The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing this because we always see threads pop up asking for black raised letter emblems.

Well, we can steal the tuner kid's ideas. Simply spray it with Plastidip and you have your black emblems that are COMPLETELY reversible.

Pretty simple:

- mask around the emblem (leave about a 1/2 gap) and mask the paint
- spray your Plastidip - 4 even coats spaced 15 min apart
- wait about 40 min and peel away the excess - don't even need to 'score' it - it will peel along the edge of the letter. You could use a toothpick if you want to help it along.

If you get any overspray, it will wipe right off with a some elbow grease or super quickly with a clay bar.

Plastidip is found in aerosol cans in the spray paint section at Lowes and Home D. Black emblems for $5.

And if you don't like it, peel it right off.

This stuff is awesome. I use it as a spray on condom! :)

Here's a pic of how I did it on my Jeep. Easy peasy lemon squeeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had plastidipped their lotus and asked about it in the matte black lotus thread a week or so ago. Might do my rear letters and see how they turn out.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
THis will not work on a Lotus badge unless you want a black disc on your car. It would work on raised lettering that says Lotus, Evora, Exige, Elise etc.

I used it on the front grills of an ELise when they developed that white discoloring and it worked fine, though I didn't try "Black Again which probably would have worked as well.

I also used it on a liscence plate frame to black out the dealer lettering and did a front plate from a dealer for the same reason.

Good product. Jeep lettering looks good.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I recently did this with my brother as he asked me to help him black out his Mazdaspeed 3 emblems. In the end we were both glad that it was reversible as the results of the finished piece were less than I had hoped. We wathced several how to videos and I am good with a rattle can. We did exactly as instructed and built up an even layer over several coats and allowed for proper curing time. The problem in the end was that there was a slight texture to it, and it does NOT hold up well against pressure washer sprayers or even a drying towel. The stuff will peal off pretty easily. In the end- if you want the look, you simply have to buy replacement black badges. Otherwise it looks "home-made" my 2 cents...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I plan to plastidip my rims.. So sick of cleaning them. I've got case of plastidip I bought a while back but haven't had time to do this...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have used it on my Cooper S and "plastidipped" all the chrome headlight rings front and back. Looks great and no sign of wear. Great thing as it is reversible!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys - again for those planning on doing this- it takes about 9 seconds. The 'work' is waiting between coats.

Easy.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
How well does this hold up when washing/waxing the car? I usually wax right over the lotus letters and wouldn't want to have to redo this every time.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've used Plasti-Dip on both of my cars and it's held up incredibly well. It's extremely durable and easily removed. However, as stated above, it's a slightly rough texture when seen up close. From a foot away you wouldn't be able to tell.

Plasti-Dip also sells a Glossifier that turns the matte to somewhat of a Satin/Gloss finish. Haven't tried it yet, but heard good things. Although a painted professional job would look better -- for the price (less than $5) and the ease at which it's removed, it's unbeatable.

How well does this hold up when washing/waxing the car? I usually wax right over the lotus letters and wouldn't want to have to redo this every time.
With several coats, it holds up very well. No issues so far - even with using a high pressure spray/wash.

On the Prius:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
check out youtube, there are dozens of how-to videos on plastidipping emblems as well as tires, bumpers, trim, you name it...

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used it on my front spoiler (painted while OFF the car), and haven't washed it yet, but it looks to have held up quite well despite a couple trips through some dirt/rocks at the track. I did 4 coats, and didn't notice any chips, even though the zip-tie holding my splitter on did break.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts