The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Somewhat new to the community and wondering if anyone knows of good shops. I am looking to do a few things here and figured to get it all done at once. So the previous owner had scraped/cracked the notorious "teeth" of the front clam and wondered if that is repairable or not. It is unnoticeable from front of clam but if you were to look under, its pretty much a hole. Can that be bondo? I'm thinking it doesnt affect the car anyways but I dont know really. Once that is repaired, I would go ahead and repair/repaint the millions of rock chips on the bumper portion of the front clam. And than have Starshield/clear bra installed.

If you can provide maybe an estimate on the cost, that would be great as well. Hopefully not a place that can cost me an arm and leg, but if that is the best option, I might need to start looking into prosthetics :facepalm.

I had bought the car back in October 2013 and unfortunately it did not come with a Starshield. My mistake was not having it installed when I first purchased and just with a handful of spirited driving, I have accumulated quite a bit of chips. I live in the Chicagoland area, or west suburbs to be exact. I know of TJ in Indy, but figured since this job isnt really Lotus specific, maybe someone knows a place more local.

Thanks in advance

Gabe

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
my 2 cents is that there really is no such thing as a rock chip repair that isn't noticeable. Cover it, decide you don't care, or respray. (This is based off the idea of having many rock chips, i wouldn't respray for just one)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you are worried about rock chips, you might as well just park your car for the year. These cars get destroyed by road debris... even with star shield. If minor cosmetic flaws bother you, you're missing the whole purpose of all things Lotus.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Give us some pics.

You should definitely invest in the underclam protectors sold here on the forum.

And where is 'west'? Boyce Bodywerks in Batavia does very nice work.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Q: What color is the car?
Q: How big (or small) are the chips?
Q: Do you plan to put a clear film on?

Can the scrapes underneath be filled? --of course. Will it last? To some degree. If the scrape is not completely through the surface, spot putty (comes in a tube--like toothpaste) can be reasonably applied by a novice, sanded smooth and touched up with paint -- depending on the color and location, it will be hard to detect.

as to "there really is no such thing as a rock chip repair that isn't noticeable." assertion, I would disagree. My experience with the Dr, Colorchip product has been exceptional. For small nicks(pin head to small grain of rice), their two part process was undetectable when properly used -- and this was on a metallic (seal grey/dark silver)paint job. I've not tried their product on the chrome orange, but I did use several other of their colors on dif cars, all to the same outstanding result. (No affiliation with them, etc).

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys. The color of my car is Graphite Grey.

Pooter, I try to drive my car as much as possible. It's not that I'm so much worried about all the chipping but at the same time thinking of ways to prevent so much of it. I know these cars are meant to be driven and it's inevitable that this will happen but i know we all would like to keep are cars in the best condition as possible. I feel adding a clear bra would prevent a lot of the chipping as it did with my past cars. I'm not sure I agree that because I'm trying to find ways to prevent so much rock chips or prolong the looks of my car, "I'm missing the whole point of all things Lotus."

JD, thanks I will look into them.

Swinglo, I will try to get some during daylight. It's very unnoticeable during the night but in the sun they seem to stand out much more.

ML1, the color is graphite grey and why it stands out more. I would say its more like tiny nicks but quite a bit of it. And yes I do plan to put clear film on it after repair. This Dr Chip has peaked my interest and the color of my car is similar to your example. I will look into that as well.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gabe, I pretty much did the same thing. Previous owner said it had starshield, turns out of course it's only on the upper portion of the clam. Maybe I should of had a pit stop to have it installed :X. So anyhow, this car chips 100x more easily than any car I've owned. The front is made of paper it seems, and of course how low it is.

I recently acquired a TON of stone chips on my lower front clam way back from CA->WA, more than I ever thought a car could get. I don't plan on selling it, but I do want to fix mine and put protection on... I'll post some pics of my chips as well.

I'm also chrome orange. I purchased some touch up paint but I'll try to keep you posted. Not sure if I'm going DIY or what, also could use advise on this.

There's a ton of chips on the rocker panel as well, but that is more expected.

Edit: in an effort to not steal your thread, I added one here to interor/exterior. Maybe it can help you as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts