The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has the Pioneer X930BT (AVIC-X930BT - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth® and 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA ). There are similar versions that cost a little more and have a larger screen.

One thing that annoyed me was that in the larger version you can "talk" to the unit to do navigation but in this unit you can't - that basically means you can't do nav at all while driving. The parking brake must be pulled. Even if you get it hooked up to ignore the parking brake, it still won't work as the GPS will detect you are moving. But, I found the solution:

soft parking brake mod (aka safe mode "bypass" menu) - Hacks/Mods - AVIC411.com

Now if you aren't a computer geek or you don't know one, don't try this. You could end up bricking your system. I spent about a week playing with it - thought I had bricked mine but finally got it.

In order to do test mode, you need the testmode file on the root of your mini SD card. You do NOT need Condi's hackmode - that does a LOT more stuff and frankly caused me more pain than I care to think about now. Testmode is a way to copy and delete files off the device. Its risky - you could end up deleting something and the interface is clunky to say the least. I had to bring my laptop into my car and search around. There are youtube videos that show how testmode works.

Turns out though, ours comes with 3.001 version of the application and this only works on 4.0 version. So you must upgrade to the newer version of the app first (there are ways to do that, search the avic411 forum), then you copy the navi.exe to your SD card, use a hexeditor to play with it as the link shows, then delete the one on the Pioneer and copy your new one back to the Pioneer. Of course, you've made a backup! Thats what saved me - I mucked it up the first time I played with things.

Now that I have this, I love the Pioneer. It also allows you to go into some of the other settings that you couldn't go into before. I don't use the nav all that much so I can't say that the newer app or maps are any better than the older ones - it pretty much looks the same to me.

Worst case - you brick your system and have to buy a new one. Theoretically, you can pay Pioneer to reflash it with the old software but try explaining to them what you did :-(. They probably won't exactly want to support you.

The other thing that forum is useful for is if you forget your password. They fortunately don't set a password. But, I had my car in for service and forgot my password when they returned it to me and for about 2 weeks I couldn't use my system. I finally remembered my password but the forum does have info on how to retrieve it if you get yourself stuck in that situation.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I will be trying this. Super helpful post. Thanks for being the trailblazer on this one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts