The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the ring had some grease smeared on it, but in fact it was the paint rubbing off, so when I went to wipe it off more paint came off.

Does the ring easily seperate so that I can repaint it properly?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I thought the ring had some grease smeared on it, but in fact it was the paint rubbing off, so when I went to wipe it off more paint came off.

Does the ring easily seperate so that I can repaint it properly?

Same thing happened to me, it is part of the air bag, and is caused by an incompatible cleaner. I had to have my air bag replaced.I would suggest removing the air bag and refinishing the trim.
Michael

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Perhaps it's time to upgrade to an aftermarket wheel, if you don't need/want your airbag anymore. The OMP wheel I installed was a huge upgrade in terms of feels.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that kinda sucks. Deroure would only be $300 for the module, but Lotus Garage is $490. But it doesn't matter because it sounds like only a dealer is allowed to sell it.

How do you remove the air bag module?

Never mind, looks like its easy as hell to get off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought an '06 Elise and have the same problem.

My plan was to remove the wheel and do some plastidip black spray on the silver ring. Anyone heard of someone else doing this on an Elise? A quick google showed a lot of other cars doing it with some success.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love how you took the pic while you were doing 80mph

because taking one at a stop would have been too easy! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone considered just removing the rest of the silver paint on the ring and just having a black ring? I think it wouldn't be a bad look and you could always paint it later if you grow tired of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wheel as I bought it...
Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 9.01.05 PM.png

Removed the airbag tonight, 5mm hex on both sides of the wheel (disconnected battery first).

There is a small electric connector on the back.

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 8.55.12 PM.png

After removing it I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol... which definitely eats into the center black part and makes it soft :-/

I then sprayed 3 coats of Plasti Dip Spray on it, wrapped it with papertowels to prevent overspray.

After it dried, I took a razor around the center emblem and then cleaned out the indentation in between the airbag and grey ring. You'll notice in the 2nd picture originally i planned to just clean it up as I sprayed... much better idea to just cut it out when it's done.

Will put it back in the car tomorrow but I think it looks much better :)

Anyone know how well the plasti dip spray cleans?

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
550 Posts
Good 'on you!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Another great plastidip story! Let us know how it holds up.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
wow, I bought another airbag vs. trying this after everyone poo-pooed me spraying it with a thin film. I may recondition my original and sell the nice one.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Plastidip rocks. I had my entire interior done in suede, and it browned very fast. I pulled it all off, and even after hours of sanding ALL the interior plastics were still yellow from the glue, so....I covered ALL of it in plastidip :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts