The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
very nice.. sounds almost as loud as the original plack. only you don't get the burbles/pops and exquisite idle. but I suppose theres significantly less drone at low gears.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only drones between 1700 and 2100 rpm, but the drone level is still lower than the original Plack. Outside of that range it is considerably quiet, unless you go higher :) It still feels as good to press on the gas pedal as it does with the original Plack. The exhaust sounds really nice over 3000rpm!

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
769 Posts
It only drones between 1700 and 2100 rpm, but the drone level is still lower than the original Plack. Outside of that range it is considerably quiet, unless you go higher :) It still feels as good to press on the gas pedal as it does with the original Plack. The exhaust sounds really nice over 3000rpm!
How much louder is it than the Larini exhaust for the same Evora NA?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@georgiadawgs98: I will fit the Larini exhaust with decat pipe next week, and I'll compare the two and let you know then. Starting, taking off, and drive-by videos, I'll try to get those next week as well.

I'm selling it because of the drone between 1700 and 2100 rpm. It was the primary reason why I asked Jeremy for a Plack Jr. in the first place. But as I said the drone here is still lower than that in the original Plack. I personally have a low tolerance for drones, but other than that, I am pretty happy with how the Plack Jr. has turned out. Many people are satisfied with their original Plack exhausts, so I think this Plack Jr. is for someone who would like:
1) a quieter startup,
2) drone-less to relatively lower drone around the rpms,
3) still the same growl and lion-like roar

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
769 Posts
@georgiadawgs98: I will fit the Larini exhaust with decat pipe next week, and I'll compare the two and let you know then. Starting, taking off, and drive-by videos, I'll try to get those next week as well.

I'm selling it because of the drone between 1700 and 2100 rpm. It was the primary reason why I asked Jeremy for a Plack Jr. in the first place. But as I said the drone here is still lower than that in the original Plack. I personally have a low tolerance for drones, but other than that, I am pretty happy with how the Plack Jr. has turned out. Many people are satisfied with their original Plack exhausts, so I think this Plack Jr. is for someone who would like:
1) a quieter startup,
2) drone-less to relatively lower drone around the rpms,
3) still the same growl and lion-like roar

Much obliged! :UK:

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Gonna test it and compare it to Larini. See if the $1500+ for a Larini setup is worth it, or Jeremy has cornered the Evora market. Got to admit most of these aftermarket exhaust choices are "greedy" pricey for a $200 can and $100 worth of pipe max+ the $100 labor it takes to fabricate. 300+% mark up. Engineers correct me if my numbers are off.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I agree that exhaust can be pricey
but.....
Some of that money goes to design ,R&D, stocking and just plain old skill. We all need to make money to afford great things like, for example, a Lotus
I'm sure many people balk at a lot professions for making too much. At least with an exhaust there is a product.
don't get caught in the trap of oversimplifying some ones work. People may look at your profession and do the same (people do with mine all the time)
In the end we pay the price because we cannot do a better job ourselves or cannot find someone else who can.
We are lucky that Jeremy can and sells at a reasonable price. Jeremy is not trying to make a living off his product.
We need to keep a health aftermarket industry for Lotus or we will be forced to pay even higher prices for OEM only
Just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
My only point here was I would be fine with a $1000 price. Actually I'm OK with the exhaust price but $239 for a pipe!!!!!!! Just sayin and remember I did have one of these Larini systems on my 2010 Evora. Great product. But if Jeremy 's product is as good for half the price, logic dictates......

BTW as a DC I'm sure you and I agree that our level of training is many, many magnitude greater than most people will ever realize.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
My only point here was I would be fine with a $1000 price. Actually I'm OK with the exhaust price but $239 for a pipe!!!!!!! Just sayin and remember I did have one of these Larini systems on my 2010 Evora. Great product. But if Jeremy 's product is as good for half the price, logic dictates......

BTW as a DC I'm sure you and I agree that our level of training is many, many magnitude greater than most people will ever realize.

Just goes to show what a little ingenuity can produce :up:

I thought we just "popped" backs :facepalm

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
769 Posts
Gonna test it and compare it to Larini. See if the $1500+ for a Larini setup is worth it, or Jeremy has cornered the Evora market. Got to admit most of these aftermarket exhaust choices are "greedy" pricey for a $200 can and $100 worth of pipe max+ the $100 labor it takes to fabricate. 300+% mark up. Engineers correct me if my numbers are off.
Please do share the information regarding the difference between the Larini/pipe Exhaust and the Plack Jr Exhaust. Which sounds better when starting it, idling, drive by at low and high rpms. Much Obliged! :UK:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My only point here was I would be fine with a $1000 price. Actually I'm OK with the exhaust price but $239 for a pipe!!!!!!!
John, so for your 2011 S, if you were to order a pipe it would be $250 + tax :p Also apparently there is an error on Sector111's website where they are categorizing the pipes by "'10+ Evora" vs. "Evora S". This caused me a problem when I tried to install a "'10+ Evora" pipe on my 2012 Evora NA because the flanges don't fit and the categories should really be: "'09-'11 Evora NA" vs. "'11+ Evora S and '12+ Evora".

I've just talked to Sector111 on the phone about this and let's see if they are willing to reimburse my failed installation attempt due to their own mistake.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Agreed, that they need to spend a bit more time on the website for us Evora folks. There listing is incorrect as it stands presently. Should be a nonissue as its a pipe, just mail new one with a RA shipping tab and send incorrect one back.

:scratchhead:Why Lotus needed to make the changes if they had set things up correctly from the get go is the real issue here.:facepalm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweet! Sector111 agreed to reimburse, again! Their customer service is awesome!! :D Guys go buy parts from them lol :D

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Time for initial eval seen as I installed it last night.
1. First, it is well built and solid. Not sure why they choose to squeeze it in over rear sway bear when the entire bay is available from the stock can.
2. It is light, (saves 30 lbs!), the pipes lined up perfectly once I smartened up and bolted it to chassis first then tightened up pipe. A bit concerned that there is no vibration (rubber inserts) built into install as the first thing I notice is beyond a drone, at low rpms engine vibrations transmit directly thru chassis. Also concerned at engine movement over time and what gives first!
3. With windows open the classic Flowmaster drone is present from ~1500 to 2500 rpms. Has a deep, ballsy sound and is great at WOT. Time will tell if its tolerable as a DD exhaust. Backside feels lighter and definitely less restrictive. I can can tell ECU is relearning a bit at present.
4. Will be NO issues at the track. Will drive a few days and be honest in overall feelings.

Larini was crisper, more staccato sounding and less drone. It is a better exhaust and at only 3.4 lbs more, weight is a non issue but it is DOUBLE the price so.......

1 - 20 of 56 Posts