1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=102&i=7754

Another excellent review.

"Adding all this equipment has not meant the Elise has lost its edge. 0-60 mph comes at less than 5 seconds, the 1/4 mile is achieved in approxamitly 13 seconds on the way to toping out at over 140 mph. Those numbers make this Elise the fastest road going model yet and it doesn't end there. Unbelievable as it may sound, the handling is even better than before. The new car pushes the bar even higher. "

Steve

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
This is the second source (along with Autoweek, I don't know about reliability of either) to include power windows in the "touring" package.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Steve W said:

"Unbelievable as it may sound, the handling is even better than before.
Do we think they were referring to the standard suspension or Sport???

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Some interesting details. Thanks for the link!

Another mention that power windows are part of the touring package.
Americans will be able to add a "Touring Pack" which will further comfort the buyer with full hide, added sound deading material in the roof and floors, an upgraded sound system and power windows.
the 1/4 mile is achieved in approxamitly 13 seconds on the way to toping out at over 140 mph.
Hmmm....

There is a much more masculine rumble to the engine note.
Seems to go against what Autoweek said.

Optional "Lifestyle" colours are under consideration and may include Chrome Orange and Lazer Blue.
Hmmm... CO may be just another color along with Lazer Blue? Will they drop one of the other Blues off?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: Re: Pistonheads review

ivan1 said:
Do we think they were referring to the standard suspension or Sport???
I would think it is the standard suspension.

And what a great quote:
It will re-establish Lotus as a premiere sports car manufacturer in the largest market in the world. The Elise does beg the question; with this car so good, how will Lotus ever be able to top it? I suppose we'll have to stay tuned to find out.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
let's see.............

1) I was refering to the standard suspension

2) The final decision on what is going to be part of the standard package and what will be part of the touring package will be in by months end. But at this point......

3) The optional colors, including chrome orange and possibly lazer blue are also on the list of items to be finalized before Janurary 1. Don't get too excited or upset as this option as a whole, let alone specific colors, is still up in the air. Likely but not final. The standard colors as announced are final (meaning both standard blues will remain)

4) I did mean oversteer. See the Top Gear video of the S2 "s" car to see what I mean. Relax, the Fed Elise will blow your socks off and, as has been stated before, this car is far superior to the European model. Much easier to drive and much more capable as well.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Pistonheads review

Randy Chase said:
I would think it is the standard suspension.

And what a great quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It will re-establish Lotus as a premiere sports car manufacturer in the largest market in the world. The Elise does beg the question; with this car so good, how will Lotus ever be able to top it? I suppose we'll have to stay tuned to find out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is not the first time this has happened. We don't have to go far to find demons like the 993 or the Ducati 916/996/998. Both of these are examples of how the followup even better technically and mechanically lacked the soul and spirit of it's forefather. Both camps have strong proponents of what was and what is, i.e the 996 and Ducati 999, both aesthetically and mechanically.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
wallabyguy said:
let's see.............

4) I did mean oversteer. See the Top Gear video of the S2 "s" car to see what I mean. Relax, the Fed Elise will blow your socks off and, as has been stated before, this car is far superior to the European model. Much easier to drive and much more capable as well.
Well of course you did!:D Can you give us some more details about the experience? Did you drive it in Hethel, how much time did you have with the car, are you a regular contributor to Pistonheads, any word of Gunmetal being put into the options list, how was the shift action (i.e. rubbery, or direct) and lastly how was the engine sound when the revs went above 6K revs? TIA. Nice article btw.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
This took me a second to digest and comprehend, but Robert is the Rob that wrote the article?

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
JD,

I am new to Pistonheads but will be a regular contributor concentrating on the US market. The focus of my material will be on Lotus. I can't say a whole lot about the car other than what I wrote. I should be attending the media launch later this month and will have much more in the way of firm details then. I'd rather give you the honest answer than a bunch of guesses and unconfirmed facts (like some other magazines which recently published).

You need to remember that the production cars will not roll off the line until spring so my impressions, as well as those of the other writers are entirely based on mules. Most of these cars are mixes of european and proposed federal specifications and finishes so you need to be careful. The shift is not rubbery but is actually somewhat notchy but not necessarily in a bad way. Actually it is not unlike the S2 S111. The production model should be a bit more massaged and fluid. Regardless, when you're in gear, you know it.

As far as options, I know a lot and again will only tell you what I know won't bite me in the rear. As far as paint, the announced colors are final. The optional colors are under discussion. It's important to note that worldwide, the colors ave recently changed for the car and colors like Lazer Blue are technically discontinued. Gunmetal is a very nice color but might be too close to Titanium for Lotus to list as a option. But don't take that as gospel. Arnie is working overtime to make as many of us happy as possible.

As an aside, when you read the articles and reviews of the car from Pistonheads or elsewhere, understand that many of the specifications and final settings for the car are still being fine tuned. Are they close? Very. But still not final. Statements regarding "programs" and specific costs are preliminary and should not be taken to the bank quite yet. To mention them in an attempt to be the first on the scope, also brings the danger of being made a fool and in the future and unrespected in the automotive community. Sometimes getting it almost right can be worse than not saying anything at all. A perfect example with the Elise was Top Gear about 18 months ago pronouncing that the Elise would have a Toyota 6 from the Camry. Why? Because a spy picture had shown dual exhaust from the center of the rear diffuser. Everybody got all excited about a 6 cylinder Elise and the chat boards went nuts. As we know now, they were close but far enough off that now in hind sight that they look like schmucks now. I will be writing a follow up report come early January which will be armed with the facts from the Lotus directly and officially. In the mean time take solace that what you have read about the car's abilities is true of the prototypes and the production cars will be even better. As far as programs and options, again Lotus Cars USA and Lotus Cars are working overtime to offer the buyers an array of opportunities some of which haven't even been hinted at yet. Relax, wait for things to be official. Remember, all good things..............

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
wallabyguy said:
JD,

I am new to Pistonheads but will be a regular contributor concentrating on the US market. Relax, wait for things to be official. Remember, all good things..............
Thanks for the response and congrats on the job- that has got to be a thrill.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I just hope the price doesnt keep going north. I can swing $43,000 or so for the total package, tax title etc, but if I start getting over that Im gonna start sweating.

I dont care if I have the touring pack, all I want option wise is the hardtop.

Think I'll make it?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Nice to have more of a "insider" viewpoint of what's going on. Could well image there are lot of fine details to be decide on. Certainly take all of these reports more as of this moment. It's kind of fun is see it evolve. We're getting close, it wouldn't be long now.

OFM- looks like $39k to start $1.5k for hardtop $40.5K, out the door would be around $44k, might need/want to get the hardtop later.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
One Fast Miata,

Simply put, Yes. There some things to remember however.

1) The Dollar v. Pound exchange is not pretty.

2) There may be variation on what is and what isn't included in the base car but what I wrote in the article is accurate as of when it was released (today).

3) Look for the car to be close to, but below $40k and with the hardtop there should be no problem staying below $43k.

4) Remember the M100 Elan of the early 90's? It was promised to be here in 89 and at $30k. When it got here 2 years later and at $40k it had lost sales to the miata (which although was much further down market, hit the streets earlier and grabbed much of the same buyers), and had a lot of early deposit holders very upset. Was the M100 a good car, No it was a Lotus and was a great car! But by the end of the first model year, the car was doomed. GM's history on pulling the plug early on cars on the upswing as well as the market down turn also didn't help.

Lotus has a lot riding on this and will not be killing anyone on this car. The dealers may, but not Lotus. Now as for the 2006-7 car or for that matter annual price increases between now and then, I would expect them. This is not based on what I've been told but rather common sense. Lotus has to stay close to what they had stated earlier in order to keep from reliving the m100 again even if it means taking a slight hit up front. Later on down the line, the exchange rate may catch up with the price.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts