The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. After two days of work I was able to remove the factory Alpine 505 junk pos and install the Pioneer AppRadio. First thing I have been doing radio installs for over 10 years and let me tell you it is not easy on this car for many reasons which I won't cover on this thread.

The radio looks like it was meant to be in this car. Honestly looks wise it matches the interior perfectly. As far as the radio itself its Awesome! If you have an iPhone this thing is really a dream. Highly recommended!

BTW while doing the install, most of the factory Alpine wiring was zip tied throughout the whole dash. I left the factory wiring intact since I don't like hack jobs when people mess with the cars original wiring. As far as wiring the Pioneer I tapped into the original harness without cutting it.

Attachments

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Looking Good. I love the pioneer stuff. My Evora came without the Tech package, so first thing was to replace the factory unit (what a pile of crap) :mad:
I went with the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. it has all the features of the standard headunits plus the AppRadio2 features.
I have found I really do not like the appradio. Seems very clunky. What has your experience been? The headunit is awesome with lots of connectivity adn a strong DAC.
Should have been obvious when I installed but the navigation does not work well unless you have your iPhone sitting out, but when I installed teh radio I ran all teh cable to the glove box. now if I want to use nav I have to let my phone hang out of the glove box.
O my unit many of the app features do not work unless the carparking brake is on. Not only does the parking brake have to be on you also have to touch the stadard brake twice, so a simple parking brake buypass will not work. I had no make a special switch to be able to use the "app mode" while driving.:mad:

my install
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/making-evora-better-you-decide-113909/

Like to hear more about your experience. Would also love to have a copy of you backround

looks great

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. The AppRadio 2 is way better than the original AppRadio. You can also modify the AppRadio so you can install the GPS software right onto the unit as well. If you have a Jailbroken iPhone there is also software that allows you to put the phone in the glovebox without having to Access the iPhone at all to do anything in car. It can also add the Sirii button as pictured. It is working awesome! Go to avic411.com to see more info on how to jailbreak the AppRadio. I can help you if you need help as well. Here is the background I created this morning:)

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, I did wire a simple switch hidden under the dash to the parking brake wire and then grounded it. I flip it once and I can access everyone while driving :)

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I came very close to doing this the first week we had the car. We are on the verge of seeing a huge improvement in convergence between our cars and devices.
Placement of the phone is a big issue. Need some way to have it linked to the car, charging, and be in the same place when its reached for. Having it in the glovebox, sitting on the seat, or dangling about are all absurd.
Needing to rig a switch or jailbreak to use the thing, although quite ingenious, is way unacceptible as well.

I want to put something like this in my dd as soon as they make them usable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The evora is my daily driver. Far as the switch. Its one button. I hit it if i want to watch video while driving. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The AppRadio 2 is way better than the original AppRadio. You can also modify the AppRadio so you can install the GPS software right onto the unit as well. If you have a Jailbroken iPhone there is also software that allows you to put the phone in the glovebox without having to Access the iPhone at all to do anything in car. It can also add the Sirii button as pictured. It is working awesome! Go to avic411.com to see more info on how to jailbreak the AppRadio. I can help you if you need help as well. Here is the background I created this morning:)
I love it, looks very cool. How did you get the Lotus logo and Evora name on the screen?
Ron

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love it, looks very cool. How did you get the Lotus logo and Evora name on the screen?
Ron
I was thinking the very same thing. Probably a push from iPhone camera roll. Very nice and looks like a definite upgrade from alpine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I created the image which I uploaded above and then copied to my iPhone. I can then select the image in the app radio app on my phone. Once you plug in your phone it copies it to the unit :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing I think that most people are losing out with having the Alpine unit is that its such a bad deck that it almost ruins the driving exp. Having everything integrated the right way really makes driving the car even more enjoyable. I felt crippled with POS Alpine.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I still like my Alpine. The only real way I'll upgrade is if I can get a nice headunit that displays car information ala Torque.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice background!!!!

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
The evora is my daily driver. Far as the switch. Its one button. I hit it if i want to watch video while driving. Not a big deal.
It's quite impressive what you have done, just saying the system shouldn't require such.

Where do you keep your phone? I'd like to have some sort of a docking station providing connection, charging, and physical stability. Right now (still have the regrettable Alpine) I park it under the armrest connected to charge cable on longer trips, in door recess on short trips. Bluetooth to connect, when it will. IPhone 4 or 4S will not connect via cable in glovebox "does not recognize this accessory", meaning the car :(

I'm sure I'll eventually have a similar deck, appreciate you "Pioneering" the issue:)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's quite impressive what you have done, just saying the system shouldn't require such.

Where do you keep your phone? I'd like to have some sort of a docking station providing connection, charging, and physical stability. Right now (still have the regrettable Alpine) I park it under the armrest connected to charge cable on longer trips, in door recess on short trips. Bluetooth to connect, when it will. IPhone 4 or 4S will not connect via cable in glovebox "does not recognize this accessory", meaning the car :(

I'm sure I'll eventually have a similar deck, appreciate you "Pioneering" the issue:)
I have the IPhone 4 S, I use the cable in the glove box. It charges the phone and works as a IPod as well. It also works with Bluetooth through the Alpine.This is with the stock Alpine in my 2011 2+0.
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I'm with Ron - I have had no issues hooking up either iPhone's or Androids Via BT or the cable. On the cable I can play mp3's like a memory stick from my Android and as an iPod on the iPhone. It is unfortunate that there are so many who are having issues because this unit (w900) works great for me and is very responsive.

Though with that ODB2 app I might be interested.

Any idea if it works with an aftermarket WB O2 sensor? I am planning on installing one soon.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
For those who are able to connect with the glovebox cable, where do you leave the phone? In the (very small) glovebox or hanging there by the cable? Or somewhere better?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
For those who are able to connect with the glovebox cable, where do you leave the phone? In the (very small) glovebox or hanging there by the cable? Or somewhere better?
I place my iPone in the small net in the glove box. Sometimes the plug disconnects from the phone when I move the phone after it is plugged in.
Ron

1 - 20 of 56 Posts