The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

Just had my birthday. My 15 year old twin boys share alot of my excitement for the Elise. Good testosterone genes past down, of course, makes the Elise for them a naturally exciting car to anticipate a cruise down the high school drag strip in our small town of 15,000. I often imagine what cool factor this car would have had when I was in high school.:p

Problem is todays high schoolers are pimping thier cars with all sorts of accessories that, well, cause you to:huh: :huh: :huh:

My boys saved up alot extra lawn mowing money this summer, and for my birthday bought me some blue LED under car lights for my Elise:eek: I'm not kidding!! They are sooooo excited:(

Advice on how to get out of this one:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Easy, no place under the car due to the difuser, if you mount them under the difuser it'll be too close to the ground and they'll break. It would be a waste of their precious intent and effort. Have them return it then all go out shopping for something for them. Get them an Xbox or something that they'd get a kick out of to repay their effort.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
rotfl

Explain the bottom on an Elise is special. That is why it's smooth and has wind channels and diffusers.

You can't mess up the handling by putting stuff that sticks out.

Ask then if it would be okay to trade it in on something else? And then get some cleaning supplies or a jack or something like a showercap or car cover.

Nice thought though.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
good answer, randy. i'd just tell them that good taste precludes putting ugly crap on a nice car- or any car for that matter. sometimes lessons on good taste must be learned

·
Registered
963 Posts
That's cool that they like the Elise. I'd be honest with them and tell them there are cars where that would work, and cars where it wouldn't. The Elise is a classic, not a Fast and Furious car. Tell them it's like putting them on any other exotic. You just don't do it. I'd just be up front with them. Of course, I have no kids, but that seems like the logical thing to do. Trade the lights back in and put the money on a Stage 2 exhaust. That will excite them. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your relationship with your kids is more important than a car. And its more important than how hard I'd laugh if I ever saw you with the lights on the car.

Anyone who knows you will be just as impressed that you would put them on for your kids, as they will be by the car.

Just suck it up, put it on for a while and mention something about the novelty wearing off when you get rid of them.

·
Registered
963 Posts
TripleBlack_NJ said:
Your relationship with your kids is more important than a car. And its more important than how hard I'd laugh if I ever saw you with the lights on the car.

Anyone who knows you will be just as impressed that you would put them on for your kids, as they will be by the car.

Just suck it up, put it on for a while and mention something about the novelty wearing off when you get rid of them.
I disagree, now is the time to teach them right from wrong. You don't tell them 2+
2=5 to make them feel better, do you? You want to make them cool car people. :clap:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
They're 15 years old. They can deal with the heartbreak of returning their lights.

I had a 19-year old girlfriend a few years ago who, for our 2-month anniversary :rolleyes: bought us matching decals for our cars - hers said "Colleen <3 Steve" and mine "Steve <3 Colleen". Needless to say we weren't together long. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice so far. Thanks.

Randy Chase said:
rotfl

Explain the bottom on an Elise is special. That is why it's smooth and has wind channels and diffusers.

You can't mess up the handling by putting stuff that sticks out.

Ask then if it would be okay to trade it in on something else?
They are REALLY excited about these lights. You should have seen the looks on thier face when I unwraped the present! Unfortunately though the suggestion of a substitute likely won't fly. They bought the lights through a friend, not returnable.

LotusLust said:
i'd just tell them that good taste precludes putting ugly crap on a nice car- or any car for that matter. sometimes lessons on good taste must be learned
It would really crush them to tell them "I'm not puttin that crap on my car", or say "Sons, its now time for a lesson on good taste". Although if I don't at least address thier pimping desires, I may get spinners for Christmas

TripleBlack_NJ said:

Excellent thought, TripleBlack. I, honestly didn't even think of the option of a least a short trial. It would mean alot to them to at least see it on the car....briefly.

I may have found an out. The side lights are 48 inches long, the front & back lights - 36 inches. Will these even fit on the diminutive elise?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
transio said:
I had a 19-year old girlfriend a few years ago who, for our 2-month anniversary :rolleyes: bought us matching decals for our cars - hers said "Colleen <3 Steve" and mine "Steve <3 Colleen". Needless to say we weren't together long. :)
Traniso you dog...did you put it on your car? Even for a little bit?rotfl

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
HOCKYDOC said:
HELP!

Just had my birthday. My 15 year old twin boys share alot of my excitement for the Elise. Good testosterone genes past down, of course, makes the Elise for them a naturally exciting car to anticipate a cruise down the high school drag strip in our small town of 15,000. I often imagine what cool factor this car would have had when I was in high school.:p

Problem is todays high schoolers are pimping thier cars with all sorts of accessories that, well, cause you to:huh: :huh: :huh:

My boys saved up alot extra lawn mowing money this summer, and for my birthday bought me some blue LED under car lights for my Elise:eek: I'm not kidding!! They are sooooo excited:(

Advice on how to get out of this one:rolleyes:
Your kids have a very well developed sense of humor. They probably said "let’s see if we can make the old man squirm" and bought those for you:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Patricko said:
did you put it on your car?
I never even LOOKED at it. She told me what she got me on the phone and I told her to take it back, that I wouldn't disgrace my car w/ it. Heh. I'm evil. :p

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
transio said:
I never even LOOKED at it. She told me what she got me on the phone and I told her to take it back, that I wouldn't disgrace my car w/ it. Heh. I'm evil. :p
Is that the same car that you used to make love to a telephone pole:eek: ;) :D

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Look at her eyes, she is the devil...close call Transio:eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
HOCKYDOC said:

Excellent thought, TripleBlack. I, honestly didn't even think of the option of a least a short trial. It would mean alot to them to at least see it on the car....briefly.

I may have found an out. The side lights are 48 inches long, the front & back lights - 36 inches. Will these even fit on the diminutive elise?
I don't know about fitment. I'm high on the list, but I ordered LSS so I still have to wait.

If you spend an afternoon trying to put them on and it honestly won't work things will probably be ok with your kids. (and a few days later mention it probably didn't fit your personality, otherwise they will think you are disappointed and buy you a set that fits)

Here is another out: Somehow install it with an on/off switch, hopefully it aready has one.

PS. beware of advise from people without kids.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts