The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for a thread like this and after 40 minutes could not locate one. I think if I keep the post non specific, yet succint, I wont get moderated. So in the interest of not getting flamed......... :pThis is a great forum. I have trolled and found an answer for each of my many questions about Lotus thus far. I am a former Corvette(x5), rx-7, MR2, MGB owner and very intrigued about my upcoming Elise Purchase.

I live in Floyds Knobs, IN(suburban Louisville, KY) there is not a dealer close to me. I originally steered my thinking towards finding a used car with substantial warranty because of my lack of familiarity with the brand. The geographical proximity alone makes this unsubstantiated. From what I can find, the majority of the problems are minor or cosmetic and nature and a mild gearhead can correct the majority with the aid of the info in this forum, a service manual, and some time. I profess to be a decent automotive problem solver and have had much experience wrenching. I am impressed with the reports of the durability of the drivetrain. Am I on the right track with my belief that I can own, maintain, and service this car without the aid of a nearby dealer?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I searched for a thread like this and after 40 minutes could not locate one. I think if I keep the post non specific, yet succint, I wont get moderated. So in the interest of not getting flamed......... :pThis is a great forum. I have trolled and found an answer for each of my many questions about Lotus thus far. I am a former Corvette(x5), rx-7, MR2, MGB owner and very intrigued about my upcoming Elise Purchase.

I live in Floyds Knobs, IN(suburban Louisville, KY) there is not a dealer close to me. I originally steered my thinking towards finding a used car with substantial warranty because of my lack of familiarity with the brand. The geographical proximity alone makes this unsubstantiated. From what I can find, the majority of the problems are minor or cosmetic and nature and a mild gearhead can correct the majority with the aid of the info in this forum, a service manual, and some time. I profess to be a decent automotive problem solver and have had much experience wrenching. I am impressed with the reports of the durability of the drivetrain. Am I on the right track with my belief that I can own, maintain, and service this car without the aid of a nearby dealer?
Well keep in mind that the Elise uses a Toyota engine. Not that many issues if any at all. Mostly loose bolts everywhere.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Am I on the right track with my belief that I can own, maintain, and service this car without the aid of a nearby dealer?
Yes. Except for dealer only things like mandatory services, ECU downloads.

I basically quit using our local dealer once a trusted mechanic left, and everything was done by myself or hired people. Car is really pretty simple to work on.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Biggest pain is the rear diffuser

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Biggest pain is the rear diffuser
I would have said that the engine undertray is the biggest pain. I rarely need to take the diffuser off. Which is fortunate, because I can't take it off. One of the two large bolts got cross-threaded and stripped. It's currently held in place by wishful thinking and loctite. If I back it out, then I really have to fix it and I don't own a tap and die set.

Short answer: The car is very easy to work on and mechanically very simple. I do all the work I can get done without a lift or a hoist. I need a new clutch, but haven't decided if I can tackle that one or not.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I think you deserve a big round of applause for searching for 40 minutes!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome. IMO, if you've had an MGB, an Elise is a no-brainer. Go for it! And I believe there are at least two members of the forum from Louisville.

I live in Floyds Knobs, IN
I think you deserve a big round of applause for announcing this!!!

rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Do we give him the ACE award? Where is Ace10? :shrug:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would have said that the engine undertray is the biggest pain. I rarely need to take the diffuser off. Which is fortunate, because I can't take it off. One of the two large bolts got cross-threaded and stripped. It's currently held in place by wishful thinking and loctite. If I back it out, then I really have to fix it and I don't own a tap and die set.

Short answer: The car is very easy to work on and mechanically very simple. I do all the work I can get done without a lift or a hoist. I need a new clutch, but haven't decided if I can tackle that one or not.
I have this issue as well. I discovered that it is not stripped at all. The threaded insert is spinning free in the cross member. I am able to reach into the cross member from the side with a pry bar to hold the threaded insert so it does not move. This allows me to take the bolt out. There is nothing to tap.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I have this issue as well. I discovered that it is not stripped at all. The threaded insert is spinning free in the cross member. I am able to reach into the cross member from the side with a pry bar to hold the threaded insert so it does not move. This allows me to take the bolt out. There is nothing to tap.
Well, the Loctite ought to make that an interesting experience if that is also Andy's problem. :(

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Well, the Loctite ought to make that an interesting experience if that is also Andy's problem. :(
Oh that's gonna be a barrel of laughs. :nanner:

Still, I don't think that's the issue. I've seen the threads, they're almost non-existent.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ace award is very nice. From the printed sarcasm that you guys spill and receive daily, I was hoping to get that award(sarcasm) for my post. Funny that you post b111. I laughed at your avatar for about 40 minutes today! Thanks for the searchable link and other info. The mandatory service intervals are something I need to consider.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
i was under the impression that the search criteria are retained. i was wrong.

go to search/advanced search. type main* in the key word field. change "find threads with" to 40 (or some other significant number), then in "search in forum(s) list" ctrl-click the two sub-fora i listed above in the .

use the force.
choose the red pill.
live long and prosper.
yadda yadda yadda.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts