The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an 07 Elise with 20k miles and I am planning a road trip (if possible) to Los Angeles to visit some old friends.

From my calculations its about 1450 miles each way, and I'll be going through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California to get there in probably some of the hottest heat of the year.

Do you guys have any concerns for me regarding this?

My biggest concerns, really are my tires and the overall heat/wear on the car. I planned on perhaps making 1 stop. But if I have to, I could try to drive only at night and stop 1-2 times during the day to rest.

Let me know what you guys think, and what I should consider and prepare for before going. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
If your AC is working well, I think this is fine. You could do it in one day. :)

I drove the Elise from Austin to San Diego in summer in one day. But really, it was a little brutal and 1450 miles, if you did not have to do in one leg, I would make a stop halfway like in Las Cruces (if you are doing I-10) or Albuquerque (for I-40).

Make sure your tires are good before you go and properly inflated of course.

Keep the top on, specially during the day. The wind and sun and noise will tire you out. I used etymotic ear plugs to reduce noise. Bring tunes.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wait until it's not so hot. Watch out for bugs in North Texas. Take a car with better air conditioning. Buy an ice suit. Don't subject passengers to the brutality you are going to undertake. Mostly, good luck and have fun!

The car will be fine. It can handle much much worse.

BTW, I did this drive. I drove from Memphis to Dallas and then from Dallas to LA. I did it at the end of May right before the worst heat hit the west and survived to tell the tale. I drove the Texas at night and in the morning.

Just spend the day driving around DFW on the highways and you will get an idea what you are in for. Dallas is going to be about as hot (and more humid) as anywhere else you drive. The dry heat as you head west is not worse than the heat you get now. I used to live there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1) as mentioned, keep the top on. If nothing else, it will save you from severe sun burning.
2) Keep plenty of fluids available and drink regularly even if you're not thirsty. If you aren't using the restroom at every fuel stop in warm weather, you probably aren't getting enough liquid. Even if you don't feel the effects on the trip, it could lead to kidney stones down the road. -eek-
3) If you feel any drowsiness, pull over at the 1st opportunity and take a short nap. It can be amazing how a 15 min. nap can drive away drowsiness for many hours afterwards. Even if you just woke up and hit the road - nap if you are drowsy. I did a 19 hour drive from Rawlins, WY to Seattle, WA. I woke up, was drowsy within 20 minutes of hitting the road, took a 20 min. nap, and was good for the remaining 17 hours of driving.
4) Second the earplug idea. I always use them for any extended drive in the Elise.
5) Make sure your tires have plenty of tread depth. It may be hot, but sudden, heavy thundershowers are not unknown on that route. If you have minimal tread depth on tires that are already less than ideal in the wet, it could be disastrous (unless you pull over and stop whenever it rains.)

DLY

·
Registered
310 Posts
My advice: Drive a different car. I bought my Elise in LA and drove it back to Utah. I was sore and stiff for 3 days after.
BUT! - it was the by far the most exciting and most fun road trip I have ever done. It's a love hate thing when it comes to the elise and long road trips.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I brought my Elise back from Florida to Texas last June. I took my wife with me and we broke the drive up over 3 days @ about 500 miles each day. It was fun the first 2 days. She didn't say a word to me the last day...

It was pretty hot and the AC worked OK but it was still too hot to do it again. I'd get some of the low tack rocker shields from SDD and put 'em on before you go. Use some of the extra material to cover up some of the high impact areas in the front of the car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my son and I drove the elise home to san diego from the St louis dealership, we did it over 2 days but it was in december.

It should make it just fine. We stopped in Las Cruces too!

And lemme tell you the roads going west in New Mex are a good place to open her up. The middle of nowhere, no cops, no nothing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
419 Posts
almost forgot slow WAY down thru AZ, cause that place is crawling with the popo. Dont speed there if you dont want a tickey!:cool:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Was on I-10 two or three weeks ago, (Tell the Police in Hatch NM Hi) See the Tombstone thread for pictures.

Had some problems with the air conditioner freezing up in AZ at extended periods of 4500+ rpm runs (like a full tank of gas at a time extended periods). Nothing that turning the air off for 10 min or so wouldn’t fix. The air on my 06 would never freeze you out, but kept you from sweating.

I had a small piece of foam rubber that I used for a lumbar support and that made the car very tolerable for 13 hr stints. Only real comfort problem the wife and I had was the pain in my a$$ at the end of the trip from pushing the gas pedal! After putting on 2000+ miles in one weekend I would have loved cruse control!

There are a lot of road paving sections, so be nice to the workers, but not bad all in all.

As for speed, it seemed like if you kept it under 85, they were pretty understanding, but the Speed limit is 75 so….

Traveled with some cars that had laser jammers and radar detectors and there was one 50+ mile section on I-10 that the tach neverfell below 5000 rpm in 6th gear, but I really cant legally recommend that.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Take I-40 through AZ, it's much prettier and probably 10-15°F cooler (which will be small consolation this time of year). Keep the lid in for most of the trip. Take the lid off in Flagstaff and go south on 89 to Sedona. When you get there you'll notice most of the highway workers (at least the ones handling traffic control) are supermodels - female supermodels. It's just plain weird. I wish Caltrans had similar hiring practices. Go back up 89 put the lid back on and proceed west. If you're running AO48s, take a different car. If you're running AD07s, don't be a candy ass, take the Lotus. Don't take a passenger, they can get cranky. The thunderstorms are sudden and severe. I got caught in a flash flood in Needles in 1990. Also, take 66 out of Kingman AZ. It goes through a mining town called Oatman - very peculiar and interesting. Great driving road as well.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I kinda like the I-40 route, have done both a number of times.

And you can stop in Winslow AZ too and a few other Route 66 places.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm going to do this trip (Dallas to San Francisco) this summer in a Caterham superlight with my wife. Planning to go dallas - sante fe - flagstaff - north rim grand canyon - las vegas - santa barbara - big sur then some other version for return trip. Its either going to be brilliant or totally insane. We drove it to Aspen for LOG a few years ago, so we sort of know what we're getting into. If I survive I'll post pics.

Back on point, this should be easy in an elise. Water, top on, ear plugs, beef jerky - no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts