The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Footwell

NevB,

I have been posting on another thread regarding pedal spacing. I have large feet and found that the show car I sat in didn't allow enough space between the brake and center brace for my foot to reach the gas. I exchanged email with development manager Nick Adams about this. Here was one of his suggestions:

"Alternatively it may be possible to fit a RHD divider from a European 111R, which is lower and should offer more space although passengers would have to be told to control their feet! Your dealer should be able to get this part for you as a special order, the part number is A116A0147F. "

I saw the picture of your footwell in this thread, and was hoping you could do me a HUGE favor. Any chance you could measure the height of the divider? I hope to test drive the demo in Atlanta in another month or two, and would like to know whether I should give up on my dream car.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Houston!......I mean San Diego......We
have a problem! Over 4.5 won't compute.
Need mid-course correction plan that can
assist proper fitment.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Re: Footwell

scmcclure said:
NevB,

I have been posting on another thread regarding pedal spacing. I have large feet and found that the show car I sat in didn't allow enough space between the brake and center brace for my foot to reach the gas. I exchanged email with development manager Nick Adams about this. Here was one of his suggestions:

"Alternatively it may be possible to fit a RHD divider from a European 111R, which is lower and should offer more space although passengers would have to be told to control their feet! Your dealer should be able to get this part for you as a special order, the part number is A116A0147F. "

I saw the picture of your footwell in this thread, and was hoping you could do me a HUGE favor. Any chance you could measure the height of the divider? I hope to test drive the demo in Atlanta in another month or two, and would like to know whether I should give up on my dream car.

Hi scmcclure ,

Hope this diagram helps:

<6cm>
------
I......\
I.......\
I........\
I.........\
----------
< 10cm >

Cheers

Nev

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
2nd attempt

<6cm>
------
I......\.............................O
I.......\............................II
I........\ -------------------II-----
I.........\
---------- -----------------------------
< 10cm >

The wedge at the pedals is 6cm deep at the top of the toe, and 10cm at the base of the heel. The gear stick is another 50cm [guess] down the centre console

·
Registered
18 Posts
You lost me. I was trying to find the height of the center divider. On your car this would separate the passenger's feet from the clutch or dead pedal. I wasn't sure what you were measuring from the "heal" or "toe."

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just measured mine - it's about 10cm - 11cm high so your foot should be able to slide across the top. I have size 11s and wear wide leather soled shoes to work and don't have any problems although obviously my car is RHD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks! I just did the cm-in conversion and your footwell divider is roughly the height of my coffee mug. Should have no trouble maneuvering over that!

Do you have any pictures of your RHD footwell similar to this one from a LHD Elise?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's for safety. The danger is that on the LHD the passenger's feet may hit the gas. On the RHD their feet would hit the dead pedal or possibly the clutch. Not as big a deal.

I don't know if this is required per US regulations or just common practice on LHD models. It seems like I've been in many front-wheel-drive cars that have nothing between the passenger's feet and the gas pedal, but I honestly can't remember. Our 82 Dodge Aries K comes to mind. With front-wheel-drive, a front bench seat, and the transmission on the steering column, I can't imagine there was any barrier there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
scmcclure said:
It seems like I've been in many front-wheel-drive cars that have nothing between the passenger's feet and the gas pedal, but I honestly can't remember.
But even if they did not have a barrier, I have never been in a car where the passenger and driver sit so close together!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Nev or anyone else in Oz::

Have you take off the rear diffuser to see where the oil filter is located? Is it easily accessible for changing or go you need to wiggle around and have trouble getting to it.

Also is the airfilter the standard Celica one. I was thinking about getting a K&N filter, but dont know if Lotus changed it to one of their own design.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You have to take of the aluminium panels on the bottom of the car in front of the diffuser (underneath the engine) to gain access to sump to drain the oil and get access to the filter.

You don't have to take the diffuser off.

The airfilter is at the left hand front of the engine. It is a disposable folded paper type. Not sure if it's the same on the Celica but I doubt it. For access to it you need to remove the left hand back wheel and the wheel arch liner.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
scmcclure said:
Older cars with a front bench seat put the middle passenger right on top of the driver.
The same thing happened on dates without a middle passenger. :D ;)

61 - 80 of 95 Posts