The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the shop manual for my Elise and noticed that the front clam attachment screw that sits right behind the door hinge, that one that is the biggest pain in the a** and took me forever to get out and back in, is not actually needed according to Lotus. I wish I saw this before I just finished putting my front clam back on…:wallbang:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yeah, I left those off of my clam when I reinstalled. Just have the one in front of it that is easily accessible right behind the wheel liner. Been that way for a year with no problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those two bolts alone probably took me an hour. Good to know for next time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Took me less than two minutes each to do mine. I used a 10mm racheting wrench.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took me less than two minutes each to do mine. I used a 10mm racheting wrench.
I could not find a ratchet that would fit in the space. Are you sure you are not refering the bolt that is access from the wheelwell? Oh well, maybe that is why I do real estate and am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
"CLAM SCREW" - this thread was not what I thought it would be ..... oh well. :shrug: :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"CLAM SCREW" - this thread was not what I thought it would be ..... oh well. :shrug: :D
:D No matter how many times my friends and I joke about the "clam" it never gets old.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Good thing to keep in mind when and if i go to remove my clam.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
If we're discussing the screws I think we are:

The shop manual says something like "No bolt goes here"

When the bodyshop did put them in, my door fouled my fender.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If we're discussing the screws I think we are:

The shop manual says something like "No bolt goes here"

When the bodyshop did put them in, my door fouled my fender.
That's correct, that is the location we are talking about. Mine had a bolt there on each side from the factory, but I went ahead and left it out on reassembly. Here is a picture from the service manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I could not find a ratchet that would fit in the space. Are you sure you are not refering the bolt that is access from the wheelwell? Oh well, maybe that is why I do real estate and am not a mechanic.
I suspect you are thinking of a ratcheting socket wrench, but I think he is saying he used a ratcheting box wrench. The ratcheting box wrench is what I used and it does make the job very easy.

Example:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a set of flexible gear wrenches (like in Baysailor's pic, except with a flexible joint), and there is no way my 10mm gear wrench will fit in there. There's hardly enough room for the bolt. A socket will definitely not fit because the height of the socket plus the width of the socket wrench would never have enough room. The only wrench I got to fit is an open ended crescent wrench.

Well I've spent about 4 hours total trying to get those bolts threaded, and just now found this thread. When I took the clam off, I thought that whomever had put it on before me forgot those two bolts. The holes where the bolt would have been were broken, so I spent another two hours fabricating a section out of epoxy for the bolt to go through. I should have looked more closely at my service notes - it also clearly says "No fixing used in this position". As Homer Simpson would say... Doh!!! How did I miss that!? :wallbang: :wallbang::wallbang:

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
trust me, you are not alone...

even dealers make this error.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
After getting it off I just notched the loop on the clam for the bolt. Then put the bolt in most of the way before putting on the clam. The when I put the clam on I slipped the bolts through the notch and only need to tighten a little.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts