The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good pictures for those who have kids. Scroll down to post 3. Also, his child's car seat is rather large.

Board Message

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here you go. Some of the pictures were originally small on the Evora forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
They fit without being squashed - major achievement over cars like the DB9 and XK8 (suitable for legless individuals only!) - and lets face it, its not a limo :)

I'm looking at the girl with pink pants... if she is any bigger and it's going to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'll bet those pics are taken with the driver's seat slid forward.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
And what difference would that make aside from lowering her seating position? :huh:
lower and move back - have a close look at that booster
You seem easily impressed. :p :p
And you seem quick to find fault :p - seriously have you looked at the back seat room of other 2+2s like the DB9 and XK8?
Really, is this going to be our complaint now, that the back seat isn't big enough in a Lotus?:wallbang:
Well put :):clap:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'll bet those pics are taken with the driver's seat slid forward.
Flickr link to more pictures Lotus Evora at Bell & Colvill - a set on Flickr

Here's what the father posted:
My 3- and 7-year olds happily sat in the back for 30 mins or so while I chatted to Rob Savin about the various child seat manufacturers who are currently accrediting their seats for the Evora. Some will even trim the seat to match the Evora's interior leather.

With the drivers seat set for the right driving position for me (I'm 5'8") and a comfy passenger seat setting, my two were fine on leg room, head room and had a decent view out of the side windows:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, I've been really critical about the Evora in terms of it being over priced (at $70K) for the power to weight it offers. Also, at some angles the Evora looks like it has a sagging ass. However, I have to give Kudos to Lotus for the 2+2 option. I mean, how many 2+2 mid engines cars can you buy in the near future? In this thread we compared the Evora to the DB9, XK8, and Mini but those, in are both front engine cars.

The good this is that the 2+2 is an option. If you don't want it, you can get a two seater option with less weight and less cost. But the 2+2 is a major appeal to me since the Evora is not going to be a family car and it gives me an option of bringing my family (as opposed to them following me in another car). And I'm sure any one of those high performance sports sedans would offer more comfort, power, and convenience but I really don't see myself going into the garage at 2 a.m. and ogling any sports sedan and that emotional appeal and the ability not of feel totally selfish is what draws me to the Evora. I don't need a 400 horsepower beat to take my family around but I would like a car that give me the option to take my family.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
They fit without being squashed - major achievement over cars like the DB9 and XK8 (suitable for legless individuals only!)
...the first time my SO and i sat in an XK, turned around, and looked at the back seats, we both instantly burst out laughing...

...two-plus-twos are definitely a proposition where you either get the point immediately or you don't get it at all - personally, i'd opt for a package shelf in lieu of seats...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think it's an accomplishment that they got a kids seat back there in the first place.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how well a small adult can fit back there. (for short hauls)
compared to my 300zx 2+2.

But this kinda reminds of of the time my dad stuck me and my brothers (ages 9, 7.and 2) in the back seat bench of his [email protected]# back in the 70's. now those were the days!

·
Registered
1 Posts
:wave:
Hi folks. Thought I'd drop by - those are my kids in the pictures and you had my picture of the whole family in an Evora here last September.

Just wanted to assure you that I'm not running PR for Lotus ;) I'm a Lotus enthusiast and Elan owner wrestling with the decision on buying an Evora, having followed Project Eagle since it started (and M250 before that).

Getting the kids in the back is an important issue for me and in the absence of Lotus info/pics I've done these experiments to reassure myself. Hopefully sharing the results helps others in similar circumstances reach a conclusion ... but do go try it out yourself if you get the chance.

UK child seat requirements are a bit complicated. The younger kids basically go in a full wrap-around seat that is either held by the seat belts or the child seat is of a type that engages with hard points on the car (Isofix). These wrap-around seats are bulky, to varying degrees depending on model, both under the kid's seat/legs and behind their back. You can see my 3-year old in a seat like this: fairly chunky as it's the one from my wife's Volvo XC90 (so not bought with space constraints in mind!) and it does bring littl'un up and forward. OK, she can't swing her legs to kick the front seat (and you call this a problem?!) but equally her legs aren't pinched - this with the passenger seat set so me at 5'8" can sit with legs fully extended. There are other less bulky child seats for this age group, so I'm OK with it.

When they get a bit older, they go onto a seat more like an "L" shape, less bulky and the part under the child's seat/legs and behind back is thinner, so they'd move an inch or two back, away from the front seat. There was space behind my 3-year old's legs, but the junior seat held behind her knee and prevented her using the space - that would be available on the mid age seat.

Older still and they go onto a booster, the "_" part of the "L", which is what my 7-year old is on in the pics. She's sat behind the driver's seat, which I'd adjusted to suit me at 5'8". Key to making it work was her having her feet flat on the floor under the front seat. Granted, if you are taller or your kids are bigger you'd probably want to go and try some experiments for yourself. But I'm happy that my kids will fit for several years yet. And it's not the main family car and they won't be in it every time it's driven. Probably before they've outgrown it they won't want to be seen out with their deeply uncool dad and his mid life crisis car anyway ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.