver was well within his comfort zone with your Elise. Which btw is a very nice looking machine.

Reminds me of when I worked at a dealership. It's amazing how quickly the transport drivers load and unload their trucks. They must get close to thirty miles an hour on those rickety ramps.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I feel for ya...I was pretty freaked out about delivery of my M6...

Here is some video for fun...

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i157.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid157.photobucket.com/albums/t53/plastique999/M6/MOV01577.flv">

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just be glad your Lotus wasnt on the bottom BELOW that Trans Am! That thing would have surely dropped at least a pint of oil all over your baby!!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Normal process. This thread has photos of my car being unloaded - the first one off the truck of the shipment to Criswell. Done the same way (except backward). The photos start in post number 104 - it was an exciting time for people as most of us had been on a waiting list for a long, long time, and this meant that they we finally starting to arrive at the dealers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts