The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Has anyone replaced the plastic screws that hold the rear tray molding to the frame with real (metal) screws and washers? I think there are 4 above the rear speakers adjacent to the interior light and 5 additional that hold the top piece of plastic to the roof.

I have already covered all edges in the thick sticky felt that was discussed in another thread. However, depending on the outside temperature, I still get lots of noise from both this rear area and the front edge of the dash.

The annoying squeaks and sounds from the incredibly cheap plastic pieces is the most obnoxious thing about owning this car. Hopefully the Evora's interior is a little higher quality ...?

tldr: metal replacement screws for the plastic interior ones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I had to use some plastic rivets that were slightly too large, but they ended up really helping hold the panel tighter. You definitely might be onto something. Maybe body nuts like what hold the undertray would work?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ugh I gotta do this and the felt, mine rattles and squeaks soo much, sometimes one part makes this high pitch vibrating noise, down by where the shifter console meets that back panel, are there any good threads on fixing that? Do you have to pull the seats to take that panel out?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am getting ready to reinstall my rear panel, I will take a look tonight to see about the possibility of using body nuts or similar.

I know about using the fabric side of Velcro but what type of felt are you guys talking about? I also considered anti-chafing tape behind my rear top mounts as the drivers one squeaks pretty bad.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ugh I gotta do this and the felt, mine rattles and squeaks soo much, sometimes one part makes this high pitch vibrating noise, down by where the shifter console meets that back panel, are there any good threads on fixing that? Do you have to pull the seats to take that panel out?
let's have a rattle and squeak show down...I might win!

Do you have a random rattle when the car is at idle? Mine is smooth idling then it get a sound like sheet metal ticking for like 10 seconds then it's good, then again and so on. Then I'll have what feels like drive line vibrations that come and go, but the rpm gauge always stays the same. Bla.

I need to figure out what is normal and not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Most of my rattles I traced down to the heat shields or a loose diffuser bolt. In some areas of the interior around the rear panel I put Hushmat and sound deadening foam. The plastic louvers on my trunklid were slightly loose and rattled so I used Hushmat to seal them in tighter. I also had a rattle coming from the little brake light that is above the back window. I removed it, filled it with foam insulation, and it stopped.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I took a look at the rear panel mounting tonight and here is a photo...

It would be pretty easy to replace the plastic fasteners with 1/4" threaded rivets if desired but that seems like overkill. I am going to put felt on the mounting points to see how that works.

·
Registered
273 Posts
After going back-and-forth between just using the felt or also going with metal screws, I settled on the metal. I used 1/4" threaded rivets (I don't have any metric sizes) in all standoffs and secured the panel (felt installed) with stainless socket head cap screws. It draws the panel up nice and tight but I am not sure if it will help with the squeaking as most of that seems to come from the panel meeting at the interior roll bar cover. But, I figured, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
It looks cool, at least! Let us know how it helps with the sound.

When I bought my car, every single screw there was missing, but I didn't notice at first since I was looking for it. The noise was not terrible at first but then got worse as months went by. When I noticed they were missing, I got some from a parts store. They had the right size but not enough, so I ended up with a couple that didn't for right. That still got it very close, but again it sounded like it loosened up a bit over time. Screws sound to be a much better way to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
686 Posts
I was doing maintenace and had to move the car around a bit, so while it was idling i revved it a bit with the undertray off, and discovered a good portion of the vibes was coming from there, going to fix those, but I know when driving that panel behind the seats makes some crazy buzzing at certain RPMS.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Just use well nuts. You can find them at Home Depot for a few cent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts