The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted the P Zero silver tyres? I do a lot of Freeway driving and was thinking of buying them for the rears.
How are the guys going with the Michelin super sports?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
All how you drive man... Some guys on here say it lasts them a long time, while an equal number say it doesn't last very long. Personally P Zeros last me about 8k on the rears before they're pretty much shot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squid the silvers are suppose to longer wearing than the ones from new and better for freeway driving. I think they only came out in March this year

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
While I have not owned the Silvers, looking at the specs, they have the exact same treadwear rating. So forgive me if I think the claim that it lasts longer than the P Zero is a bit dubious. Then again, actually owning a set, it's only my opinion. The tread pattern is almost the same also, with the exception of being a bit more granular. Personally I think it's a waste of a great tire if you're just commuting back and fourth on the freeway. If you plan on doing regular canyon runs, then they'd be worth the $500 or so per tire.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Treadwear ratings are more marketing than anything else. The Corsas are rated 60 and I already got c. 8,000 miles out of them, and they will last another 3-4,000.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I still stand by my Micheline Super Sports. These things are awesome and have a good 5k miles on them and they don't look remotely broken in. Great for daily driving.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
current issue of C&D:

Did not like regular P Zero in testing; finished last in test,

Loved the Michelin Pilot Super Sport; finished 1st.

Maybe p/u this issue?

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
And who paid for advertising in that issue?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I need new tires. My factory Pirellis lasted 5k. Where are you guys buying your tires from and who do you have install them? I mean does it matter? Could I / should I take it to something like Discount Tire?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I need new tires. My factory Pirellis lasted 5k. Where are you guys buying your tires from and who do you have install them? I mean does it matter? Could I / should I take it to something like Discount Tire?
buy your tires from tire rack and have them drop shipped to an affiliated installer.

or you could just go to discount tires, give them the price and they will price match it.

As for the installer, unless you know they'll do a good job, assume they are boneheads (they pretty much all are monkey see monkey do types) and make sure they use a proper torque wrench. I had to provide one to a tire shop once because they had no such thing.. In fact none of the guys knew what I was talking about when I asked about it (not kidding).

·
Registered
255 Posts
We have a great Discount Tire here in Austin that is located in Lakeway which is a high end area and they handle the Maserati's, Aston's, Ferrari's etc. They take real good care of your wheels. I even drive my car in and out of the shop and can stand and watch them perform. They have one tire removal unit that is specifically for removing tires from alloy wheels. Speak to the manager at your local Discount Tire and see what they offer

·
Illegal Alien
4,615 Posts
I had to provide one to a tire shop once because they had no such thing.. In fact none of the guys knew what I was talking about when I asked about it (not kidding).
Time to run

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Time to run
No doubt...

I was watching them mount my wheels back on the car and I stopped them as soon as I saw them try to tighten my lugnuts with the air impact wrench. I said, "Hey, don't do that. I wanted you to use a torque wrench."
"What is torque?"
"Torque wrench.. Do you have a torque wrench?"
"I don't know."
"Can I talk to your boss?"
"haha sure no problem."
"Hey I specifically ask you guys to use a torque wrench and the guys were using the impact wrench on my wheels. Can you please have them use a torque wrench instead?"
"Ummm.. Let me check.." He proceeds to walk around looking for one.
10 minutes passes.. They can't find one. :thwack: So I pop my trunk and handed them mine to use, as expected. Pathetic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts