The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best attachment recommendation to replace the plastic door pull on my Elise.

thanks!

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
$7.00 OEM from Lotus

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a new insert: just looking for a ‘glue’ recommendation...

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
Ah I'm going to use black silicone rather than a polysulfide. It will be the easier of the two should down the road replacement become necessary.

Reactions: chuparkoff

·
Registered
888 Posts
Urethane glue, like windshield stuff

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I used black RTV adhesive sealant. not as rigid but holds befect and still removable,

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
210 Posts
I used double sided tape from home depot for a quick fix, and its lasted about a month and is working just fine, but i will eventually go to an adhesive, but since its sticking fine Im going to leave it till summer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Black silicone adhesive sealant is what I used to repair mine. It worked great and you can easily clean off the access with paint thinner. Make sure you get the adhesive and not the gasket maker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did both sides on mine last year and use black RTV. They held for a few days but then one popped off shortly followed by the other side. I ended up sanding the underside of the plastic door pull and used the RTV again. They seem to be holding great now. If you dont use some kind of overkill adhesive like the factory uses, I recommend that little extra step as it seems to help quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I used a Permatex auto trim adhesive I got at the autoparts store. Its kinda like a super-duty rubber cement, so its very forgiving...lots of time available to apply to one or both parts. I remember taping it down with blue painter tape for a few hours. Those OEM pulls don’t really fit perfect against the fiberglass of the door, but there is a bunch of flex in the plastic door handle insert to accommodate for that. Clean up is easy (I forget, maybe mineral spirits?).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What grit sand paper are you using to rough the handle under side? I am assuming this is the portion that is horizontal to the door ledge?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm curious if this is typically how the us Elise doors are built. Earlier Euro elises had a fiberglass sleeve inside the plastic. I finished mine.
IMG_20200416_203658922.jpg

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
What grit sand paper are you using to rough the handle under side? I am assuming this is the portion that is horizontal to the door ledge?
anything between 100 and 160 should do the trick.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
210 Posts
Mine did not have a crevice like that, when off it looks into the door well.

I'm curious if this is typically how the us Elise doors are built. Earlier Euro elises had a fiberglass sleeve inside the plastic. I finished mine.
View attachment 1261514

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ALL: I ended up using "Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant" - WORKED GREAT! and clean.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts