The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of you madmen/women is going to be the first to install this?

Pioneer 10.1 Inch Screen DMH-WT8600NEX

Tons of mounting options. Including the ability to shift left/right, up/down, and angle. The left/right might help with some of the challenges with the Alpine iLX-F309 with the steering wheel blocking the left side of the screen for the driver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the Alpine 9" a few weeks ago, went in great, doesn't block the vents, and is only marginally blocked by the steering wheel. I wouldn't go 10", you'd have a whale of a time getting it past the wiper stalk, and the extra size isn't even useful. 7" is probably the best size.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I did the Sony xav-av5000. The only issue I encountered was that I had to tweak the DIN "cage" a bit to get it to sit right, as it needed to be about 5mm forward of full flush. You really can't tell not that it's done, but just an FYI.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I tried the Alpine Halo 9, and hated it. It was OK, but not having a dial for volume and having to repeatedly tap a touch button drove me nuts. Add on the fact that it was obscured by the steering wheel and either blocked the AC vents or AC controls, I took it out and went back to single DIN.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I tried the Alpine Halo 9, and hated it. It was OK, but not having a dial for volume and having to repeatedly tap a touch button drove me nuts. Add on the fact that it was obscured by the steering wheel and either blocked the AC vents or AC controls, I took it out and went back to single DIN.
Interesting. My Sony partially blocks the AC controls (top half), but I deemed that acceptable (to each their own).

I also wanted to minimize touch interface, so part of my deciding factor was the volume, and track forward/back are hard buttons on the bottom rail (below the screen) for the Sony. Tactile and easy to press/control.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interesting. My Sony partially blocks the AC controls (top half), but I deemed that acceptable (to each their own).

I also wanted to minimize touch interface, so part of my deciding factor was the volume, and track forward/back are hard buttons on the bottom rail (below the screen) for the Sony. Tactile and easy to press/control.
I drive the lotus infrequently enough that I couldn't remember some of the AC settings by feel, and couldn't see the knobs unless I leaned wayyyy over. No dice.

It's a personal preference thing. In the end, the single din is fine for what I need. The only thing I'm lacking is a backup camera, and I'm fixing that with an AIM Mx2E guage cluster.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I drive the lotus infrequently enough that I couldn't remember some of the AC settings by feel, and couldn't see the knobs unless I leaned wayyyy over. No dice.

It's a personal preference thing. In the end, the single din is fine for what I need. The only thing I'm lacking is a backup camera, and I'm fixing that with an AIM Mx2E guage cluster.
Nice - I'm having that dash installed at the moment at Trackspec. Very excited (although not doing a camera for now).

I wanted android auto for Nav... hence I wanted a decent screen.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree you you about knob. I use a Pioneer single din flip out and just leave it open all the time, so I don’t have to worry about the wiper stalk. Granted, it does block the AC vents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm. Something like this might actually be a solution for us Esprit guys who can’t do a pop-out because of the instrument binnacle interference. There may still be issues with shifter interference in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears though.

I just installed a new single DIN Kenwood but might need to look into one of these at some point in the future. Some actual volume and mute buttons on the side of the screen would be nice additions though. Looks like plenty of room for them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh yeah, I agree completely with that. The touch controls at the bottom are awful. The volume controls register about 50% of the time for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edit: Sorry! Double Din!

Doesn't look like this is available anywhere by Australia yet, but the Kenwood DMX9720XDS has a volume knob. The mounting looks more like the Alpine than the Pioneer in terms of flexibility.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
In car pictures of any of these installs?
Sure - Apologies that I didn't take great shots, as I installed it and then dropped it at Trackspec to troubleshoot a different issue in the car. The powered on shot is before I had it locked into position (hence, it's forward) the powered off shot is more accurate, but probably useless :)

I'll update once I get my car back - promise.
(reminder - this is the SONY XAV-AV5000)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts